G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 G35 Sedan Wheel Bearing Issue...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by harp00n
How long can I travel with this front bearing noise? It started about 500 miles ago, now it is rather noisy, though not to much. I need to travel back to home another 500 miles and I'm a little bit afraid if the bearing could stuck or something else bad could happen? Maybe I shouldn't drive faster than 60-80mph at the way home, should I?
That's the funny thing about wheel bearings. It depends on how bad the wheel bearing is.

It can range from a hundred miles to tens of thousands of miles. As long as you don't feel any big vibration in the wheel, you should be okay. Usually, when the wheel bearing is really bad, you'll hear really loud humming noises and clicks.

You should be good if it's only 500 miles. I've driven on a bad wheel bearing for a couple thousand miles and it's been okay, until I brought it to the dealer to have them check it out because the driving wasn't as smooth as before. The dealer said that the wheel bearing was a little worn, and there was no safety issue and could be driven for another long while. They quoted me $420 to fix it, but later said it was free due to powertrain warranty.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
if you have any mechanical ability you should be able to do this yourself, you'll just need a set of metric wrenches and take your time and save yourself hundreds of dollars. I've done both bearin on my 01 max myself plus hubs plus i've done the wheel bearing,hub assembly on my sisters 06 murano which was simple as hell since it was one piece basically popped old one out and put the hole assembly back in. From doing wheel bearing i say you should replace the hub also since it can get damaged or bent by the bearing spinning untrue most places recommend it also.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
oh another thing are you sure its the bearing and not your tires, lift up the car and remove the rim and spin the hub assembly by hand and see if it really the bearing it could be just tires worn out uneven or old

Old 09-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Ketchup83se01
if you have any mechanical ability you should be able to do this yourself, you'll just need a set of metric wrenches and take your time and save yourself hundreds of dollars. I've done both bearin on my 01 max myself plus hubs plus i've done the wheel bearing,hub assembly on my sisters 06 murano which was simple as hell since it was one piece basically popped old one out and put the hole assembly back in. From doing wheel bearing i say you should replace the hub also since it can get damaged or bent by the bearing spinning untrue most places recommend it also.
The 2007 Infiniti G35x sedans have the whole hub wheel bearing assembly. You have to replace everything because the part comes with the whole assembly.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
That's the funny thing about wheel bearings. It depends on how bad the wheel bearing is.

It can range from a hundred miles to tens of thousands of miles.As long as you don't feel any big vibration in the wheel, you should be okay. Usually, when the wheel bearing is really bad, you'll hear really loud humming noises and clicks.

You should be good if it's only 500 miles. I've driven on a bad wheel bearing for a couple thousand miles and it's been okay, until I brought it to the dealer to have them check it out because the driving wasn't as smooth as before. The dealer said that the wheel bearing was a little worn, and there was no safety issue and could be driven for another long while. They quoted me $420 to fix it, but later said it was free due to powertrain warranty.
Agreed.

If you are seriously concerned about it, you could stop periodically and feel the hub for excess heat buildup too, but you should be alright. As a precaution, try and keep the speed reasonable and don't carry more weight than you need to.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks guys, really! I feel worried, as I travel with my family.

It's definitely the wheel bearing (not the first one I change), and I start to hear it at 30mph and it becomes a little louder at 60-80mph. I check the front discs temperature every 100-150 miles and they seem to be even.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
completed the trip through the whole country from South (Crimean) back to North (Kharkov) of Ukraine

finally at home after beautiful two week holidays on wonderful spirited sea-by-roads in Crimea, though very dangerous so twitchy they are

the noise didn't get any worse during the travel, but I'll change the bearing on this week!