G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

UCA and LCA's - symptoms?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
UCA and LCA's - symptoms?

Guys,

What would be the symptoms of worn or failing UCA/LCA bushings?

Also, is it worth getting these parts used? I don't have a shop press and can't replace just the bushings, so it will have to be the whole arm. Between new and used is about a $100 difference per LCA, for example.

My UCA is the adjustable SPC one.

I'd rather get new or refurb'd, but finances are tight and i have other things to fix with the car (i.e. leaking rack, dry-rotted window seals, scratched door handles, etc.)

Thanks.

p.s. Will any V36 parts fit ours? I say yes, but want to be sure. I found a few junkyard parts from a recently totalled/rear-ended IPL (IIRC) locally.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Anyone?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Not sure how i missed this... from previous experience the most common symptom iv had is loud clunk sound when going over bumps and every time it was the LCA bushing being shot and braking hard from moderate speed the steering would vibrate much like when you have warped rotors but much more 'violent' and it only happens when the bushings are almost totally done. Also though i havent tried this myself i have been told that you will also be able to see play in the wheel when you try to move/wobble it while on the lift. Best thing is to look at the bushings themselves

Obviously getting new is always better as it gives you longer service life but with tight finances its better to have working used CA than broken ones imo and for the $$ you'll save you should be able to make it worth it for the amount of miles it gives you in return without clunking.

I too am not 100% certain but 99.9% certain that V36 parts would be the same but bets bet would be to ask a suspension vendor on the forums i guess before dishing out any money as most vendors are always ready to help!

With all that being said i feel you on being tight on finances and having things to do. I too have bad control arm bushings for sure given i am experiencing the same symptoms as i stated before but just havent been able to check them given the bad weather and lack of $$ also want to swap out the interior pull handles and steering trim with the newer one which is more scratch resistant, need new brakes and obviously the steering rack which is the biggest issue money wise but im not even thinking about that right now

Hope it helps!

The following users liked this post:
soundmike (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 AM
You make a good point, for about $100+ more, i'll likely get more than double the lifespan compared to a used unit. I'll look into refurbs, too. Swapping out bushings would certainly be the cheapest route, but between the extra downtime with that, and the fact all i've seen for replacements are poly (stiffer ride,) it's not entirely the ideal route.

So it's a clunk? I guess that's one thing to not worry about for now then. The visible parts of the bushings look fine.

Hmm... we G35D's should set-up a core-exchange program of some sort. Knowing the types of problems we are typically going to have, we could have a rolling set of cores to send to folks, get them to replace whatever can be replaced (bushings in this case) and forward their core on to the next person in line.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ that would be an excellent idea but given the fact that this doesnt happen that often who ever wants to the this core exchange program would have to be a patient person willing to help the community rather than trying to make a consistent income given how he'd get paid in long intervals.

While every other issue on this car is pretty normal compared to any other 6+ year old car with a stiff sports suspension i expect the suspension to give away earlier than most but the only thing i did not expect or think is normal is the steering rack.

and yes the clunk is pretty noticeable on big bumps or really rough roads else normally i get nothing. If i can conjure up some extra money i could really use it for the rack, ca and brakes but for no i too will be postponing it.