G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Wind noise matierials

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind noise matierials

Brought the car into the dealer last week, they replaced the interior weather stripping. WTF wind noise is worse!!!!! The wind noise only appears at 60+ mph and gets REALLY loud as I increase speed I have a bit of a gap in the weatherstripping on the outside of the door on the top most corner of the window, but im not sure if that's the problem. I know the issue has been brought up before but how do we solve the problem? I read through all the threads and people say to use "foam" or double sided tape, can you be more specific please. I know if the issue is the rear quarter window we can use silicone, but what about if its the front windows? I dont see how we can silicone anything that moves. Is there a solution for this? I need someone to be very specific, I tried the tape method over my outside weatherstripping but I still heard the noise. PLEASE PLEASE help, I have a feeling the dealer wont honor another trip for the same problem. Thanks

Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well you need to find where the wind noise is coming from.... I'd suggest taping the whole window area again till u find it, then a solution can be presented

Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, I got my wind noise completely fixed by Infiniti dealer. They told me they added some noise absorption foam to my doors. Whoo hoo... no more wind noise even at 80mph. I think you should ask your dealer to do the same if the wind noise problem got worse after the first fix.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
My fix was a DIY. I bought camper tape at my local Autozone - one roll did all 4 doors. Installed around the entire inside door frame. Rubber on one side, peel off tape adhesive on the other.

See the pic. Made a 100% difference.

The black rubber looks almost factory. I played with it so the finished application is a bit neater than the pic.

-s-

Attached Thumbnails Wind noise matierials-cimg0045.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time to find the source. As it was suggested tape down sections of the door and maybe mirror too. Might be a little time consuming but works.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Camper tape seems like a good idea, thanks. As far as taping the entire window to diagnose, do i just tape the entire seam where the window meets the rubber? I tried using electric tape, doesnt seem to be sticky enough, maybe that is why it didnt work and i still heard the noise. Also, I really hear the noise coming from my left ear, has to be the driver side window cuz I can feel a bit of cold air along with the whistle/howl (winter in NY).

Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
ParkStr8 has a great idea and should definitely help if the air is seeping through the door seals however if the air is slipping through the window you might have to add some insulation tape within the window rubber trim.

But like someone already said you should first use some blue painters tape to tape the outside of the window to see if thats the issue, tape along the meet line of the window and rubber on top right corner and then half way down from there.

You pretty much want to cover the area where your rubber trim is split in the top right corner someone actually posted some pics of which are to cover might be able to search for it.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Try doing the rear quarter panel window first, for the longest time i thought the issue was somewhere in the b-pillar, but i fixed the rear quarter anyway. Noise went away right after that.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Great, thanks guys! Once the temp falls below freezing ill try to diagnose the problem, and schedule another trip to the dealership with all the recall bulletins handy. If they fail to remedy the problem AGAIN, im determined to fix the problem myself, and ill provide a write up of the steps taken and materials used.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
Originally Posted by ParkStr8
My fix was a DIY. I bought camper tape at my local Autozone - one roll did all 4 doors. Installed around the entire inside door frame. Rubber on one side, peel off tape adhesive on the other.

See the pic. Made a 100% difference.

The black rubber looks almost factory. I played with it so the finished application is a bit neater than the pic.

-s-
definitely gonna be doing this, thanks man!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Ok so I did some diagnosing last weekend, used blue painters tape to seal around the windows. The air leak is coming from the corner of the drivers side window, right near my left ear. Im bringing in the car tomorrow to the dealership to replace a wood trim veneer that is peeling off the door, and ofcourse for them to look at the gap on the weatherstripping that is causing the wind noise. Ill let you guys know what happens.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM
As advertised, I am giving an update of the wind noise issue in my 07 G35x. I brought my car into the dealership to replace the wood veneer on the door (which was done exceptionally well) and to address the wind noise for the 2nd time. The first time, they replaced the inside weatherstripping on the driver side door, made the problem worse. This time, they used some kind of black sealer paste, which they just squeezed into the gap on the outside weatherstripping of the car (where the window and door meet). I didnt bring the car in myself this time, and when i saw the car, i was shocked. It literally looked like a 2 year old did the job, the paste was smeared on the window and door, and the paste seemed to absorb and the gap was a bunch of small holes now instead of 1 tiny hole. I drove it anyway to test the wind noise, to my surprise it was gone, but i had to bring it back for them to clean up this mess. my 3rd trip to the dealership, the service manager took a look at the problem area and apologized for the terrible job, this time they replaced the entire outside weatherstripping where the problem stemmed from. I'll post again about the wind noise once all the ice clears off my car (terrible storms in NY), since some of the ice pieces create wind noise of their own. Overall, the job was well done, and what i can hear so far, the wind noise is gone. Im very unhappy about Infiniti's service, and it seems as if they dont care when its a warranty issue, since the service is free. It only took 3 visits for them to do something correctly, oh well.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Wind noise is gone up to 85 MPH, I love life right now!