Differential whine some help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Differential whine some help please

Hello
I have a whine coming from my diff with speed i tried
To but in neutral position while driving to see if that whine will goes or not but it's still there even when breaking i don't know what's wrong please give me a help

Old 11-12-2017, 06:04 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's probably not the diff but rather a wheel bearing but check/change the differential fluid anyways if it's interval is up. Differential fluid is good for 30k miles just like the transmission. To identify exactly WHERE the sound is coming from get the vehicle up on jackstands or a frame rail lift and get the drivetrain up to speed (usually 50mph but wherever it normally makes the noise is fine) while someone stands below with a mechanics stethoscope (and safety glasses...) and probes for the noise, probe the differential cover and somewhere on each of the rear hubs for the loudest overall volume and that's where the worn component is. For safety's sake do this with the rear tires removed if you're only on jackstands and don't place yourself under the propeller shaft AT ALL and do not wear any loose or baggy clothing.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
It's probably not the diff but rather a wheel bearing but check/change the differential fluid anyways if it's interval is up. Differential fluid is good for 30k miles just like the transmission. To identify exactly WHERE the sound is coming from get the vehicle up on jackstands or a frame rail lift and get the drivetrain up to speed (usually 50mph but wherever it normally makes the noise is fine) while someone stands below with a mechanics stethoscope (and safety glasses...) and probes for the noise, probe the differential cover and somewhere on each of the rear hubs for the loudest overall volume and that's where the worn component is. For safety's sake do this with the rear tires removed if you're only on jackstands and don't place yourself under the propeller shaft AT ALL and do not wear any loose or baggy clothing.
Thanks
I have Jacked up the car and did what you said
The sound is from the diff
It's like a wheel bearing sound
I replaced the bearing yesterday
Noting changed still whining😢

Old 11-12-2017, 07:34 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Running any vehicle on jack stands verges on stupidity, you're putting your life in jeopardy...for what? Take your G to Nissan and have them check it out. It's also not a good idea waiting every 30K miles to change trans fluid, especially if you live in the south western states where heat is an issue!
Gary

Old 11-13-2017, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Running any vehicle on jack stands verges on stupidity, you're putting your life in jeopardy...for what? Take your G to Nissan and have them check it out. It's also not a good idea waiting every 30K miles to change trans fluid, especially if you live in the south western states where heat is an issue!
Gary
Thanks for the advice grey

Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's perfectly fine to run your vehicle through gears if it's on 4 jackstands, it's not going to topple over or anything. The only dangerous part is exposed rotating parts. Remove the tires, put the lugs back on with spacers to support the rotor and you're fine. Used to warm cars up for track use this way all the time. Just steer clear of the propeller shaft and spinning hubs.

Obviously if you have access to a lift it makes it that much easier.

Edit: There's a higher chance of a vehicle falling from tugging sized bolts loose than there is from the rotation of the drive assembly. Use the recommended lift points.

Last edited by cleric670; 11-13-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:58 AM
It's perfectly fine to run your vehicle through gears if it's on 4 jackstands, it's not going to topple over or anything. The only dangerous part is exposed rotating parts. Remove the tires, put the lugs back on with spacers to support the rotor and you're fine. Used to warm cars up for track use this way all the time. Just steer clear of the propeller shaft and spinning hubs.

Obviously if you have access to a lift it makes it that much easier.
I didn't on a lift and have 4 of my friends to hear that whine
The all 4 was safe and told me that was the diff
For sure the safety is #1
Thanks

Old 11-13-2017, 12:10 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Having access to a hydraulic lift just makes it faster and easier to get the vehicle up, there is nothing inherently "safer" about either style of lifting a vehicle it all comes down to properly using the tool.

Since you're certain it's the differential I would drain the fluid into a very clean container and drag a magnet through the oil to see how much metal shavings you pull out. I think the diff comes stock with a magnetic drain plug but I'm not 100% sure. A -little- metal shavings is normal if you're nearing the 30k mark for your fluid change interval but I would refill and inspect again in 5k miles, should be no significant shavings.

​​​​​

Old 11-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Having access to a hydraulic lift just makes it faster and easier to get the vehicle up, there is nothing inherently "safer" about either style of lifting a vehicle it all comes down to properly using the tool.

Since you're certain it's the differential I would drain the fluid into a very clean container and drag a magnet through the oil to see how much metal shavings you pull out. I think the diff comes stock with a magnetic drain plug but I'm not 100% sure. A -little- metal shavings is normal if you're nearing the 30k mark for your fluid change interval but I would refill and inspect again in 5k miles, should be no significant shavings.

​​​​​

Good idea i will change the fluid and inspect the old oil with a magnet

Old 11-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Not sure if it's the same noise but I hear a subtle whine when I accelerate. I thought it was just part of the exhaust. Kinda sounds like an electric whine if anyone's ever driven in a prius(I'll bet that name has never been said here before). It doesn't overpower the exhaust or anything, but the noise is there. Been driving it that way since I got the car

Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Not sure if it's the same noise but I hear a subtle whine when I accelerate. I thought it was just part of the exhaust. Kinda sounds like an electric whine if anyone's ever driven in a prius(I'll bet that name has never been said here before). It doesn't overpower the exhaust or anything, but the noise is there. Been driving it that way since I got the car
I hear that sound too 😂 i just ignore it
I think it's coming from the exhaust cats not or a leak near the cats

Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
How long has it been since you changed out your power steering fluid? If the PS system has an issue it will make a very similar noise that will increase/change as the RPM's go up. Worth a look.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.