G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 g35x, solved gas smell in interior at idle problem

Old 02-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gerschman
Welp, I finally got under the hood to replace my fuel damper assembly last night and it turns out I got the wrong part. The stiff hose is too long and the connector at the end has a 90 degree elbow on it whereas the one on there now is a straight connector. Also, Frankenstein, I didn't see the things you mentioned (which, btw, I very much appreciated!). I wonder if we're talking about the same damper. Mine is on the front, passenger side and runs down from the "hat"-looking part at about a 45 degree angle. I couldn't quite get my hand down in there to release the clip, which was not green nor cylindrical, nor 2" long.
Also, my G is a 2007 assembled in August of 2007.
Thanks!
What part number did you order?

edit: also, how can you tell if it is the fuel damper itself and not just the O-Ring? Part number 1661810V10, Reference number 16618P from the Sewell part diagram. I wouldn't want to spend $70 to fix a $1 problem.

Also, according to orderinfinitiparts.com P/N 22675JK20A is an old P/N and has been superceded by 22675JK20B.

Last edited by Fred_in_CT; 02-20-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did, indeed, order 22675JK20B.
One strange thing I noticed is that after I took off the damper, played around with the O-ring, and reassembled it, the gas smell is gone! My guess is that I do just have to replace the O-ring. I think with the ridiculously cold winter we had that the darn thing just shrank out of spec but after messing with it the other day and now that temps have moderated a bit, it may be ok now. But, it probably won't hurt to replace it anyway!

Old 01-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Frankenstein
I was able to do the swap without getting under the car at all. Here are a few things I learned along the way.

1. I took out the passenger side air box. this was super easy and gave me a ton of extra room to work.

2. between you and the end of the damper assy is a metal bracket that obstructs your view. I removed this, but in hindsight I don't think it was necessary but I had no idea how the assy was secured to the fuel line back there.

3. There is a green clip securing the assy to the fuel line. It is cylindrical and maybe 2" long, and open on one side. I spent quite a bit of time trying to poke around for some sort of release or something, but the whole thing just comes off if you pull away from the open side. If you look at the clip from the end, it kind of looks like a C <- open side.
I am hung up on step 3. I have no visibility from above and i was not able to disconnect the quick connector.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Fred_in_CT
I am hung up on step 3. I have no visibility from above and i was not able to disconnect the quick connector.
I am in the same situation. After noticing a fuel leak and tracking it down to the fuel damper discussed above, I tinkered around to see if I would be able to replace it myself. Looking from under the car, there is almost no way to reach the green clip. From above, I can't seem to find a good way to reach the bottom of the new assembly with enough visibility left over to see what I am doing. A little more in depth tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by LogicSays
I am in the same situation. After noticing a fuel leak and tracking it down to the fuel damper discussed above, I tinkered around to see if I would be able to replace it myself. Looking from under the car, there is almost no way to reach the green clip. From above, I can't seem to find a good way to reach the bottom of the new assembly with enough visibility left over to see what I am doing. A little more in depth tutorial would be greatly appreciated.
I think the service manual refers to using a quick release fuel line disconnect tool like: # J-45488

and used like this:

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...96b43f803815e6

I suspect there are less expensive knock off brand tools out there. Harbor freight probably sells one.

The following users liked this post:
LogicSays (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
I think the service manual refers to using a quick release fuel line disconnect tool like: # J-45488

and used like this:

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...96b43f803815e6

I suspect there are less expensive knock off brand tools out there. Harbor freight probably sells one.
If this part were a little more visible I might take it on but with it being so far down in there I am thinking I'll just have someone else do it. I'm still a little weary of doing any work on my car other than fluid changes/pads/etc. I need a bigger, more well equipped garage...

Old 01-17-2015, 10:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
This forum and you guys are awesome. I've caught a few whiffs of the gas smell recently and I'm suspecting it may eventually start leaking more. I'll try to tackle this myself if it becomes worse.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by gerschman
I did, indeed, order 22675JK20B.
One strange thing I noticed is that after I took off the damper, played around with the O-ring, and reassembled it, the gas smell is gone! My guess is that I do just have to replace the O-ring. I think with the ridiculously cold winter we had that the darn thing just shrank out of spec but after messing with it the other day and now that temps have moderated a bit, it may be ok now. But, it probably won't hurt to replace it anyway!
How do you disassemble the damper to get to the o-ring? the damper looks like one piece.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by tnduc
How do you disassemble the damper to get to the o-ring? the damper looks like one piece.

O-Ring is item 16618P, part# 1661810V10

Part connects via green quick connect on one side, and two hex bolts on the other side. O-ring is on the left hand side of this picture, underneath a little plastic protector.

Picture of the leak in action. I replaced the whole assembly, not just the O-Ring. I couldn't manage to disconnect the green quick disconnect, so I paid somebody to replace the fuel damper for me. Gas smell issue has been fixed for me.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Fred_in_CT

O-Ring is item 16618P, part# 1661810V10

Part connects via green quick connect on one side, and two hex bolts on the other side. O-ring is on the left hand side of this picture, underneath a little plastic protector.

Picture of the leak in action. I replaced the whole assembly, not just the O-Ring. I couldn't manage to disconnect the green quick disconnect, so I paid somebody to replace the fuel damper for me. Gas smell issue has been fixed for me.
I would like to try to replace just the gasket first but cannot see how to take the damper apart. Does the "hat" part just pull apart from the body, say with a set of channel locks? I don't want to damage it beyond repair just trying to replace the seal.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:34 PM
I would like to try to replace just the gasket first but cannot see how to take the damper apart. Does the "hat" part just pull apart from the body, say with a set of channel locks? I don't want to damage it beyond repair just trying to replace the seal.
The O-Ring is not the same as the diaphragm internal to the damper itself. I do not think you will be able to take apart the actual damper without damaging it. If the source of the leak is coming from inside the fuel damper itself, due to a damaged diaphragm, I think your only option is to replace the whole assembly.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:36 PM
How do I replace the o-ring? I have the part but just need to know the correct procedure for replacing it.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:45 PM
How do I replace the o-ring? I have the part but just need to know the correct procedure for replacing it.
O-ring can be accessed by lifting up the damper a little bit. The damper can be lifted up by unscrewing the two hex bolts in the third picture in the earlier post. You do not want the fuel system to be under pressure when you do this, you don't want to be sprayed by fuel.

I am not a qualified mechanic, so at this point I am a little wary about giving any suggestions. But, if you disconnect the fuse for the fuel pump and run the engine it should run all the fuel out of the lines.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Look here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2008/EM.pdf (refer to pages EM-36 to EM-41)

Depressurization procedure is covered here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2008/EC.pdf (refer to page EC-550)

The entire service manual is here:
for '07: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2007_G35_Sedan/
for '08: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2008/

They are basically identical between the two years though.

The following users liked this post:
Fred_in_CT (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 07:26 PM
I knew vqsmile would come to the rescue.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 g35x, solved gas smell in interior at idle problem