G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Top Speed exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Mufflers do not get that hot, most high heat paint will be fine.

Originally Posted by KyLex06
Yea, I just took a look at that thread and they do look a little odd. Hmmm.

I wish the actual mufflers were black, i'm sure they would blend in more if they were black.

Is there a paint that can withstand the temperatures of exhaust?

The following users liked this post:
Lartytiejdke3 (01-07-2013)
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Well you guys beat me to this thread. After looking for sound clips for weeks and not finding any I decided to buy the exhaust and make some myself. There is basicaly NO drone. It almost makes the car sound like it has a V8. This exhaust is not loud at all even WOT. I will add sound clips later. I have cold and warm startup videos posted on youtube already but cant put links yet because I am on a govt computer. I will be doing drive by and take off videos next. If you have been looking at this exhaust and dont want something super loud DONT HESITATE TO BUY THIS. The fit was great except the left side hangs about 1/8 higher than the right so I will have to shim the bracket down to compensate.

The following 5 users liked this post by gto2003:
blnewt (02-26-2012), kristof (02-26-2012), Lartytiejdke3 (01-07-2013), Racer_X (02-26-2012), willdogs (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by gto2003
Well you guys beat me to this thread. After looking for sound clips for weeks and not finding any I decided to buy the exhaust and make some myself. There is basicaly NO drone. It almost makes the car sound like it has a V8. This exhaust is not loud at all even WOT. I will add sound clips later. I have cold and warm startup videos posted on youtube already but cant put links yet because I am on a govt computer. I will be doing drive by and take off videos next. If you have been looking at this exhaust and dont want something super loud DONT HESITATE TO BUY THIS. The fit was great except the left side hangs about 1/8 higher than the right so I will have to shim the bracket down to compensate.
Excellent news, look forward to your links for sound
I assume you DIYed, if so was it just a simple bolt up? No extra cutting or welding req'd and all the factory fittings installed right up? Also did you have to reset the ECU or anything so the sensor lights wouldn't come on?
Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gto2003
Awesome! I can't wait to see the clips as well. Is there any way you can get pics of the system from the back at a couple different angles?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by dimsler
Mufflers do not get that hot, most high heat paint will be fine.
VHT caliper paint should suffice, and it'll cure on the pipes when you take it out for a long drive
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/caliperpaint/

Old 02-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Installation was simple. The worst part was taking the old exhaust off. The nuts at the Y-pipe sucked. I re-used the gasket at the Y and had everything hung in <20 minutes. I will try to get some pix.

Last edited by gto2003; 02-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Figured I'd throw in my opinion on Top Speed in general (I have a downpipe for my Celica Alltrac from them). Fitment wasn't the greatest, welds are sub-par (I deal with weld specs as part as my job), and the material used in construction is horrible (another topic I deal with as an engineer). It's what I would expect from a Chinese made exhaust. Of course it's cheap, that's because it IS cheap. I would stay away from all of their products, and save your money to buy a quality exhaust system.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Honestly. I dont have any issue with the quality. I have had magnaflow and flowmaster systems and they werent much (if any) nicer than what I received. I personally couldnt be any happier with my purchase and would make it again in a heart beat. I cant justify 900-1800 for a small gain in performance. I can easily justify 400 for the sound and look this gives me though. All of the welds on the system I got looked like they were done by a machine. The only issue I have with the company is that I had to buy the system to find out what it sounded like. They dont have anything on their website or anywhere with sound clips. They would sell a lot more systems if they stepped it up. I also couldnt find any dyno numbers (which I doubt there is much/any gain from this mod)

Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Not sure how long you've had it, but after 2 years, you will notice how poor the exhaust really is. I've had my Apexi Catback on my 240SX since 2007 (bought it used), and besides a dent that I did by hitting a rock, it is in the same great condition I bought it in. After only 2 years, my topspeed downpipe is rusting, all of the "stainless steel" shine is gone, and it's corroding on the inside badly (water is in exhaust, which will corrode 400 series SS very quickly if it's not coated). If you do not want to spend the $900 or more for a quality built and researched exhaust, then why not just have a reputable shop build you an exhaust for about $500-$600? It will be made of higher grade SS, be mandrel bent, and have perfect fitment. You will also be supporting the local economy instead of some crap shop in China making junk by paying it's "employees" $5/day. I personally will never buy another Chinese made car part again. The top speed DP is the last one...

Old 02-26-2012, 05:10 PM
I guess only time will tell. I just cant justify the amount of money they want for the "researched" exhausts that still make pathetic gains. And I dont do local shops unless I know them well. I have had some pretty crappy looking and fitting "custom" exhaust done by shops. And I dont know of any good shops where I am now.. And as far as the corrosion. My dads $1200 magnaflow system on his 2009 G8 looks like crap too. More money doesn't necessarily mean it will be better.

Last edited by gto2003; 02-26-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:16 PM
That is why I said reputable shop, lol. Unfortunately Magnaflow built up a name, and has thus switched to poor manufacturing practices to make a profit (happens to a lot of companies unfortunately). Knowing where and how a product is made is essential when buying anything as a consumer. And you keep saying you can't justify spending a decent amount of money for a quality exhaust, yet you own an Infiniti G. I'd understand your viewpoint if you were driving an 89 civic but owning an expensive luxury car means you were willing to spend the extra money on a quality car. So why the change in philosophy?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I guess we are working on different budgets here..lol. 900-1800 isnt a decent amount of money. Its an outrageous amount of money for the gains you are getting. I cant justify 5-10% of the value of the car for 5-10 hp.. Maybe you should post some pix of your downpipe so I (and anyone else reading this) can understand what you are talking about better.

I would have to see that these more expensive exhaust are holding up that much better to justify charging what they do. I know how much pipes and mufflers cost and they are mass producing them which cuts labor down dramatically. They should be cheaper than going to a shop not way more expensive. How much do you really think they spend on R&D to justify the cost?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
I would buy it!! If I had the money!! Lol! I am gonna just wait for someone to sell one used! it would be like $200!!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I will gladly post some pictures. I'll try to get some later this evening. When I said a decent amount of money, the context was as "a good amount" or "a lot", lol. And while the HP gains are important, I think sound and build quality are more important to the consumer. I'd take an exhaust system with 2hp less than the chinese one if it will last me the life of the car and sound amazing. I guess I think too long term with cars unlike a lot of people. Of course, I've had my project 240SX since October of 2003, where as most people would have switched cars already. Now with the HP subject addressed, typically, the more thought out and researched exhaust systems that cost more, will have a higher HP gain. This is always the case, but more often than not, it is. Also, one reason why the japanese exhaust are so expensive now (My celicas HKS catback went from $600 to $800 in the past two years), is because of the weakening dollar to yen (and everything else) exchange rate.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If someone isn't satisfied with their topspeed, i'll gladly take it off their hands.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Top Speed exhaust