G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

1k review - 17" Michelin Primacy MXM4 V-rated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1k review - 17" Michelin Primacy MXM4 V-rated

'08 G35X. The OE were Goodyear Eagle RS-A's, which I found handled amazing but were rough over anything but smooth pavement, did not handle snow as well as I hoped being mine is AWD and at 30k tread indicators were obvious despite 7,500 mile rotations and a 15k balancing. Switched to the Michelins MXM4's which were actually cheaper through Tire Rack. Allowed them to break in for 500-miles and the past 500-miles tested them some. My comparison to the OE:

Handling - more than sufficient for me as I'm not driving like a racing enthusiast. There is a 40mph ramp I travel from work that at times I take at 70-75mph; the Goodyears stuck like absolute glue. Tried it the past two days in the Michelins and felt the slightest slip or skip the first time, not the second, but was never concerned about loss of control. As I expected, I think I gave up just a bit of handling capability but they are more than sufficient for me. It's also possible that the smoother ride makes the tires feel a little less sticky, I'm not a skilled enough driver to know;

Comfort - a huge increase in comfort. Over rougher roads the improved ride quality is remarkable. It feels like a completely different car. No more jolts over every small imperfection. This is the main reason I changed other than expected increased tire life and the new tires have exceeded my expectations in ride comfort. This was my biggest issue with the car and the difference is remarkable and obvious.

Braking - I can't tell the difference. The Michelins are supposed to stop quicker in wet weather - I did drive them in the rain and they stopped fine, but I don't recall any issues in the rain with the Goodyears.

Snow and tread life - obviously have not had them in snow but I am expecting better snow traction. I'm also hoping/anticipating doubling the 30k I got out of the Goodyears.

Overall - highly recommend these tires for anyone who thinks the RS-A's ride rough, don't handle snow well, and/or want more than 30k out of an expensive set of tires. Probably not for those who are getting performance modifications or really seek ultimate performance and are willing to trade off ride comfort, tread life and inclement weather traction.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Weird I thoughts second Gen stock size was 18"?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sport rims are 18", the stock rims are 17" though.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got the same tires and have about 2k on them.... they are more of a comfort tire than performance. They do handle better in the rain, but taking high speed corners is not their specialty.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
thanks for the review,,, i am at 28,000 miles on my stock rs-a's and they are pretty well spent,,, will give these michelin's a good look......