G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Best Replacement Clutch for 2008 G35 Sport Sedan

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-14-2013 | 03:09 PM
did the master cylinder have any fluid in it after the pedal got stuck to the floor?

The following users liked this post:
Phasers (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013 | 04:36 PM
|
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
did the master cylinder have any fluid in it after the pedal got stuck to the floor?
Don't know. But anyways here is Update #2: After pressurizing the master cylinder, he noticed a leak in the slave cylinder, so the slave cylinder definitely needs to be replaced. Also, he said a bearing (release bearing) needs to be replaced as well. Finally, he said it is recommended to change the clutch if swapping out those two parts. He said total labor is $500 + parts. If I want to change the flywheel too, he said he'd do that for an extra $20-30.

So, I'd like thoughts from people here on what they think. Should I change the clutch/flywheel or just the slave cylinder/relase bearing.

Also, since I seem to need a lot of work, I figure I might as well take the opportunity to upgrade a bit, so can anyone recommend a combo package of things I can order to have my mechanic install them?

Old 01-14-2013 | 04:48 PM
Firstly his labor costs are fair and around what iv paid for in the past with other such cars. Changing the release bearing is always a good idea if i were you i would spend the extra $$ to get a new clutch and flywheel kit since the tranny will be out to avoid paying $500 again for labor later down the road to change em. personally i would go with OEM to avoid additional clutch chatter and keep the clutch from becoming more firm but thats up to your preferences.

If you can spare a few more $$ i would go with the Z1 slave cylinder which is much more stronger than OEM and has great reviews on these forums but requires a bit of modification to install as shown by instructions that come with it.

Phasers (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013 | 05:39 PM
|
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Firstly his labor costs are fair and around what iv paid for in the past with other such cars. Changing the release bearing is always a good idea if i were you i would spend the extra $$ to get a new clutch and flywheel kit since the tranny will be out to avoid paying $500 again for labor later down the road to change em. personally i would go with OEM to avoid additional clutch chatter and keep the clutch from becoming more firm but thats up to your preferences.

If you can spare a few more $$ i would go with the Z1 slave cylinder which is much more stronger than OEM and has great reviews on these forums but requires a bit of modification to install as shown by instructions that come with it.
Great! I will definitely get the z1 slave cylinder. Is there an upgraded release bearing or does it come with the z1?

Also can you link the z1?

OEM Clutch is $650 from stealership. I can get a new clutch and flywheel combo for $700. I figure I might as well upgrade, so which would have the least chatter? Exedy? ACT? JWT?

Old 01-14-2013 | 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Phasers
Great! I will definitely get the z1 slave cylinder. Is there an upgraded release bearing or does it come with the z1?

Also can you link the z1?

OEM Clutch is $650 from stealership. I can get a new clutch and flywheel combo for $700. I figure I might as well upgrade, so which would have the least chatter? Exedy? ACT? JWT?
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...ZSPHDSLAVE.htm

I suggest you try and get some first hand exposure to any non-stock (ie. non dual mass)flywheel before you order one. See if there is someone with one in your area that can let you hear it. What some folks might call acceptable can be a downright deal breaker for many others. You were warned!

kool: it appears that the Z1 CSC is now a direct bolt-in and no longer requires the mods.

The following 2 users liked this post by vqsmile:
kool_yaar (01-15-2013), Phasers (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013 | 07:49 PM
|
So, searching around, I have found the following:

Nismo Roller Bearing Pilot Bushing - $18
JWT HD Clutch & Flywheel Combo - $775
Z1 Slave Cylinder (correct part???) - ~$47
Edit: It appears I was corrected: Z1 Slave Cylinder - $325

Is this correct. Do I need anything else?

Edit #2: I found this site which has the JWT Clutch Kit + CZP Stainless Steel Clutch Line + Nismo Pilot Needle Bushing for $759

Last edited by Phasers; 01-14-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2013 | 07:58 PM
Not the right slave cylinder. Ours is inside the tranny case which makes changing the clutch at the same time a no-brainer.

http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...on.php?II=4593

Phasers (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013 | 09:05 PM
|
I'm looking for an Exedy OEM Clutch to compare prices, but I can't seem to find one online for my vehicle.

Does anyone have a link?

Old 01-15-2013 | 10:18 AM
Doesn't look like they have one available. When you search their site there is only a racing flywheel:

http://www.exedyusa.com/oe/car_make_...ymm_liter=3.5L

I came from the VW\Audi world and the most popular (and durable) clutches for us were South Bend (DXD) and Clutch Masters. South Bend may have an option for you. Their catalog says they have products for up to 2007, so I would make a call to see if they now have stuff for the 2008:

http://www.southbendclutch.com/

Clutch Masters has products for the 2008 G:

http://clutchmasters.com/shop/?page=...124&AppID=3344

Last edited by Sweet Lew; 01-15-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Phasers (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013 | 04:33 PM
|
Thank you again everyone.

I went ahead and picked up the JWT clutch/flywheel combo (figure I will risk it on the weight/chatter issue), and the z1 slave cylinder, as well as a new main seal for the transmission just in case.

Will have the mechanic install as soon as they arrive.

Once, again, all the help from you guys was much appreciated.

Old 01-29-2013 | 04:27 AM
any updates and thoughts to the new clutch/slave?

i'm in the same situation where according to infiniti, my slave wore out and thus damaged my clutch/etc. i'm out of warranty by time on an 08 but with 52k miles and corporate denied my request for assistance. my mechanic suggested the exedy oem replacement clutch an an oem slave replacement (was unaware of the z1 aftermarket slave)

i tried looking up reviews of the z1 slave but couldn't find too many reports/reviews. can anyone speak from personal experience?

thanks

Old 02-01-2013 | 12:18 PM
after reading these posts i def got some good info. if i shift at high RPM's in first gear (just say i was trying to do a burn out) it doesnt catch and just slips. the clutch will feel loose as hell after that. I always assumed it was the slave cylinder but i rarely beat on my car so i always brushed it off. what do you guys think?

Old 02-02-2013 | 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by bwalsh
after reading these posts i def got some good info. if i shift at high RPM's in first gear (just say i was trying to do a burn out) it doesnt catch and just slips. the clutch will feel loose as hell after that. I always assumed it was the slave cylinder but i rarely beat on my car so i always brushed it off. what do you guys think?
I have had the same issue since new. I think it has more to do with the disc/pressure plate. My car is a daily driver so I'm not going to worry about it until it comes time for a new clutch.

Old 02-03-2013 | 12:54 PM
Bump on Phasers updates...Looking to see how he's liking the JWT combo...

Old 02-07-2013 | 10:50 AM
|
Originally Posted by gcg35
any updates and thoughts to the new clutch/slave?

i'm in the same situation where according to infiniti, my slave wore out and thus damaged my clutch/etc. i'm out of warranty by time on an 08 but with 52k miles and corporate denied my request for assistance. my mechanic suggested the exedy oem replacement clutch an an oem slave replacement (was unaware of the z1 aftermarket slave)

i tried looking up reviews of the z1 slave but couldn't find too many reports/reviews. can anyone speak from personal experience?

thanks
Hey sorry for the late reply, but here is my experience:

The clutch grips much better now. I mean, it is a night and day difference vs the old one. The clutch pedal also has a much stronger feel to it, and so I am getting used to that. My left thigh certainly has built some muscle!

The new slave cylinder was too strong and finished killing off my master cylinder, so I had to get a new OEM Master Cylinder installed, which was about another $240 total ($140 for part, $100 for labor- I have a great mechanic).

As for the chatter issue, it is definitely noticeable and louder, but acceptable to me. It is of course much more noticeable outside the car than in the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best Replacement Clutch for 2008 G35 Sport Sedan