G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Rear caliper options; Cardone a no go

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear caliper options; Cardone a no go

I ordered parts for my car yesterday (rear calipers, pads and rotors the way round) but received a call saying the cals I ordered (Cardone) were back ordered from the factory so it would be quite awhile until I could get some of them. Sadly I need them by Monday.

Has anyone used parts from Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly, et. al.? AZ is the easiest for me and they have their Duralast brand; not a huge fan but I need to get this done ASAP and will not buy OEM simply for the price. I figure if these crap out I will be at a point where I could just do a swap (if possible) to the fixed calipers from the G37's (again, if possible).

Just curious to see.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Some of the brands sold by the brick and motor retailers are the same as the online dealers. Typically they are all about the same and cheap enough that even if they crap out they are pretty much disposable.

I got mine from Rockauto.com. Pretty sure they are Reybesos and I've had no issues

Old 01-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Not fun needing parts so quick, you can end up with poor quality parts that won't last. Best advice check our Marketplace under vendor brakes. Order quality parts like DBA rotors, HAWK HPS pads and what ever calipers they suggest...have them sent over night to your location.
Gary

Old 01-13-2016, 01:17 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Are yours seized or something? Another option would be to get a rebuild kit and fix your existing calipers. Since I learned how to do that, I've rebuilt my own rather than get remanned units.

My only problem with rebuilt calipers is that whatever cleaning method they use typically removes the factory coating, causing the rebuilt caliper to rust. It's purely superficial, but I'd hit them with some silver caliper paint before installation.

Many remanned units have a pretty good warranty from Advance/Autozone so that can be a plus and give peace of mind.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
My only problem with rebuilt calipers is that whatever cleaning method they use typically removes the factory coating, causing the rebuilt caliper to rust. It's purely superficial, but I'd hit them with some silver caliper paint before installation.
Agreed. When I received mine, I prepped and painted them before install. No coating on them at all

Old 01-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks everyone for the help. I got all my parts in yesterday so this weekend I was going to hit up AZ for the duralast and hope for the best.

And yeah the RR caliper is pretty bad. The rim stays filthy and it's to the point now of 40/50% of the time I stop it's squeaking like crazy. I think everything back there is OEM so I picked up Brembo rotors and Meyle/Brembo pads. Hopefully soon I will get this thing stopping on a dime

Old 01-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Check the caliper pins and dust boots while you're back there. I had a very slightly bent pin that was locking up my rear caliper. Picked up new pins and haven't had a problem since.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.