G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2008 G35XS brake judder and Morrey Infiniti

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2008 G35XS brake judder and Morrey Infiniti

I have just read a number of posts about brake judder and this model of Infiniti - a 2008 G35XS Sports sedan. Apparently there may have been a recall on this and other issues. I bought my car new from Morrey Infiniti in 2008 and I have had problems with this brake judder for the past 3 years. (Note please that I am retired and do little driving. There are only 21000 K on it. Also, I am very easy on the brakes. I do not 'gun it' when coming up to a traffic light that is or is about to be red. And I also use the engine to slow the car down. I have not moved since buying the car and have never gotten any recall notices. I made an appointment to have the brakes looked at by Morrey Infiniti in Port Coquitlam, B.C. and was told "it is not a safety issue" so there was no need to check th brakes (rotors). The problem persisted and I had written several emails to the owner, Jason Morrey who finally told me 2 months ago "to get a a hobby" - insinuating that I should not concern myself with such a trivial matter. I paid over $50,000 for this vehicle and, safety or not, I do not enjoy the car's reacting like a jack rabbit every time I apply the brakes. I especially do not enjoy these remarks from the dealership. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to follow up? Was there a recall in Canada or was it only in the U.S.? I have written Infiniti Canada but they do not seem to be interested. I cannot believe the indifference, if not downright cheek from the dealership from whom this "luxury" car was purchased!!Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
This is a follow-up to above post. On June 18th I contacted Infiniti customer service and explained (or tried to) my problems. After a lengthy conversation (Infiniti's customer file number 2451778) I was finally told that Infiniti does not warrant either brakes or rotors. I finally gave up and went to Jonker Nissan as there are no other dealers near me and was told what I already had read on the web, there was at least one bulletin sent out saying: THE WARRANTY ON BRAKES AND ROTORS HAD BEEN EXTENDED FROM 4 YEARS! I have not heard back from Infiniti re their file number and was told that I likely would not hear back since this is considered to be an internal matter??? There is something terribly wrong here - besides the fact that I was told an apparent falsehood by Infiniti - and would invite any comments on where I should go from here. One thing is clear to me, I will never, ever again buy from Infiniti Canada! This is the absolute truth and would invite Infiniti to respond - if they can! (Gordon from Langley, B.C.)

Last edited by Gordon Mathison; 06-24-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: more (false) information from Infiniti
Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Not sure if you are still under warranty but if out of warranty, most tsb issues would probably not be covered unless you had a really good dealer. Even under warranty, tsb's are not recalls and dealers often do different things. Dealing with my dealer is like pulling teeth, especially since I DIY most service maintenance items--if you get all your oil changes and service done at the dealer, they are more likely to help you. I just bought new rotors/pads and the splash shields and installed myself--no more judder!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I would actually have to agree in the sense that I'm pretty disappointed with Infiniti as a dealer having come from both Honda and Toyota.

I absolutely love and adore my G35 and will buy another Infiniti in the future, but while the dealership looks like a nightclub, they seem to try and brush you off at every turn and ask for stupid high up front fees just to look at the car.

Not to mention the condescending attitude.

Them: "Oh sir, $200 to have the mechanic just look at the car is a bit much for you huh?"

Me: "Uh, I'd rather have my mechanic friend look at it, I actually trust him."

Them: Laugh

(And I'm not dressed like a bum either)

Old 06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordon Mathison
I have just read a number of posts about brake judder and this model of Infiniti - a 2008 G35XS Sports sedan. Apparently there may have been a recall on this and other issues. I bought my car new from Morrey Infiniti in 2008 and I have had problems with this brake judder for the past 3 years. (Note please that I am retired and do little driving. There are only 21000 K on it. Also, I am very easy on the brakes. I do not 'gun it' when coming up to a traffic light that is or is about to be red. And I also use the engine to slow the car down. I have not moved since buying the car and have never gotten any recall notices. I made an appointment to have the brakes looked at by Morrey Infiniti in Port Coquitlam, B.C. and was told "it is not a safety issue" so there was no need to check th brakes (rotors). The problem persisted and I had written several emails to the owner, Jason Morrey who finally told me 2 months ago "to get a a hobby" - insinuating that I should not concern myself with such a trivial matter. I paid over $50,000 for this vehicle and, safety or not, I do not enjoy the car's reacting like a jack rabbit every time I apply the brakes. I especially do not enjoy these remarks from the dealership. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to follow up? Was there a recall in Canada or was it only in the U.S.? I have written Infiniti Canada but they do not seem to be interested. I cannot believe the indifference, if not downright cheek from the dealership from whom this "luxury" car was purchased!!Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
There was never a recall in the first place. They were only issued a TSB, not a recall so it was whether the dealer or not who wanted to fix it for you.

As for your problem, it's very common to have the brake judder in these cars (myself included.) What I did is after the brake pads were gone, I just put on Centric Premium Rotors and Hawk Ceramic Performance pads and the judder was gone...it never came back, so maybe you're better off spending around $500 to replace the rotors and pads (labor included.) If you can spend $50k on a car, and you've had it for 4 years already, it's okay to spend $500 to replace rotors/brake pads. Your car is probably due for a brake service change anyways. This leads me to believe that it was actually Infiniti/Nissan putting crappy rotors on the cars in the first place. Don't buy these rotors at the dealer, since they probably charge almost $200 per rotor when you can get better ones for far less.

Usually, brake pads wear out around 30k miles in these cars on average. The previous owner before me wore the rear pads out at 15k miles. Also, warranty does not cover "wear and tear" items, such as brakes, so you're out of luck.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
As mentioned, there was not a recall for the brakes. There is a Technical Service Bulliten (TSB) for the brakes which requires that the car is within the 4 year warranty period. TSB ITB11-050
https://g35driver.com/forums/alldata...engineid=4204/

The written letter to Infiniti Canada is a good start but you should call Infiniti Consumer Affairs. The number is: For Canadian customers
1-800-361-4792

The 'get a hobby' comment is rude. If you have proof he said that you should mention it during your call to ICA.

My Infiniti dealer worked on my 07x brakes 2 times, for judder, while the car was within the warranty period. Many many others have also had theirs repaired/replaced under the judder TSB.

The unfortunate thing for you is the very limited mileage you have driven since buying the car. It has taken this long to create the judder problem. Most of us found out in the first 1-2 years of owner ship.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Try other Infiniti dealerships in the area. Go with the tsb printed out in hand.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:47 PM
I would say to try another infiniti dealer.
I've only had my G35x for 1 month , went to the Luciani Dealer here in Montreal and ive gotten nothing but excellent service !!!
Im only 22 years old , and i was expecting them to try to walk all over me and not consider me as a real consumer.
As soon as i walked in that beautiful building , everyone treated me like if i was a king or something lol.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Brake Judder

I have a 08 G35xS with brake judder. I though I just needed a brake replacement. Car was just inspected brakes passed. I wasconsidering new rotors and pads anyone with a good replacement idea I would appreciate! Try to keep it around $500 since I'm retried.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
There was never a recall in the first place. They were only issued a TSB, not a recall so it was whether the dealer or not who wanted to fix it for you.

As for your problem, it's very common to have the brake judder in these cars (myself included.) What I did is after the brake pads were gone, I just put on Centric Premium Rotors and Hawk Ceramic Performance pads and the judder was gone...it never came back, so maybe you're better off spending around $500 to replace the rotors and pads (labor included.) If you can spend $50k on a car, and you've had it for 4 years already, it's okay to spend $500 to replace rotors/brake pads. Your car is probably due for a brake service change anyways. This leads me to believe that it was actually Infiniti/Nissan putting crappy rotors on the cars in the first place. Don't buy these rotors at the dealer, since they probably charge almost $200 per rotor when you can get better ones for far less.

Usually, brake pads wear out around 30k miles in these cars on average. The previous owner before me wore the rear pads out at 15k miles. Also, warranty does not cover "wear and tear" items, such as brakes, so you're out of luck.
This... (although I'd be surprised if the drive-by-poster comes back)

Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

I did see the post I'm hoping for a few more ideas. The brakes make me crazy since the car is so perfect otherwise, when you consider speed steering comfort and overall style
Thanks again Barry

Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by bfried1052
I did see the post I'm hoping for a few more ideas. The brakes make me crazy since the car is so perfect otherwise, when you consider speed steering comfort and overall style
Thanks again Barry
You previously said "Car was just inspected brakes passed." When and by whom?
They should check the brakes again...this time while driving it. They wouldn't find the judder from a routine brake inspection but they will feel it if you ask them to road test it.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When coming to a stop my steering wheel vibrates (Mostly when braking from high speeds.)

I am still under warranty, if i take my car to the dealer with a printout of the TBS would they be required to fix this?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My bumper to bumper is up next month. I took it to the dealer whom I have not paid a dime to as they have not serviced the vehicle. They replaced my splash guards, shaved my rotors and pads under warranty (in addition to several other warranty issues) and I had no problem whatsoever. Try another dealership if there is one close or follow the link that rpm gave you to go avoid having to deal with your troublesome dealer.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Mike45
When coming to a stop my steering wheel vibrates (Mostly when braking from high speeds.)

I am still under warranty, if i take my car to the dealer with a printout of the TBS would they be required to fix this?
Steering wheel vibration while braking is definitely a symptom of 'brake judder'.
Definitely take it in with a printout. You shouldn't have to say much and the printout will show them you've done a little homework and they can't try and mess with your wallet.
Had mine fixed two times on my 07X. My dealership was very accepting both times.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:12 AM
I have been servicing my car at Morrey Infiniti in Port Coquitlam and my car is at 75000km. I had the break judder symptom around 20000km, they resurfaced the rotors in the front and it was fine up until around 45000-50000km which i had to had my front break pads replaced.

I showed them the TSB and they replaced the front rotors for free under warranty + TSB when i did the front break job as they said it was premature. I basically only paid the break pads for parts + labor... I was pretty happy and haven't had an issue since. The key is to show them the TSB and bring the TSB paper in. https://g35driver.com/forums/alldata.php

If you still have warranty left, i would go an address it soon..

It really depends on the service adviser too.. I go with Chris Colins there only

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 G35XS brake judder and Morrey Infiniti