G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Manual Transmission Problem - Feedback Much Appreciated!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Manual Transmission Problem - Feedback Much Appreciated!

So I've had a problem with my trans that's been eating away at me (and 2nd gear) for the last month or so- let me start from the beginning.

I bought the car last May with 37k miles, it now has 46k. 2007 Sport sedan 6mt. Starting a couple months ago, I was grinding my 1st to 2nd shift once in a while. It got more frequent, and I noticed that if I hesitated for a few moments with the shifter in neutral (no double clutching) between 1 and 2, the grinding won't happen or will be minimal. But if I try to shift at a normal pace or quickly, it'll grind. At first I thought maybe its the dual mass flywheel, but my '07 Altima 3.5se 6mt had a dual mass flywheel and never had this problem.

It's been really cold out lately (less than 20 degrees) and while the car is still warming up, it's actually difficult to get the darn thing in second gear at all.

With all that said, is it the synchro? Has anyone else experienced this? All other G35 threads about the manual trans grinding I found talked about 5th or 6th gear being bad, but my transmission works perfectly in all gears except the 1st to 2nd shift.

Any advice on what's wrong if anything and what actions I should take to prepare for another dealer experience will be much much appreciated!

Thanks
Guitarguy

Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
First off, its not normal, i shift to 2nd quickly most of the time without any grinding or hesitation, however slight hesitation in shifting(but no grinding) in extreme temps is normal when the car is cold.

If you are having problems shifting into 2nd while all other gears work fine, then it is most probably ur 2nd gear synchro's, considering ur model year and mileage, u are still under warranty so i suggest you take in your car asap and have it fixed before it gets worse.

If it is the synchro then will end up putting in a new tranny as that is more cost efficient and easier for them

Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Guitarguy, I'd take it into Infiniti and see what your status is with the warranty. Have the trans replaced, there's no other way to fix that syncro issue....Good Luck!! Don't let the "Stealership" tell you a clutch is needed!
Gary

Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guitarguy,
What you described is what my car, also an '07 6MT seems to be doing. It has been that way for me since I got it in November '10 w/ 24K miles..currently at 28k. It's almost exactly as you described...1-2 grinds sometimes, maybe 1/3 of shifts and of varying severity. Shifting faster usually results in a higher probability of grinding. Also noticed the cold weather issue; the d@mn thing just refuses to go into 2nd with the near zero temps I've had in NM lately. Out of the 4 or so days my car had to sit outside in the zero deg temps, 2 days it refused to go into 2nd till it had been driven AWHILE, one day slight grind and one day no issues . Got about 3 months left on warranty but my closest dealer is 230 miles away and not sure what to about it yet, but definatley a concern, especially with warranty expiring soon.

Let me know if you find anything out and I'll do the same.

Jesse

Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
You two need to hit the dealer ASAP. I've not had any of the trouble you describe with my 07 6MT. Even if your warranty is just barely out, you may get some sympathy by calling Infiniti corporate.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 PM
^whs, why wait for someone else to get it checked out when you are on the brink of your warranty expiration, however considering you have the 07 you have 6yr/70k on the powertrain so u should be good for a while. but dont delay.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm armed and ready to deal with the dealership (at least I think I am).

Jesse, and anyone else interested: I set up an appointment at my dealer for Tuesday 2/15 and requested that a mechanic and I drive the car together. They'll charge me a $115 diagnosis but waive it if I can convince them to replace the trans. Then it's a $50 deductible on the warranty.

I'll be sure to post after Tuesday to share my experience!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn.. I just bought my 07 g35 sedan 6mt my warrenty runs out in july... should I be worried?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well my bumper to bumper runs out in july

Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Guitarguy
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'm armed and ready to deal with the dealership (at least I think I am).

Jesse, and anyone else interested: I set up an appointment at my dealer for Tuesday 2/15 and requested that a mechanic and I drive the car together. They'll charge me a $115 diagnosis but waive it if I can convince them to replace the trans. Then it's a $50 deductible on the warranty.

I'll be sure to post after Tuesday to share my experience!
What deductible? if it is the trans(that it should be) and u are under 70k then u are covered without ANY sort of deductible.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
What deductible? if it is the trans(that it should be) and u are under 70k then u are covered without ANY sort of deductible.
Really? I'll have to review my warranty paperwork, thanks for the heads up. If anyone knows any general tips/tricks about working with dealer service departments, feel free to share by all means!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM
There are some dealerships which will charge you a preliminary "diagnoses" fee once you're out of your bumper-to-bumper warranty, however if they deem that the issue is to do with something that is covered under infiniti's warranty, they MUST refund you that amount since infiniti corporate takes over the entire bill.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guitarguy,
Thanks for the reply and please let me know what you find out.

Others,
I would take my car to the dealer to get looked at, but being that it is 230+ miles away and I pretty much need the car on a daily basis, it makes taking it or having Infiniti come get it to confirm issues and or do service pretty hard. I took the car to the dealer for several things to include the trim scratching/chipping issue and they couldn't get the replacement done and I would have to come back in a week or two...so I just gave up and painted my interior trim to avoid the hassel and wasted miles/time.
I plan on another dealer trip here soon to address issues before bumper-to-bumper runs out and would address it then.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM
So the latest twist in the plot is that yesterday (this morning was my scheduled service apptmt) was around 40 degrees outside....and no grinding problem even when i tried! Ugghh. Then I drank 9 beers last night and got up too late to try to make it to the appointment before work and figured that the problem wouldn't occur due to the warmer weather. Well it was 19 degrees out this morning and I did get the symptoms until the car warmed up.

So I think it was the super cold weather that was making the transmission act up. Now my dilemma is should I try and take it to the dealer on a cold day and have them fix it or should I fix up my '94 Q45 for cold weather driving and live with it?

<sigh> I'll post again next time something notable happens.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe you just need your Tranny oil replaced. It should've been changed at 30K. I'm at 38K and didn't realize tranny oil need to be changed so i have an appt for Friday and $140 later . I too bought my car with 30,900K and of course the dealer didn't do the 30K svc. I did it one item at a time but missed the tranny oil/fluid

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Problem - Feedback Much Appreciated!