G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Question on 60k service and I did search

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question on 60k service and I did search

After deciding I was keeping my G and now hit 73k I took it in to the dealer for a free detail and of course they run through and try to sell you service. They recommended the following;

throttle body cleaning-I know it's easy but seen a few here screw theirs up
brake fluid change
auto tranny fluid change
coolant change
transfer case change
rear differential change
front differential change (X model)
replace coolant pressure cap
replace cabin filter (I already have one and changing this weekend)

They will do all the above for $850 plus tax. I will search the DIY threads and see what seems feasible to do. Are the fluid changes a flush or simple exchange? Are all the above a good idea at 73K. I will also check a local Nissan dealer for price comparison.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I'm assuming they're all drain n fills, but considering most of those services cost about $80-120 each and that radiator cap is about $25 by itself, you're getting a very fair deal.

You could save a bunch of money doing it yourself, but if you're only gonna do like one yourself to save on one service I wouldn't think its worth it personally. Just get em all.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Rinaldi
After deciding I was keeping my G and now hit 73k I took it in to the dealer for a free detail and of course they run through and try to sell you service. They recommended the following;

throttle body cleaning-I know it's easy but seen a few here screw theirs up
brake fluid change
auto tranny fluid change
coolant change
transfer case change
rear differential change
front differential change (X model)
replace coolant pressure cap
replace cabin filter (I already have one and changing this weekend)

They will do all the above for $850 plus tax. I will search the DIY threads and see what seems feasible to do. Are the fluid changes a flush or simple exchange? Are all the above a good idea at 73K. I will also check a local Nissan dealer for price comparison.
Eh, throttle body cleaning I would only do if you're having problems. It's not worth the hassle of trying to relearn idle if it gets messed up.

Brake fluid - I'd change it at the mileage. I did mine at slightly over that and the fluid had light green tint! Ended up having to replace three calipers, but if I did it sooner, I'd probably avoided that. You can DIY for 9 dollars worth of fluid and Motive Powerbleeder and some time. Costs about 70 bucks DIY first time and 10 dollars after.

AT Fluid - You can do yourself, but the fluid is expensive ~10-12 a quart. Ask the dealer if they do a drain and refill or flush the system out (NOT WITH A DEVICE). If they flush it out with the car running it can easily cost you 150 just in fluid. Otherwise you can DIY 3-4 quarts yourself every 50 miles maybe three times.

Coolant change - Their coolant I think is around 25-30 dollars and you can DIY that as well, but removing the air is PITA. I've done it about four times and it takes about two hours to get it all out for good. I still have my original radiator cap and it's going 8 years without issue. I did replace my radiator about 7 months ago though, since it had a lot of messed up fins and small leak.

Rear Diff - Takes about 2 75W-90 and large hex bit. You can DIY this as well, just jack up the rear part of the car, remove the top nut, bottom nut, and drain it. The diff oil is like 15 bucks I think I don't remember. You also want some kind of device to pump it back in. I would highly recommend doing this. The nut is magnetic and you will see all this gunk on it when you take it off. Mine was so disgusting!

Can't say on the transfer or front diff.

Last edited by coffeysm; 08-01-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
AT fluid took me 2 drain and fills to notice a huge difference, and this was at 100k miles.