G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Sunroof won't open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sunroof won't open

Any1 have this problem: My sunroof, when I try to open it will sound like the motor is running through a complete, normal cycle, but it's not moving the glass.
It's stuck in the closed position luckily.
Maybe it became detached from the mechanism?
Would it be possible to take down the headliner and reconnect it or would that be difficult to make it look like it was never down(sagging, etc.)? TIA

Old 03-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ive never had the sunroof stuck closed, but its been stuck in the vent position before. When I pressed the button to close it, the motor would start but then it would kind of stall out the way your car will stall if you rev a manual into redline. Took it to the dealer and they said that ALL the screws that hold the motor up had come loose and the gears of the motor werent in contact with the gears that slide the glass.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Iv seen a couple of ppl with this problem here on the forums and like SoloG said the screws came loose which apparently are very easy to re-tighten by pulling the liner a little form the sides without having to remove the entire thing

Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help sunroof problem

Originally Posted by Mike75
Any1 have this problem: My sunroof, when I try to open it will sound like the motor is running through a complete, normal cycle, but it's not moving the glass.
It's stuck in the closed position luckily.
Maybe it became detached from the mechanism?
Would it be possible to take down the headliner and reconnect it or would that be difficult to make it look like it was never down(sagging, etc.)? TIA
know this is an old topic but im currently experiencing the same problem u had my sunroof wont open but i do hear the motor trying to open how dud u fix the problem and what was the problem

Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kelvin21
know this is an old topic but im currently experiencing the same problem u had my sunroof wont open but i do hear the motor trying to open how dud u fix the problem and what was the problem
Sounds like the same problem that I had and many others. Screws most likely came loose from the motor and its hanging below the gear mechanism to move the glass. If you pull down the headliner you can get right at the screws and secure them with some loctite to keep it from happening again

If you don't want to tackle it, your local dealer should be able to do it for free or cheap. It takes like 30 min max to do

The following users liked this post:
kelvin21 (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Solo G
Sounds like the same problem that I had and many others. Screws most likely came loose from the motor and its hanging below the gear mechanism to move the glass. If you pull down the headliner you can get right at the screws and secure them with some loctite to keep it from happening again

If you don't want to tackle it, your local dealer should be able to do it for free or cheap. It takes like 30 min max to do
thanks ill give it a try if not ill just bring it to the dealer