G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Wheel noise at speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel noise at speed

All,

I know it is tough to guage these questions, but just looking for suggestions.

When my G35 hits about 35-40 i hear a...almost whooping noise (think of a wha wha wha) almost like a rumble strip. As i slow down below 35-40 this noice becomes more pronounced until the car gets do to about 5 then stops, then won't start up again until 35-40.

At first I thought maybe a bearing or something was going, then though tmaybe a weight fell off the wheel, as it looks like they just stick on.

I don't really feel any of this through the steering column, mainly just something i hear.

Thanks for any help, just looking for suggestions before i take her into the shop.

Thanks all!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you're talking about. My car does the same thing...

Old 06-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the tires to me. I had that noise issue with certain brands (michelin, yokohama) after hitting the upper reaches of treadwear. Could also be the bearings.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
+1 to bearings, changed both fronts at 30K, with the brake judder TSB applied - installed splash guards, they protect bearings on the dusty roads. So far 58K - no problems!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I had/have a very similar issue.

This past winter, I started to hear something very similar and after some time, it got worse and I started feeling it in the steering wheel as well. I brought it to my guy and he went through the car and found nothing out of the ordinary, nothing wearing, no signs of a problem. He suggested I change the tires.
I swapped my winter setup over to my OEM wheels/tires and the problem was immediately reduced, but there was still "something" wrong... I can hear it and it gets a bit more noticable as I speed up.
I recently swapped over to my summer setup with brand new Falkens and the sound is still there. We're starting to think that it's a bearing and that'll be my next steps in fixing the issue.
The winter tires apparently have a bad belt or something and who knows what issues that shaking caused while driving 100 miles a day. I'll try new bearings and see where that gets me.

Funny enough, I have a co-worker with over 30 years of experience as a car mechanic in a previous life. I took him to lunch with me and I was uinable to reproduce the sound at any speed.
He weighs about 350 and his weight in the passenger seat may have something to do with it. I'd swear the sound comes from the driver's front wheel, so who knows.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Mine sounds like it's coming from the front drivers wheel also.

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like a set of bearings is about 200 bucks.

Are these easy to do on your own?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelCityG35xS
All,

I know it is tough to guage these questions, but just looking for suggestions.

When my G35 hits about 35-40 i hear a...almost whooping noise (think of a wha wha wha) almost like a rumble strip. As i slow down below 35-40 this noice becomes more pronounced until the car gets do to about 5 then stops, then won't start up again until 35-40.

At first I thought maybe a bearing or something was going, then though tmaybe a weight fell off the wheel, as it looks like they just stick on.

I don't really feel any of this through the steering column, mainly just something i hear.

Thanks for any help, just looking for suggestions before i take her into the shop.

Thanks all!

My car did the same thing..but when i bought new tires it went away..now i just have had the vibration for about 5 months. Can't wait to replace all the parts that are now wearing pre maturely

Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Just got the same sound in mine! I took it to my guy and got quoted $450 for the part and installation. How much is the part and is this something I could do myself?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mds5x8
Just got the same sound in mine! I took it to my guy and got quoted $450 for the part and installation. How much is the part and is this something I could do myself?
What part?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Parts look to be about 210 and that's for both sides. Haven't done anything on mine yet. In the past on other cars, when bearings were going I cloud feel heat building in the rim, even after a short drive. Not the case here. I'm thinking it may be tire related at this point...

Old 06-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
when youre BEARING down on finding a solution to your problem, please let us no what it was

Old 06-22-2011, 03:31 PM
OP- Based on your screen name, you have a 2008. You should still be under warranty unless you are over your miles. If it is the bearings, I would think this would be covered, as bearings are not considered a "wear and tear" item. Maybe I am missing something. I would take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ this is definitely a warranty item if youre still within 4yr/60k, the only questions i can see them(dealers) asking you is if youve been to the track and/or overloaded the vehicle more than its max weight limit. And i doubt you did either.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM
well i just had a mechanic buddy look at it first before i called the dealership so i knew what to expect. they were the ones that quoted the $450 for the wheel bearing and labor. I had talked to a service rep but a tech gave me that answer. when i called back to speak to rep, he confirmed it would be covered under the powertrain 70k warranty. Car goes in next week, thank god. I cant stand that freaking sound

Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I'm in for a wheel bearing as well. My car is absolutely fine with no signs of any issue until I have a few spritied sprints to 60, or take a hard right hand corner.
Once the car cools down, the noise is gone until next time.

Quick right hand corners (like exit ramps) bring the sound and left corners take it away, so the added weight and stress on the left side spawns it.

Driver's side front bearing is my self-diagnosis.... just gotta get it done now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel noise at speed