G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

PIA battery swap!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIA battery swap!

My car was built in Dec '06 and still had the original battery. I decided not to try to get another winter out of it so I bought a new Everstart Maxx at Walmart based on a recent Consumer Report tests. I followed the DIY procedure at this forum but wow, what a PIA! I'm kinda glad I did it myself though rather than leave it up to some stoned surfer working at NAPA or some local garage. The potential for broken cowl, torn rubber and lost fasteners is pretty high. My advice - if you don't want to do it yourself then take it to an Infiniti mechanic. The application guide at Walmart directed me to buy a group 24F but it appeared that the OEM battery is likely a group 35 which is slightly smaller and lower CCA. The 24F fit okay but might be a little taller making the battery hatch cover fit very tight against the positive terminal. I also didn't bother with terminal grease or those worthless little felt washers. The factory doesn't use them and my old battery was perfectly clean and dry after seven years. Good luck to anyone needing to do this as winter approaches! I miss the good old days when car batteries were up front and right out in the open.

While the battery was out I noticed my cabin micro filter was dirty. I was tempted to try and pull it out through the firewall intake and clean it. Probably a bad idea huh?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Infinitude
My car was built in Dec '06 and still had the original battery. I decided not to try to get another winter out of it so I bought a new Everstart Maxx at Walmart based on a recent Consumer Report tests. I followed the DIY procedure at this forum but wow, what a PIA! I'm kinda glad I did it myself though rather than leave it up to some stoned surfer working at NAPA or some local garage. The potential for broken cowl, torn rubber and lost fasteners is pretty high. My advice - if you don't want to do it yourself then take it to an Infiniti mechanic. The application guide at Walmart directed me to buy a group 24F but it appeared that the OEM battery is likely a group 35 which is slightly smaller and lower CCA. The 24F fit okay but might be a little taller making the battery hatch cover fit very tight against the positive terminal. I also didn't bother with terminal grease or those worthless little felt washers. The factory doesn't use them and my old battery was perfectly clean and dry after seven years. Good luck to anyone needing to do this as winter approaches! I miss the good old days when car batteries were up front and right out in the open.

While the battery was out I noticed my cabin micro filter was dirty. I was tempted to try and pull it out through the firewall intake and clean it. Probably a bad idea huh?
Walmart is wrong. Group 35 is OEM for the 2007 v36 G35 sedan (after the redesign.) Group 24 is OEM for the 2007 Infiniti v35 G35 coupe (before the redesign.) I also recommend using Costco Kirkland auto batteries for their great warranty (3 year free replacement and 100 month warranty.) I believe Everstart Maxx has a similar warranty?

Replace cabin filter through the passenger storage bin.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Walmart is wrong. Group 35 is OEM for the 2007 v36 G35 sedan (after the redesign.) Group 24 is OEM for the 2007 Infiniti v35 G35 coupe (before the redesign.) I also recommend using Costco Kirkland auto batteries for their great warranty (3 year free replacement and 100 month warranty.) I believe Everstart Maxx has a similar warranty?

Three year replacement with five year pro-rate. I checked several battery manufacturers web sites and all indicated both 24F and 35 as the correct fit. Oddly enough years ago when I replaced the battery in my '03 G35 they did the reverse. Put a group 35 in it which was too loose. The hold down bracket wouldn't tighten up.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 PM

Three year replacement with five year pro-rate. I checked several battery manufacturers web sites and all indicated both 35 and 24F as the correct fit. Oddly enough, years ago when I replaced the battery in my '03 G35 they did the reverse. Put a group 35 in it which was too loose. The hold down bracket wouldn't tighten up.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Infinitude
Three year replacement with five year pro-rate. I checked several battery manufacturers web sites and all indicated both 24F and 35 as the correct fit. Oddly enough years ago when I replaced the battery in my '03 G35 they did the reverse. Put a group 35 in it which was too loose. The hold down bracket wouldn't tighten up.
24F and 35 can be interchangeable but OEM is Group 35. The OEM for 2007 Infiniti G35 coupe is Group 24F.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
id normally get a higher than stock cca rating

Old 11-25-2013, 10:07 PM
24F and 35 can be interchangeable but OEM is Group 35. The OEM for 2007 Infiniti G35 coupe is Group 24F.
Well, like I said the 24F fit fine but the hatch lid was touching the red plastic hood on the positive terminal. I had to press down hard to get the catch to close.

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2013, 02:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I Just change my battery over the weekend it wasnt really PITA to change it.. its pretty easy for me.. I have 2007 sedan.. and yes when I called the infiniti they told me its 24F but the battery i bought its 35 and fits perfectly..

Old 11-26-2013, 04:43 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
My 06 still has the original battery. I'm probably due instead of waiting for it to leave me stranded. My upgraded stereo has me worried too.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by dukehotty
My 06 still has the original battery. I'm probably due instead of waiting for it to leave me stranded. My upgraded stereo has me worried too.
Maybe I could have gotten another winter out of mine! Car batteries don't always give you any warning. Especially when the temperature drops. I've been stranded more than once.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by emorehs
I Just change my battery over the weekend it wasnt really PITA to change it.. its pretty easy for me..
I have arthritis in both thumbs. Anything with a lot of fussy fasteners is a PIA for me. Actually the most difficult thing was trying to remove the carrying strap after I dropped the battery in place. I wound up just cutting it off with tin snips.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
This winter isn't as cold as last year where I had to squirt washer fluid to get rid of ice in the mornings. Also had to wear long sleeves when I rode my motorcycle.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just did this yesterday, it was a bit of a pain but not too bad. Hardest part was getting my old battery out without the strap. I was able to get the bracket/j hooks under the strap on the new battery so I just left it on. Going to pick up some new retaining screw/clips to replace some that looked damaged (looks like battery was replaced once before, and windshield was replaced once as well.)

I got the battery at Advanced Auto, their Autocraft gold size 35, it has 3 years complete coverage then another 2 of pro-rate. If anyone needs a battery, you can order online and choose the in store pickup for free, enter promo code TRT41 and you'll get $40 off.

Bonus is the vents on my cowl are factory clean now, there was so much crud the vacuum couldn't get out, but blasting it from the backside with a hose did the trick.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by dukehotty
Yep, my OEM batt is still cranking away after 6-1/2 years now and with no signs of any issues.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:48 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I don't know what's so difficult about sedan, I swapped mine in the coupe in a jiffy.
I did it actually during my Washington, Oregon, California road trip. Pulled in to Costco in OR, bought and swapped the battery in a parking lot while wife stood in line for some grub. Was pretty easy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PIA battery swap!