G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Switch in Center Console Arm Rest?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Switch in Center Console Arm Rest?!?!?!

Hey all.

I recently picked up a 2007 G35 Journey.

In the center console arm rest there is a switch.

I am the 4th owner, and the guy I bought it from did not install it nor did he ever ask his seller what it was.

I know no one can tell me for sure what it is since it is aftermarket, but any ideas what the point of it could possibly be?

When I unscrew the switch (it doesnt unscrew completely) I can hear wires moving in the center console like near where the passenger's left leg is running up to the NAV unit.

I have switched it back and forth, it doesnt change anything on the NAV, no audio settings, no exhaust settings, no interior or exterior lighting. The only thing I can think of is an on/off switch for an external amp (that has since been removed)?

Just looking for thoughts on this one!

Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Jacqueline (11-16-2020)
Old 03-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeJones916
When I unscrew the switch (it doesnt unscrew completely) I can hear wires moving in the center console like near where the passenger's left leg is running up to the NAV unit.

I have switched it back and forth, it doesnt change anything on the NAV, no audio settings, no exhaust settings, no interior or exterior lighting. The only thing I can think of is an on/off switch for an external amp (that has since been removed)?

Thanks.

Well try plugging something in the RCA (video camera or something) and guess go for a little drive to see if the video still outputs to the Navi (Aux) or if it bypasses the controls.. Based on the location, i'm gonna guess that it could be a Parking Brake bypass for the AUX Video/Navigation Lock Out for when the vehicle moves.

Just a thought

Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Timbits93
Well try plugging something in the RCA (video camera or something) and guess go for a little drive to see if the video still outputs to the Navi (Aux) or if it bypasses the controls.. Based on the location, i'm gonna guess that it could be a Parking Brake bypass for the AUX Video/Navigation Lock Out for when the vehicle moves.

Just a thought
Ok I see what you are saying.

So right now I simply have the red and white RCA plugs for the aux to use on my phone/ipod or any 3.5mm.

Is there a connector that has the (I assume) yellow connector that would allow me to play video through the 3.5mm jack or would I need some other type of connector for my ipod?

Something like this I would assume?

( http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-1-8-to...item20cedc53c5 )

Or does it need the actual iPod style plugin like this?

( http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProLinks-Tri...item20c8e39977 )

_Michael

Last edited by MikeJones916; 03-03-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Have you checked the battery compartment for an aftermarket fuse holder? That will tell you whether it's for an amp (since there should be a power line run to the trunk also). Otherwise, to answer your question, it depends on what Gen iPod but if it's a newer iPod then it's safe to say you need one with the dock-style connector (second kind).

Also, be aware that bypassing the parking brake lockout on the video input is a taboo topic here and the moderators won't take too kindly to discussing it. Regarding this topic though I would think it's acceptable to discuss as a possibility since you should find out what that switch actually does.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
As a mod I don't see an issue here, but let's not stray off topic too far please.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Hey Remmy.

Thanks for the information.

I guess it could be the navigation bypass, I find it odd that just discussing it would be taboo as I am not asking how to do that, merely looking for things that it could be, and the NAV bypass could possibly be it.

Yeah I did check the battery compartment and couldn't find anything new in there. No aftermarket stereo equipment (amp to turn on remotely), no fog lights, nothing, kinda frustrating.

I honestly have no intention of taking the dash apart to find out, and as it is an aftermarket mod done by 1 of the 3 previous owners I guess I will never know.

Thanks for the information though.

I was just trying to find suggestions to what it might be based on some user's experiences with this. Honestly the NAV bypass sounds pretty realistic, so would an exhaust cutoff (my friends ZO6 has one) but I know it is not that.

Thanks for the suggestions!

_Michael

Last edited by MikeJones916; 03-05-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Given the A/V inputs it is highly likely it's the bypass. Park it in your driveway and hook your xbox or wii or anything else you might have with rca outputs and switch to aux inputs. Put the car in drive and see if you get video. Then toggle the switch.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Good idea Kerry I will try it later.

Thanks for the input everyone, always appreciated!

_Michael

Old 11-16-2020, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35
Originally Posted by MikeJones916
Hey all.

I recently picked up a 2007 G35 Journey.

In the center console arm rest there is a switch.

I am the 4th owner, and the guy I bought it from did not install it nor did he ever ask his seller what it was.

I know no one can tell me for sure what it is since it is aftermarket, but any ideas what the point of it could possibly be?

Thanks.

Im not sure if you ever found the answer but I have the same switch under my armrest.