G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

OK, question about the 6MT.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Bob, it is true that the MOTOR could care less, but the tranny shafts still have to synch and they rely on the synchros to do that. There's only one synchro for 5th and 6th gears, so IN TIME, it bears to reason that repeating the short shift practice will accelerate the wear placed upon them; certainly more than would otherwise be exerted upon them by fully rowing the boat.
If the revs are matched reasonably and the torque is there it won't make a difference. Period.

I'll agree if done improperly it could impact the tranny, but if you know what you're doing over the life of the car it won't mean squat.

Been short shifting for 35+ years in a variety of makes and models without incident. I guess I'm special.

The following users liked this post:
Wannabe6MT (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Guitarguy
Man I feel worse now, I've had multiple trips to the dealer about my 1-2 grinding and didn't achieve more than a "we'll note it in the records".

Even after dropping off the car in cold weather so it can be driven the next morning I was told "the drivetrain is 95% good" and they could do nothing about it. I'm convinced these manual trannys are problematic and for now I've been dealing with it, which is not so bad but if I bought a TL-SH or 335 I'd probably look back and shake my head. The prices we pay to drive such a sexy ride. Excessive NVH + inconsistent gear shifts = temperamental beast that works well but just doesn't compete with the best.
I was hoping that with a manual transmission I would be avoiding more potential problems and instead I get to worry about bad synchros after my power train warranty expires and $1200 to replace the clutch when it goes...these are the kinds of things I was trying to avoid by not buying another BMW...

Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob.On.Whidbey
If the revs are matched reasonably and the torque is there it won't make a difference. Period.

I'll agree if done improperly it could impact the tranny, but if you know what you're doing over the life of the car it won't mean squat.

Been short shifting for 35+ years in a variety of makes and models without incident. I guess I'm special.
Oh come on Bob, you're not special, I'm right there with your numbers; this ain't my first rodeo by a long shot.

In fact, prior to this manual, I would have agreed with you too. If this were a t56, I would have laughed at the notion. I just don't know what else to make of these trannys having so many 5th and 6th synchro problems though. All I can figure is that there's a weak link there as so many have this same problem.

I am the ONLY person that drove my first transmission in this car, so I know for a fact it wasn't mistreated. The ONLY factor I can think of is routine short shifting. My whole point here is that there is something about these trannys in particular and reducing or eliminating any practice that creates undue wear on their weak link has got to be a good thing.

Maybe there were just a whole bunch of faulty trannys initially released by Infiniti, and maybe you didn't happen to get one of them, but I would venture a guess that if, like me, your 5th - 6th synchro went like mine did, you'd be singing a different tune. I guess time will tell for me, as I am on the second tranny and I'm no longer short shifting, so we'll see if it make a bit of difference for me or not. It only took 49K miles on the first one to become a solid problem, and I've got a 7/100 extended warranty, so I'll have similar coverage for this second tranny as well. We'll see.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Guitarguy

... if I bought a TL-SH or 335 I'd probably look back and shake my head. ...
Consider:

Rule#1) The TL is front wheel drive.
Rule #2) A similarly equipped 335 cost about 8k more.
Rule #3) I don't care if it shifts like butter if rule #1 applies.
Rule #4) I can definitely put up with a bit less refinement if rule #2 applies.

At the end of the day, this has still been a pretty fantastic car by my estimation.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I was told by the dealer that Infiniti knows of the synchro issues and that apparently the transmissions that they replace them with are an updated one...

Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
I was told by the dealer that Infiniti knows of the synchro issues and that apparently the transmissions that they replace them with are an updated one...
I truly hope that is the case Janik, but when I asked my dealer to check into this (and I pushed the issue a LOT), they said there was no revision difference between the tranny my car came with in 2007 and the ones they are currently replacing them with.

IIRC, there was a rev change back in the earlier (1st gen) models where they added more synchros in the lower gears, but I haven't heard of any updated rev modifications on 2nd gen 6MT trannys. I hope I'm wrong though; do you have any info other than your dealer's comments I can reference on this? I'd like to believe it too.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
They better fix these trasmissions before i get mine! haha.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Consider:

Rule#1) The TL is front wheel drive.
Rule #2) A similarly equipped 335 cost about 8k more.
Rule #3) I don't care if it shifts like butter if rule #1 applies.
Rule #4) I can definitely put up with a bit less refinement if rule #2 applies.

At the end of the day, this has still been a pretty fantastic car by my estimation.
Exactly the reasons I bought mine. Coming from Hondas, the clutch and is definitely easier and smoother on them - however the shifting itself seems about the same, actually a tiny bit more notchy on the accords and preludes.

I still need to do the clutch lever spring DYI on mine - I still stall out occasionally, usually in reverse going uphill.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pricojorge
my 5th gear grinds when the car is usually cold and when i shift from 4th to 5th semi quick
i've been trying to avoid it by just taking my sweet *** time from 4th to 5th when its cold
but i still forget from time to time
after the car is warmed up and i've shifted thru all gears i dont have a problem with 5th
I had the same problem in 5th gear when the engine was cold in the morning. hasn't happened in a while now so it somehow went away.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Well im still on my original almost 5 year old tranny which has seen all sorts of driving and shifting and have had 0 problems do date(knock on wood), and the shifting on this car is really really good!

Maybe there was a certain bad batch that got out and caused the few problems iv seen on this forum which seems to happen with almost all makers on a small batch of cars, other than that there is also some sure errors at times that causes problems.