G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

SES light - code P0455

Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SES light - code P0455

My 2007 g35x SES light came on yesterday and the P0455 code came up with a scan at autozone. It recommended a purge control valve. Does this sound right? I made sure my gas cap was tight already, I just had gotten gas the day before. Any thoughts on trouble shooting this - cap, purge valve, etc.
where is this located - in the rear or by the intake?
TIA

Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Get the code cleared manually, sometimes once it tosses a code for the gas cap being loose (or off...) it takes a while for it to actually clear. If the code comes back again you probably need to troubleshoot the system.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I have an 06x and had this code recently. There is a big long troubleshooting process in the FSM. One version if you have a Consult II machine and one if you don't. It seemed complicated to me. I read a few threads that indicated the most likely cause was the purge valve which is located behind the right rear tire on the vapor collector box. The hardest part for me was getting the access plate open because all the bolts were so rusty. Once I got the access cover open, it's quick and easy to unplug and remove the valve from the box. I tested mine by connecting the electrical pins on the valve to the battery with little jumper wires. The valve solenoid wouldn't actuate normally. So I sprayed a bunch of cleaner and silicone lube through it and it seemed to work. It only worked for about a week then the light went on again. I bought a new one for $40 and that seems to have taken care of it. I don't know if location or access to yours is different than mine but I wouldn't expect the setup to have changed much.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbarnett250
I have an 06x and had this code recently. There is a big long troubleshooting process in the FSM. One version if you have a Consult II machine and one if you don't. It seemed complicated to me. I read a few threads that indicated the most likely cause was the purge valve which is located behind the right rear tire on the vapor collector box. The hardest part for me was getting the access plate open because all the bolts were so rusty. Once I got the access cover open, it's quick and easy to unplug and remove the valve from the box. I tested mine by connecting the electrical pins on the valve to the battery with little jumper wires. The valve solenoid wouldn't actuate normally. So I sprayed a bunch of cleaner and silicone lube through it and it seemed to work. It only worked for about a week then the light went on again. I bought a new one for $40 and that seems to have taken care of it. I don't know if location or access to yours is different than mine but I wouldn't expect the setup to have changed much.
So there is a vent valve and a purge valve... If you read the service manual (page 285 of section EC) p0445 indicates that you need have a problem with the purge valve. "EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve circuit shorted" The valve located on the back of the Evap canister is the Vent Valve not the Purge Valve. According to what I have read the purge valve is located under the hood of the car in close proximity to the engine.
The reason I know this is I have had the same code on for month and I just brought my car into the dealer yesterday to have the gas tank vent tubes checked under the extended warranty that was sent out in the mail. My vent lines were not clogged, but they diagnosed the p0445 issue (for free) and traced it to the Purge valve in the engine. I got a $150 quote for the part. I plan on replacing it soon.

If anyone has a good idea of where this Purge valve is located, please let me/us know.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I wrote the wrong valve name in my comments. The P0455 code the OP mentioned is for a gross evap system leak. I had the same code caused by my failing vent valve. I've never troubleshot a P0445 purge valve problem and don't know where the valve itself is located.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:42 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Purge valve is the one next to the battery, it has a test port right next to it with a tag that says "purge something something". There's a vacuum looking line that plugs into it and then goes to the purge solenoid behind the intake manifold if I remember correctly.

Edit: check the vacuum lines for abrasions, I think the plastic engine cover can actually cut into the vac line from vibration because it touches the line slightly.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.