G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Playing Music Off An Android Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SubtleG35
BTW...that RCA plug cable wont allow video right?
Nope, but since you were referencing your Android phone, most don't support video output anyway, but you should confirm. I believe there is one or two phones that will output video via the 3.5mmI to RCA, but I don't recall which ones those were. Search the forum, I'm sure I saw it here.

*edit* the Mytouch 4G does.

http://goo.gl/1STt8

Last edited by Racer_X; 12-14-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check it out (I'm a first time poster BTW [08 G35X]). I had many of the same questions you have now. That being said, I'd start by thinking about how aggressive you want to get with your install.

Since the G35 you have now only does composite video, the simplest solution is to ensure you're using a phone/tablet which supports composite out. If you have a phone/tablet which supports HDMI out, things get a little more complicated to do what you're asking since you'll need a converter to convert HDMI to composite and an inverter to power the converter. If you want to go down this road, there are some threads over at XDA which can help you.

When I started this I had a DroidX (OG) which supports HDMI out. I ended up buying an HTC Incredible (OG) on eBay for about $110.00 which uses a USB to composite out. This went in without a hitch. However, after a few weeks, I've found myself wanting to use a touchpad or bluetooth mouse when using my phone on the go and in order to be a little bit safer. Unfortunately, only very few Android devices up to now support Bluetooth HID (needed to use a mouse or keyboard) AND have a composite video out. I've since narrowed down my choices to the Samsung Captivate (the Verizon Galaxy version had this disabled) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab (original 7"). Pretty much all other Android phones/tablets I found which support bluetooth HID use HDMI.

So it appears you have some options. I really like the Samsung Captivate for what you're trying to do. I just tested a Microsoft 5000 Bluetooth mouse on a friends today and a mouse pointer showed right up. It's nicely integrated into the Android experience as well.

On a side note ... all Ice Cream Sandwich phones coming out (and those being upgraded) support Bluetooth HID out of the box. However, so far every phone has only supported HDMI. Eventually this may be something we all end up having to do (convert and power invert that is).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by SIGS; 12-15-2011 at 09:45 PM.