G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tint Ticket in NY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Tint Ticket in NY

So i was driving home today around 5pm after work and it was really nice out. I usually get out at 7pm but decided to go home early because of the nice weather. I usually roll the windows down when driving in nice weather but was answering a call and rolled up my windows to hear the call easily. Finished with the call and left windows rolled up. I get off the brooklyn bridge and see a cop car with lights flashing (he had pulled someone over and was getting in his car to leave). I drive by him and he then swerves out after me (No sirens) and passes me. I then pass a bus and pass him again and they then noticed my window tint and immediatley swerved in behind me and pulled me over. For the record, i have %20 in all rear and %35 in the front. He used his meter and it came out to be %30 and gave me a ticket. I had showed him my reciept from the tint shop showing it was %35 for front and %20 for rear but he said it came out to %30 so he gave me the ticket. I just took it and drove off. I am def. going to fight it and just wanted to know your suggestions when i go to court. Here is a picture of my car with the tints.

Attached Thumbnails Tint Ticket in NY-img_4222.jpg   Tint Ticket in NY-img_4223.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 AM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
NYC tint law are no less than 75% you won't beat it unless you have a doctors exception notice submitted to DMV which is extremely hard to get. I would just pay or have no tints at all.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 AM
the reason i got %35 because i wanted to get the legal % for tint for the front and the installer said %35 shouldnt get me a ticket at all , if i were to pay, i wouldve just gotten %20 all over

Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Lol what are you going to fight? Your tint is illegal in NYC, anything darker than 70% is a no go. The installer said "shouldn't", that doesn't mean it's legal.
Instead of listening to the installer, you should have googled lol http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NY/

It sucks but that's the law bud, with tint in NYC we are taking a gamble, no way around it.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kind of a similar thing happend to me in upstate new york. Driving down court st ( 2 lane road) I was in the left lane cruzing going about 30 when I see a state trooper behind me about 100yds or so. After which when I saw him I went to the right lane as soon as he passed him on the left slammed on his brakes and pulled me over.

He had pulled me over because I took my front licencse off I have a licence plate hider and the nuts that where holding it came off. So he goes where is ur plate I tell him what happend he goes show me. I take the plate out of the trunk and show him how I had it underneath the car he goes ohh so u hide it. I'm like yea when I go out of state ( live about 14 miles from pa border.). As where walking back towards my trunk he goes you no your windows tints are illegal they are 35 all around. I told him they came like that when I bought the car which was a lie. He goes well I can give you 7 tickets for every single window that u have tinted I reply I did not know that sir. He goes well your going to be getting a ticket. I say ok thank you sir. 5 mins later comes out with a fix ticket says cuz you where respectabul won't give you a ticket for your front plate for your windows and he goes to say new York state law you can't have any aftermarket tints on your vechcile I won't give you a ticket for your rear licence plate ( I guess a part of plastic was covering my new York state sign) I will give you a ticket for blaked out rear lights.

It was a fix it ticket went to a local guarge he signed off on it and that was it

But gl I say if anything the shop that did your tints is at fault

Old 03-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Unfortunately even if the shop lied to him, he is still responsible in the eyes of the law. Ignorance of the law is not a legal defense.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by willdogs
Lol what are you going to fight? Your tint is illegal in NYC, anything darker than 70% is a no go. The installer said "shouldn't", that doesn't mean it's legal.
Instead of listening to the installer, you should have googled lol http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NY/

It sucks but that's the law bud, with tint in NYC we are taking a gamble, no way around it.
/end of thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always get tint tickets up here in Albany NY. Don't know if NYC is any different but NY state law is nothing less than 70% which is pretty much nothing anywhere. It was only 75 bucks tho so I personally will keep paying them

Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as the tint ticket goes don't fight it just pay it will be far less painless.
I have 5% back 10% front and have noticed the difference in enforcement of tint law in the city vs island vs upstate i am surprised they stressed you over yours looks legit what probably attracted his attention to you is that new law that passed where u have 2 move over for a emergency vehicle on roadway.

Question: was it one of those cops that sit @ the entrances ?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I have just sent in money with the citation number before- without a copy of the signed off ticket and they accepted it in CA

I think they just want the money

Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by GNN60GT500
I have just sent in money with the citation number before- without a copy of the signed off ticket and they accepted it in CA

I think they just want the money
Yep, I've seen this as well. However, from what I've seen, you always pay a much higher penalty if you don't show proof of correction. It will be like $100 to just pay it off, but only $15 - $25 if you provide proof of correction.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Your tint is illegal..nothing to fight and you won't win

Lucky for me when i got my 4 tint tickets..i knew a statie

Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Wait is %35 tint legal in NY because thats what i thought my installer put for the front windows, i clearly know %30 is illegal now

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Like I said, 35% is still illegal.

5%, 15%, 20%, 30%, 35%, 50%, 60% are all ILLEGAL.

70% Tint = Legal.

It is a common mistake thinking that 35% is legal because most people get 35% to be "Safe" from tickets as most cops won't care much if you have 35% tint, but under the law it is still illegal.

I have 35% tint on my car and know that if I get a ticket (or multiple tickets) one day, I won't be surprised. I've just been lucky so far.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
This is actually my greatest fear! In the night 35% look completely dark!! I know I should have gone lighter but 35% looked light in person. It's a matter of time!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tint Ticket in NY