G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Peformance G35 & G35x?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sjbyrne
Ive got an 08 x and get 18 city and 25 hwy. Sounds like you need to see a dealer because you have some major issues if your only getting 10mpg.

Immaculate,
If your looking for fun, having a non x in MN isn't going to be fun. Get the X and have a blast all year round!!!
1st gen wit bunch of boltons and notune cause its an X

Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
my fx35 AWD gets 15-17mpg under normal driving city, and my 6MT RWD gets me a whopping 18-22mpg with normal/spirited mixed with 50-70% hwy....

The mpg is not a huge difference as is the performance between the AWD and RWD, rather the things to consider would be the "fun" aspect, modding market, advantages of awd and the few cosmetic differences. At the end its up to your personal preference really...
I get about 24-25 MPG combined city/highway in my 07 6MT Sedan; about 70% highway at 75-80

Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 AM
They plow everytime it snows but the roads get icy and then they salt the living daylights out of them so i'm going with AWD I thank everyone for the feedback. And can't wait to come back when I have the car. I plan on doing FI HFC's, Exhaust and Stillen Gen3 intake to give it a little more umpffff if you know what I mean. I don't know if I should make a new thread but with the X are the wheel sizes the same all around if I wanted to get a set of summer rims and tires then get winter tires for the stock rims?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Immaculate
They plow everytime it snows but the roads get icy and then they salt the living daylights out of them so i'm going with AWD I thank everyone for the feedback. And can't wait to come back when I have the car. I plan on doing FI HFC's, Exhaust and Stillen Gen3 intake to give it a little more umpffff if you know what I mean. I don't know if I should make a new thread but with the X are the wheel sizes the same all around if I wanted to get a set of summer rims and tires then get winter tires for the stock rims?
I have an X and my wheel/tire sizes are the same all the way around.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by iiiiiekoiiiii
if u dont spend 3-4 months under snow, Dont get X. THats coming from an X driver.
I live in NY, it snows what 3-5times a winter tops. SO rest of the time, Im beat on so many things like mods for the suspension or tranny.
Oh yea i get about 10mpg on a good day of driving VERY Slow.
Reg/spirited driving is about 7-8mpg =]
whats wrong with ur car?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I drive 50 miles each way to work and back.
Half of my commute is stop and go and the other half is highway.
I'm never in "D" mode and spend most of my time in manual mode.
I'm what I would consider a "spirited" driver and I don't have a light foot.

I average 19.x MPG but I can easily achieve 27-29 MPG on the highway.

Unless you do nothing but stop light driving in the dead middle of the city, you'll achieve much better fuel economy than what some are reporting here.
And the X is not much worse on fuel than an MT S. I believe there's a 1 MPG difference.

If I lived in MN, I'd own AWD.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:28 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 07 X and an 06 6MT coupe and I've got to say the X is very nearly as much fun to drive. Car and Driver (or one of those other BMW worshiping car mags) predicted that the X would not handle as well as the RWD model (because of extra weight up front) but posted the same skid pad numbers (in g's) for both. So unless you take it to a track, and really know what you're doing, you probably couldn't tell any difference at all.

Now, if all you want to do is drift or parking lot donuts then the X may not be for you.

As to the guy citing 7mpg. Well, there are three possibilities: 1) he can't do basic math, 2) his in-car mileage calculator is broken 3) his car is broken. I get 19-20 around town with sensible (my wife) driving.

I live in SC and we see snow maybe twice a year. I got an X because I have a long dirt (mud) driveway to my cabin and we do get lots of rain. In both areas it has done very well. On wet, slick pavement the X is just planted. Love that feeling.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:58 AM
I would not get an X unless it is 09+ with the seven speed transmission. 07-08 you can tell it is heavier and the gearing is already a little long in places with the rear wheel drive.

If you like the planted feel of all wheel drive that is nice.... G35s is still the way to go if you want to have fun..

Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't be wanting to do burn outs or donuts anyways (I did that to my last car and am paying the price). I wanted it to have a nice luxurious quick dd. Thats why I was wondering if the performance was nearly the same. And being in MN the G35x will be my best bet.

Last edited by Immaculate; 10-13-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The X will be your best bet and for a good part of the year it will give you better performance than any 2wd vehicle and the rest of the year it will be just as good.

Personally, I see no need for a seven speed automatic. Sounds like a marketing thing to me. I generally hate automatics but have to admit that the 5 speed in my X is impressive and works extremely well. (I think the manual mode is cheesy and sluggish but I never use it as it performs better in S mode anyway. I feel like manual shifting in the X is more like making a suggestion when to shift and the car shifts when it feels like it. It only gives you the impression that you are controlling shifts).

I do agree that the 6 speed manual is more fun to drive and if the X came in a true manual you'd have the best of both worlds. But it does not.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ive had my x for a few weeks now and would reccomend it to anyone, it does feel heavy but the awd is great, i cant wait to play with it in the snow.

as fas as the automatic transmission goes, its nice. it does "look" around a bit at odd throttle positions and it isnt the smartest tranny (the new cts i think has the smartest auto ive driven) but it is very good in the performance side of things, i just wish it was turning just a few less rpms on the highway

Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 PM
got my '08 G35XS aka AWD about 2 months ago, i live in MN and can't wait till the snow flies after reading this post..
Love the car, hate the black though, too many scratches and no clue how or where to get it addressed.

tip!, you should get a 3 month trial with XM radio, but you have to call XM to send a signal to your car when you get it. I missed out on 2 1/2 months of trial because i am stupid.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Up north, an X is a must...

In the summer, I sometimes regret not having a RWD just so i can get some staggered G37 coupe rims on it...but all the foolish thoughts dissappear on any sign of wet or white stuff on the ground.

Being up north, or even in the north east US, I think that the wet/white stuff is plentiful, and even in the cities where it is plowed often and soon after it falls, nothing beats the 'luxury' of driving your car daily and feeling confident.

Disclaimer: I rock winter tires......and don't anyone tell me that a RWD with winter tires suffices...I car pool with my Bro and his Mustang GT and my G on alternating weeks, and let me tell you this, a 300hp RWD car is no match for winter.....period.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We get a very small amount of snow here, and we have a 08 X.
(we do get much more snow in the mountains)
Had a great time in it last winter with the couple of snows we got!!!
Does better in the snow that any 4x4 SUV I've owned!

Also, one of the magazines ran an X against a NON-X in wet and dry slaloms.
The X won both!!

And, straight line, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I definitely don't regret getting my x. I even find myself looking forward to snow so I can take the car out in it. It's amazing how well it drives in the snow

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Peformance G35 & G35x?