G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35x service issues..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most dealers charge 90-110 per hour

Last edited by schwartzki; 01-19-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidx1994
I check the gas mileage via the display in the instrument cluster. Sometimes the main car display as well. I like the car overall so I can probably get over the low gas mileage. It's not that bad and I'm sure it will improve as time goes on and I adjust to the car and the car adjusts to me.
I guess the money I saved from not having to perform anymore outrageous Mercedes scheduled services has to go somewhere!
The price you pay to have a car you will enjoy everyday for as long as you own it!

I did not receive any certification papers nor a receipt for it, so I assume that one wasn't done although when I called today, they do say it passed the certification. They said they will give me the papers, but I told them that clearly a blind person must have performed the inspection.

The in car display can be very inaccurate. Next time you fill up reset the odometer and then when you fill up divide the miles to how many gallons you got. so for example 300miles/14gal = 21.4 mpg

Passing certification is crap, since you did not receive certification papers it was not certified nor did it pass it. Unless the dealer is weird. Check your cars maintenance history, it will say certification check, or something like that.

Did the smell go away?

Good you called Infiniti of NA, hope it helps.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by schwartzki
Most dealers charge 90-110 per hour
lol its 120-140 here

Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anytime you have an issue with the dealer, I find it useful to ask them how to get in touch with Infiniti NA so that you can complete a survey on your service experience. Amazing how quickly that gets their attention!

As for mpgs, alot of it has to do with driving technique. My wife and I both have G35's and drive similar routes to work. She gets 17, I get 22. Doesn't matter which car we are driving!

The difference is she tends to drive more aggressively and speeds up to red lights and then slams on the brakes. I tend to keep the revs lower while accelerating and if I see a light turning red I coast a bit to try to time it hitting green again. I also use cruise control whereas she constantly varies the gas pedal on the highway.

Yes, I still have the occasional thrashing of my G, but as an airline pilot, I am trained to be fuel thrifty...and it makes a noticeable difference! Good luck!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
16mpg seems pretty good to me.
I live in the city, and I'm getting anywhere between 12-14mpg indicated on the cluster. 100% stop-go traffic and lots of short trips.

When I'm out of the city and driving a mix of highway and surface streets, it's more like 16-18mpg. If it's all highway I can hit 22-24mpg.

Also, if a mechanic wanted to charge me $1000 to remove a birds nest from the engine bay, I'd be finding a new mechanic.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Thank you so much!

The filter was not changed at all, they wanted me to pay for one. I took it to another Infiniti dealer; hopefully they change it, otherwise I could just buy a filter on Amazon or eBay.

It looks like I will have to call Infiniti North America as they did not fix anything and said they wouldn't. A 10 year old could have troubleshooted as well as they did.

The thing with the low gas mileage is that I've seen people mention online that they get decent gas mileage with the 2007-2008 G35x, from 18 mpg and above, but I have never hit 20 mpg, even extended trips on the highway.

The car was the lowest mileage I could find in the state and it was for such a good price as well. Maybe now I'm figuring out why it was a good price! Haha
Hey Bro, what the status?? are you still having the bad odor?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Recently purchased a 2008 G35x with about 14,000 miles. Currently has about 16,000 miles.
Today I went to get the car serviced at a local Infiniti dealer.

Issues I came to the dealer with were:
Low mpg (averaging 16 mph or less)
Bluetooth microphone problems - people complain that they can't hear me or that they can't hear some words.
Foul smell when the heat/ climate control is on.

They told me that the mpg is normal for the car, they refused to do anything about it. I came from a 2006 Mercedes E350 4matic which averaged about 20 mpg and it also was all wheel drive. Not sure what the problem is, but they said there is nothing to check.

For the bluetooth problem, they simply unpaired the phone and then paired it again. Didn't really help, but they said there isn't anything else they could do.

Now here's the best part, the foul smell. They called me in to the service area and showed me that the car has leaves/ debris, possible nest stuck under the engine where the air comes in. How it got there, no one can explain it but they want $1,000 to clean the debris out. Have they gone insane? The car only has 16,000 miles and it's an '08!

I don't know what to do at this point, I'm probably not going back to the same dealer. Rude and unhelpful.
If you live in Connecticut, don't go to Harte Infiniti in Hartford!
Congrats on your purchase. I just bought my G35 (2007 sedan journey) as well, I almost got the G35x 2007 with 24K on it. But the X keep me away from it. I have a friend, he as a M35x and complains about the MPG all the time. Your Warranty should cover the bluetooth????

Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
I did get the odor issue fixed, they cleaned it out free of charge and changed the filter, so no more odor issue! However, they did quote the $1,000 because they would "have to lift the engine out to clean the debris out".
I think the second dealership just cleaned it out without "lifting the engine".

They told me that there was nothing else to fix for bluetooth, though it is under warranty "there wasn't anything wrong with it". I might mention it to the other dealership since they actually look into and take care of problems.

The mpg doesn't really bother me THAT much, I make sure the screen is not showing how much mpg the car is getting so I don't get annoyed! Hahaha I will get over it soon! I chose the x because AWD helps through all the snow we get in Connecticut!

I was considering purchasing the M35x, but decided on the G because The M has the old body style if it's pre-2010. Not much changed in the G so I decided to buy it! I also think that the interior of the M looks weird!

Infiniti NA is supposed to call back tomorrow, I called two days ago and I guess they are resolving the issue! They are probably dealing with the same stubborn people I had to deal with! But all in all, the important problems are fixed. The only thing I need them to do is force the dealer to fix some paint issues with the car!

I like the car a lot, other than these few issues I will look over if I get them fixed in my favor!

I was thinking of purchasing a spoiler (http://www.spoilersource.com/servlet/Detail?no=79) but there is no way in hell I will install it myself! Drilling holes in the car makes me cringe! Hahaha does anyone have an estimate of how much an Infniti dealer would charge to install it?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
@davidx1994 I think it would be ideal if there was an on/off button for AWD for cars. Like you was looking at the M too. I just traded my 2005 Maxima and M body reminded me of that 05 Maxima, a big fat car. My opinion the G > M. The spoiler looks sweet! Any body shop should be able to install it for you. Post pics, i will soon

Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 PM
https://g35driver.com/forums/garage/...avidx1994.html
Pictures of the car a few days before I bought it.

The interior is black and I also have black WeatherTech digitalfit floor mats.

The car has all packages other than the sport package. Maybe I can find an S and glue it on the back! Lol

I will take pictures later, camera is dead.

The funny thing is that I was looking at purchasing a new 2010 Maxima over the summer. I didn't want it since AWD isn't available and when I looked at the G, it made the Maxima look ugly. The back of the newer Maxima looks ugly in my opinion. Front looks fierce!

I'll look into buying and getting the spoiler installed, it looks amazing!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Check out this website for 'real world' fuel economy. I use it (as you can see in my sig).
You will find that G35's are getting 15 to 21mpg, depending on the type of driving. Most get around 18mpg.
X or not, it doesn't make as much of a difference as the drivers right foot and the type of roads driven.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Check out this website for 'real world' fuel economy. I use it (as you can see in my sig).
You will find that G35's are getting 15 to 21mpg, depending on the type of driving. Most get around 18mpg.
X or not, it doesn't make as much of a difference as the drivers right foot and the type of roads driven.
15-18 may be the average, but I've seen much worse.

Last night, thinking of this thread, I hit the reset on the MPG dashboard calculator and let it run during my commute home (about 3 miles through the city) and it was at 11.6 when I got home, average speed 15.1 mph.

This morning, I let the car run for about 5 minutes while it warmed up (it was 4 below in Chicago this morning) and then drove into the office... it was down to 9.8 mpg with an average speed of around 13mph.

This was normal city driving for about 30-35 minutes total with lots of stop-and-go and a pretty gentle right foot. Dry roads, but really cold weather.

Most of my tanks average around 12-13 mpg and most of my driving is short trips in the city. I'm not complaining about the mileage really because the car is fantastic otherwise, but whoever says the G35x gets 15-18mpg in the city isn't really driving in a city. Those would be best-case scenario numbers for me (little or no traffic, warm summer day with no AC use, etc).

Old 01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

Last night, thinking of this thread, I hit the reset on the MPG dashboard calculator and let it run during my commute home (about 3 miles through the city) and it was at 11.6 when I got home, average speed 15.1 mph.

This morning, I let the car run for about 5 minutes while it warmed up (it was 4 below in Chicago this morning) and then drove into the office... it was down to 9.8 mpg with an average speed of around 13mph.

This was normal city driving for about 30-35 minutes total with lots of stop-and-go and a pretty gentle right foot. Dry roads, but really cold weather.

Most of my tanks average around 12-13 mpg and most of my driving is short trips in the city. I'm not complaining about the mileage really because the car is fantastic otherwise, but whoever says the G35x gets 15-18mpg in the city isn't really driving in a city. Those would be best-case scenario numbers for me (little or no traffic, warm summer day with no AC use, etc).
With an avg speed of 13mph and such a short trip I'm not all that surprised with your sub 12mpg.
My City driving isn't as stop-n-go as yours and its about 10miles. I avg 20mph and 18mpg.
Hwy, I easily get over 22mpg at 70mph
Mine

Old 01-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by msu2001la

Whoa i reset mines last night while driving on 40, when from 34mpg on Highway at 60mph and in the city 20.9mpg avg 24.5mph