G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Headlights painted black. *pics and hits*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Headlights painted black. *pics and hits*

Ok guys just wanted to share this.
I painted my headlights glossy black yesterday on my G35s Blue Slate (will try and add more pics later). Well after doing this I gotta admit that YES it does look more clean and just a much better flow with the car. But still if you have a lighter color G like white or silver this mod IS A MUST! Looks much better with lighter colors!
Before doing this mod I was skeptical how it would look on Blue Slate itself. Thanks to apexi957s pics of how it looked on Blue Slate, I just went for it. Overall I'm happy with this mod!

I know that many are afraid to do this, and for some this is easier to do then for others, but you still need to be carefull when doing this, and I'll admit this is not a simple mod to do. For some, some things are self explanatory, and for others it will take more time. This is a time consuming mod, especially when you're trying to make this look good.

Apexi957s has pretty good thread there about this, but I'll add some more of the tips of what you should be aware off when doing this. Not all mention everything in complete detail cause there's just too much to list.

...Organization is A MUST! unless you're a Brainiac.

1st: When taking all the wiring out you have to note/remember how they all go back. Taking pictures for some will help greatly, especially if you usually have hard time remembering what goes where later.

2nd: Also note what bolts go where in the headlight. Not all bolts are the same!

3rd: There are 4 bolts around the housing that hold it to the lens, make sure to take them off before opening the lights. (you don't have to take all the bolts out, but if you don't know what holds what, taking all might be an option) it will just take you longer to put them back together.

4th: Also when pulling all the wiring from the headlight there are two sockets inside that will need to be disconnected. One is on the HID BALLAST, and the other little one is located under where the HID bulb is. When pulling those wires out, they are going to be attached to a black plastic piece inside the headlight. I don't know what that piece is there for, but it's there lol. That piece is hard to put back in, if it's out of it's position. I don't think it's that important there, but if you're a perfect freak like me that everything needs to be in it's place, then when the headlight is open try to figure out how it goes back in. (It's much easier to figure it how it goes when the light is open up.)

5th: HID bulb. You have to twist the Xenon socket to the left, and then squeeze the metal ears to take the HID bulb out. Otherwise you might end up braking something. This might be simple for some and difficult to figure out for others. Putting together goes in reverse order >>> bulb goes in first, then metal ears around it, and then the Xenon socket.

6th: Also when baking your headlights in 255 degrees and then trying to pull them apart is NOT EASY. Have to be careful and watch all the tabs around the light that hold the housing to the lens. I had to bake one light for 6 min and then 3 more to pull them safely apart.
For those who are afraid to bake, 255 degrees is pretty safe and shouldn't melt anything, it should only soften up the sealer that hold the lens to the housing.

7th: Before painting the chrome, Id suggest you scuff it up pretty good with a RED scotch-brite. It will give something for the paint to hold on to, and will just hold the paint much better and longer. Also after scuffing make sure you clean it good with the Wax and Grease Remover. Then you're ready to spray.

8th: Using high temperature paint is recommended.

9th: After everything is painted and you're ready to put the lens back together the sealer will need to be heated up again so it can soften up. Also make sure your paint is dry or you can mess it up easy. I put the painted piece in the oven at 170 Degrees and for 10 min for faster drying results.

Well there you go, it's some of the things that you might need to know. But there are just soo many tips to list in detail it's just too much lol... that's why its hard to write a complete detailed review without missing anything.
It's easy to do this mod and hack it, but if you want a professional good looking light then you might consider most of these.

here's a pic with my crappy cell phone quality. I'll get my camera back soon and will take more.

Last edited by Shurik355; 10-03-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Very nice. The car is coming along quite nicely!

Old 10-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Very nice. The car is coming along quite nicely!
Thanks mike. There are some more fresh pics

Last edited by Shurik355; 10-03-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks pretty good. I was wondering if that would look nice on a blue slate and now I know what I want to do is possible ( black housing with lime green projector and new iron man).

Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Looks good! Are you planning to black out your trim?

Thanks for the shout out haha, your thread better not be sticked! I was here first.

Originally Posted by sunny G-35 NYC
That looks pretty good. I was wondering if that would look nice on a blue slate and now I know what I want to do is possible ( black housing with lime green projector and new iron man).
You can pretty much do any color combination. What color is your G?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Nice job! the gloss black goes well with Blueslate.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by apexi957
Looks good! Are you planning to black out your trim?

Thanks for the shout out haha, your thread better not be sticked! I was here first.

You can pretty much do any color combination. What color is your G?
lol there is no way it's gonna get stickied. There is a thread on DIY on this already somewhere, and + mine isn't detailed enough = no pics of step by step. Just some good tips to note, this and that you know.

I think the trim gives it a nice contrast, so i don't think Im going to black that out.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Shurik355
Thanks guys!

lol there is no way it's gonna get stickied. There is a thread on DIY on this already somewhere, and + mine isn't detailed enough = no pics of step by step. Just some good tips to note, this and that you know.

I think the trim gives it a nice contrast, so i don't think Im going to black that out.
If you remove the corner lights, the headlights look really clean. I wouldn't black it out because that would be too much. You could go clear corners if you wanted to, but that would be a nightmare to install.

Nice job doing this! Looks really good and you clearly have taste in cars because you have a Blue Slate G . Did you use a majority of my thread to do your headlights?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:17 PM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Looks good dude

Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Shurik355
Thanks mike. There are some more fresh pics
I'm surprised you haven't done it to the Max! I remember doing it on mine, removing the headlights on that was infinitely easier than on the G.

Someday, i'll probably do the same to the G, but i'm afraid of the stress cracks--just had both headlamps replaced under warranty because of it.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
looks good man! get ready for my thread! ;-D

Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by apexi957
If you remove the corner lights, the headlights look really clean. I wouldn't black it out because that would be too much. You could go clear corners if you wanted to, but that would be a nightmare to install.

Nice job doing this! Looks really good and you clearly have taste in cars because you have a Blue Slate G . Did you use a majority of my thread to do your headlights?
yeah I know if I would know about the clear corners I would definitely go for it!

...What I used from your thread is your tip of when you told me how you resealed the lights, it just wasn't clear enough for me, until I did that myself and it's pretty much common sense from there. But yeah your thread did motivate me to do mine though I collected info from many other threads about this but yours just convinced me.

Originally Posted by soundmike
I'm surprised you haven't done it to the Max! I remember doing it on mine, removing the headlights on that was infinitely easier than on the G.

Someday, i'll probably do the same to the G, but i'm afraid of the stress cracks--just had both headlamps replaced under warranty because of it.
Yeahhh mike I know. Well before when I had my Max I was kinda afraid to do it, and + I didn't mind too much how the lights looked with the Sunlit Sand color of mine.
BTW this mod is gonna look better on your silver G bro. If I had a color like yours that probably would have been my first mod lol, cause it just looks really good on white and silver. ... But yeah I understand about what you've went through not a long ago.

Originally Posted by djfarhan
looks good man! get ready for my thread! ;-D
hahahaha post it up, Im ready lol ... so I guess you've done yours as well? lol all Blue Slates blacking out their lights

Last edited by Shurik355; 10-04-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 PM
^ haha yeah man, and i got my tails done too!

Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by djfarhan
^ haha yeah man, and i got my tails done too!
I repainted my engine cover while i was at it lol

Old 10-04-2010, 07:11 PM
haha i saw :P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlights painted black. *pics and hits*