G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08-217/)
-   -   Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/442390-full-vinyl-wrap-project-input-tips-appreciated.html)

rollaspeed1 07-19-2014 06:22 PM

Full Vinyl Wrap Project -- Input and tips appreciated

5 Attachment(s)
I know its been done before. But not on my car lol. I am assuming it'll be a little bit of a project since I'll be doing a section at a time after work with no prior experience. Input and tips are appreciated. I think I've read every thread about this up to date. This is a double purpose project: yes, I want my car wrapped, but I also, mainly, want to develop the skill set to wrap, so hopefully, I can wrap for $$$. I figured I'd start working with my car and friends' cars for free (materials on them) untill I am confident enough.

I JUST ordered everything needed:

- 5ft x 80ft of vinyl. Thats roughly double what I need but for the price and for trial and error extras as well as for potential fixes I got the bigger roll. $300

- 5ft x 10ft of CF vinyl for the hood/grille/trims/mirrors/maybe trunk. May need more of this if I decide to do the trunk. $65 --- I may also just do CF hood and trunk and do black roof, grille, and trims and body colored mirrors. We'll see how I feel.

- Tools. Primer/sealer/squeegees/heat gun/knifeless tape/etc. Approximately $100

So all together it came out to about $500, including all the extras.

I ordered Vvivid brand as opposed to, say, 3M or Oracal, which would have added another $400 - $500 to the cost of materials. I did not find any reviews of the brand, but could not pass up the price for practice.

Everything is supposed to arrive by late next week so I can start immediately.

Once again, tips and advice much appreciated.

Urbanengineer 07-19-2014 07:20 PM

Start on some interior parts to get used to flats. Move to slight curves and then to rough angled 90 degree corners. You will want on practice on things not on the exterior first :)! Good luck. Have patience.

Urbanengineer 07-19-2014 07:21 PM

My experience begins and ends with clear bra wraps, soon not the best.

blnewt 07-19-2014 11:05 PM

If you haven't seen this thread might want to give it a look, OP is pretty good about answering specific questions~
http://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-seda...ilver-m21.html
Good luck w/ this project, this is something on my Gs' bucket list too, someday :dunno:

rollaspeed1 07-20-2014 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 6923553)
If you haven't seen this thread might want to give it a look, OP is pretty good about answering specific questions~
http://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-seda...ilver-m21.html
Good luck w/ this project, this is something on my Gs' bucket list too, someday :dunno:

I read that already. Much good stuff. I've also read your threads, and threads on other forums. Off topic, I now too have Megan coils :)

rollaspeed1 07-20-2014 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 6923488)
Start on some interior parts to get used to flats. Move to slight curves and then to rough angled 90 degree corners. You will want on practice on things not on the exterior first :)! Good luck. Have patience.

I started with wrapping the little silver insert piece on the shift knob yesterday because all I had at the time was a little tiny piece of 3M CF wrap. While its the smallest of parts, it did have a slight edge and is rounded. I went from 0 to 1 on a 1-10 experience level :)

blnewt 07-20-2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by rollaspeed1 (Post 6923660)
I read that already. Much good stuff. I've also read your threads, and threads on other forums. Off topic, I now too have Megan coils :)

Looking forward to your progress w/ this, hopefully it'll go as planned. From the vinyl projects I've done it's often the simplest looking pieces that can be toughest. wrapping my grill was simple but wrapping the mirror covers took me quite a bit longer :(

What color did you end up with?

I've used 3m 94 primer for real sharp pockets that are prone to lifting and it kept the wrap tight, might not hurt to have some on hand if you don't already. Only problem is it makes it tougher to remove later :icon43:

Also might want to find out the safe lifespan to remove that brand vinyl if you haven't already.

Got about 20k miles on my coilovers now and still very happy with them.

rollaspeed1 07-20-2014 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 6923665)
Looking forward to your progress w/ this, hopefully it'll go as planned. From the vinyl projects I've done it's often the simplest looking pieces that can be toughest. wrapping my grill was simple but wrapping the mirror covers took me quite a bit longer :(

What color did you end up with?

I've used 3m 94 primer for real sharp pockets that are prone to lifting and it kept the wrap tight, might not hurt to have some on hand if you don't already. Only problem is it makes it tougher to remove later :icon43:

Also might want to find out the safe lifespan to remove that brand vinyl if you haven't already.

Got about 20k miles on my coilovers now and still very happy with them.

This was my next question actually. I do have 3M primer and edge sealer. When do I use that primer exactly? Because most videos show just a wet install with soapy water underneath to move the sheet around easier, but no primer.....

And I am assuming edge sealer is just q tipped over the edges right before finishing.

My color choice is matte army green with CF hood and maybe trunk and other accents like grille, pillars and trims.

blnewt 07-20-2014 11:01 PM

Might want to ask the OP on that G37 thread how he did his install. Most of the newest vinyl like 3m1080 w/ air release features should be mounted dry AFAIK.
As far as the edge sealer I think tha's about right, just wet the edges prior to wrapping over and then a final heat seal.

PersuAsian 07-22-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by rollaspeed1 (Post 6923668)
This was my next question actually. I do have 3M primer and edge sealer. When do I use that primer exactly? Because most videos show just a wet install with soapy water underneath to move the sheet around easier, but no primer.....

And I am assuming edge sealer is just q tipped over the edges right before finishing.

My color choice is matte army green with CF hood and maybe trunk and other accents like grille, pillars and trims.

I would use the edge sealer on anything that is a problem area. Any hard body lines and in the handle recess, etc. Use the stuff sparingly though. Don't be sloppy with it. I say this only for the removal. The stuff is difficult to clean off, so the less you have to clean the better.

Never used your brand before. We use primarily 3M materials as I work for a 3M certified shop. However, we also use several other products. I would avoid a wet installation, especially if there is air release. I would use a heat gun versus a torch on your material too, as you can flash the vinyl with the torch and make you matte material very glossy. Hopefully it turns out well. I am going to do a matte metallic wrap on my G35X this winter. I haven't decided on a color yet.

rollaspeed1 07-22-2014 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by PersuAsian (Post 6924261)
I would use the edge sealer on anything that is a problem area. Any hard body lines and in the handle recess, etc. Use the stuff sparingly though. Don't be sloppy with it. I say this only for the removal. The stuff is difficult to clean off, so the less you have to clean the better.

Never used your brand before. We use primarily 3M materials as I work for a 3M certified shop. However, we also use several other products. I would avoid a wet installation, especially if there is air release. I would use a heat gun versus a torch on your material too, as you can flash the vinyl with the torch and make you matte material very glossy. Hopefully it turns out well. I am going to do a matte metallic wrap on my G35X this winter. I haven't decided on a color yet.

So when you say avoid wet install, does that mean no primer or RapidTac? That vinyl does have air release...

And when you say use the sealer sparingly in problem areas, do you mean like dabs or spray or what? (specifically in like door handle recesses and such) Also, would I use it along the entire edge at the final point? (like inside doors and between panels)

blnewt 07-23-2014 08:36 AM

When he says avoid a wet install it means no water applied under the vinyl, w/ the air release sheet it's easy to get it placed properly. Also like he mentioned just use when absolutely needed in tough areas to keep tacked. As far as the edge sealing, in areas that you can't get a good heat seal I would use it for sure, in areas where you have good access for a complete heat seal it may not be needed.

PersuAsian 07-23-2014 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 6924484)
When he says avoid a wet install it means no water applied under the vinyl, w/ the air release sheet it's easy to get it placed properly. Also like he mentioned just use when absolutely needed in tough areas to keep tacked. As far as the edge sealing, in areas that you can't get a good heat seal I would use it for sure, in areas where you have good access for a complete heat seal it may not be needed.

Exactly^^^^

I don't install anything wet when it comes to vinyl. Even vinyl without air release. But I have been working with it for 15 years. The only other thing that I would mention about the primer/adhesive promoter is that once you have laid your vinyl over that stuff you should not pull it up. The adhesive from the vinyl will stick to the promoter and leave your vinyl without adhesive in that spot.

Post application heat in trouble areas is something that I always do too. Vinyl has a memory, and it wants to go back to it's original form. If you stretch it into an area, I would give it plenty of radiant heat in order to make sure it gets a firm adhesion, and won't try and come back up.

Post pics whenever you get it done. I like the the matte green. In fact I am pretty sure that I have seen a G wrapped that way already.

rollaspeed1 07-23-2014 09:31 PM

Thank you guys. I'm glad I'm finding this out now, before I start next week. Tracking says vinyl will be here Tuesday. My car will be in a shop that Tuesday, Wednesday, so I should get started by the end of next week. Except CF. I'll be practicing laying that on the hood this weekend. Pics are coming.

blnewt 07-23-2014 11:04 PM

This is a good thread, looking forward to your progress posts and pics.
FWIW I think the only vinyl used for wet installs now would be clear bras and window film
(AFAIK)