G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Strut replacement (question)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
very weird.. I'd definitely replace the other front strut anyways. I would also get under there any make sure everything is torqued down properly. I had a weird clunking noise going over bumps and turns out my endlinks for the sway bar were not on tight enough after I upgraded the front sway bar.

The following users liked this post:
G3065 (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf
very weird.. I'd definitely replace the other front strut anyways. I would also get under there any make sure everything is torqued down properly. I had a weird clunking noise going over bumps and turns out my endlinks for the sway bar were not on tight enough after I upgraded the front sway bar.
very weird to the point of irritation... For a car to be performing like this there definitely has to be something that is visually obvious (defective). I've had good experiences with Sewell Infiniti up to now and we'll see what they say tomorrow

Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by G3065
(the coils) can be a cause of the vibration... the car when pushed down it would softly move up and down like a cadillac. However the other side that is on the old strut is stiff. .
Sounds more like the new strut is not damping--not a problem with the coil spring. When pressed down, the car should not oscillate up and down, up and down--should damp pretty easily and almost instantly. Was the strut that was replaced an OE strut? 64k mile struts are softer but they should work fairly well and the ride will be fine on a stock suspension. My cheap brother never changed his struts/shocks on his 1st gen g35 for 180k miles and surprising the ride was fine. I highly doubt having one old strut on one side and a new one on the other is problematic--although like I said, I would have changed all 4 to save future work.

G3065 (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
Sounds more like the new strut is not damping--not a problem with the coil spring. When pressed down, the car should not oscillate up and down, up and down--should damp pretty easily and almost instantly. Was the strut that was replaced an OE strut? 64k mile struts are softer but they should work fairly well and the ride will be fine on a stock suspension. My cheap brother never changed his struts/shocks on his 1st gen g35 for 180k miles and surprising the ride was fine. I highly doubt having one old strut on one side and a new one on the other is problematic--although like I said, I would have changed all 4 to save future work.
I see... yes sir the strut that I replaced was an oem strut from their parts dept. ... you and
rpm&my_g35 have mentioned this issue... I don't like to blame the service dep. at sewell at all but I am thinking they may have not tightened up something??? because I felt this after their alignment.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 PM
I honestly can't think of anything they would have touched to cause that during an alignment--especially in the front where you can only adjust for toe. If the side with the new strut can bounce up and down easily, that usually means the strut is defective/blown. Try bouncing the other 3 corners and I bet it won't act like that.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I honestly can't think of anything they would have touched to cause that during an alignment--especially in the front where you can only adjust for toe. If the side with the new strut can bounce up and down easily, that usually means the strut is defective/blown. Try bouncing the other 3 corners and I bet it won't act like that.
I'd like to think something else but it is a high possibility that the strut is defective or was installed incorrectly... in the mean time I'm going to go install the y-pipe now lol!...
will keep it updated my friends.
oh btw the right front was alot bouncier then the other side... it was a bid difference.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Update: so I took the car to the dealer today and addressed some of the things that I wanted done 1. oil change 2. cabin air filter 3. leaking radiator hose 4. The main issue of the steering wheel shaking on rough roads/bumps along with the noise. Was surprised to be greeted by a complete douche and then forwarded to a new advisor for whatever reason. The advisor contacted me an hour after I dropped off the car and said that the alignment could not have done anything to cause this issue (which I was not surprised) then he mentioned that the left rim most likely is bent. I took that into consideration and told him that when you push down on the car it bounces easier on one side then the other. Then he tells me that upon your last visit the right front strut was leaking and that is the issue, well I told him that it was replaced. At that point I was thinking to myself "the technicians should have noticed the new looking strut, but obviously they said everything looked ok. I told the advisor that I would not mind paying $80 for a diagnostic test to see what the issue is... so they are doing that at the moment but I have a feeling that nothing will be noticed/fixed. Seems like a guessing game so far unless if they go for a test drive and realize what I am saying. No matter how nice any dealer says that they are you still have to be a little rough with them and that's what I'm getting tired of is that they think I have an unlimited budget. I'm driving a loaner and regardless of the fact that this vehicle has 17's and is a brand new car, the ride feels buttery smooth and tight just like how my g was prior to alignment. sorry to confuse you guys!
to be continued...

Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Now I'm beginning to think they did not compress the new strut before installing it. Sometimes it needs to be done.
See the very end of video 1 and beginning of video 2

G3065 (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 02:53 PM
rpm&myG35: nice find. Never even heard about priming a new strut/shock but that sounds like the problem.

G3065 (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Update:
They did the diagnostic and saw that the left rim is bent and the right front strut (new) is leaking.... It was either not installed correctly or the mechanic did not take the right measures, or the part was faulty from the start. New strut + Alignment+ labor= $450. I'm going to go try and take the new strut out and take it to the other infiniti dealership that I bought it from and see what they say... worth a try. Regardless of that I know they will reject the attempt to return and I will have to buy a new strut. They did however check out the other struts and they turned to be good so far. I did see part 2 of the videos posted a week prior and am questioning whether if they did this or not for the dampening. The $450 fix will warranty the strut for 1 year if installed with sewell infiniti. As for the rim they estimated $250 for the fix but I passed on that because I can get that fixed for a lot less. You guys were right about the dampening of the new strut. Other then that everything checked out and was A ok.
I have one question: If I do end up not getting a replacement strut from Infiniti would you guys think there is a strut that is comparable in quality but for less? does anyone have the tokico hp struts installed on theirs? (no offense redpearl99)
I appreciate you guys helping me on this situation!
I just hate it when she's not healthy lol (I know that's sad)

Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 PM
I would be shocked if Inifiniti would not exchange a defective strut unless their were signs on it that it wasn't installed properly. I think this is one of those cases were it probably would have been better to have the dealer install the strut or if an independent did it, have them sources the part. Given that your other struts/shocks are old, I wouldn't care if they were aftermarket or not. I would not even bother with upgraded premium struts unless you were planning to do the other strut too.

In any case, man what a headache for you! That is just bad luck you get a bad strut but it happens!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I would be shocked if Inifiniti would not exchange a defective strut unless their were signs on it that it wasn't installed properly. I think this is one of those cases were it probably would have been better to have the dealer install the strut or if an independent did it, have them sources the part. Given that your other struts/shocks are old, I wouldn't care if they were aftermarket or not. I would not even bother with upgraded premium struts unless you were planning to do the other strut too.

In any case, man what a headache for you! That is just bad luck you get a bad strut but it happens!
big time headache that can't be fixed with an advil (sigh) lol... I agree with you. I'm going to give it a try but knowing that particular dealership from prior conversations I've had with them I doubt they would do anything. I'm at a point where I can pay $230 for a new oem strut, or $450 installed with alignment to the dealer with no curious thoughts in my mind if it will mess up (and even if I run into any issues I will take it up with them), or buy 4 new struts and replace all of them for a little more then what the oem strut costs, but be a little worried about if they get installed correctly again lol. This type of stuff always happens in the worst times too (busy with academics).

Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Update: got a new strut and gave it to Infiniti to install it... will be get an update by tomorrow to see if there are any other issues... from what they told me at the dealership is that the strut was not defected instead... they explained that when pliers are put on the top part of the compression section that moves up and down, the pliers scratched up the surface and caused the situation to occur. I tried moving it up and down myself but I noticed what they were talking about. I'm assuming that the strut would not respond due to the corrosion... will update on this.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
hold on they used pliers on the middle of the damper shaft rather than on the top?

Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by redpearl99
hold on they used pliers on the middle of the damper shaft rather than on the top?
What shop did that? That is gross ineptitude! I would hold them liable for the replacement cost!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Strut replacement (question)