G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

ICC sensor replacement....sigh. 2007 G35S sedan

Old 05-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICC sensor replacement....sigh. 2007 G35S sedan

Well guys I have a problem... A few months back, driving on the interstate a fist sized metal hook kicked up from the road, and caught me right in the sensor. I drove the car fine for a few months, of course adaptive cruise didn't work, but everything else was just fine. Finished up a contract on a show I was working, and had some time. Decided to make an insurance claim. Initial repair was approved, supplemental claim pushed me over the total loss threshold. After fighting with my insurance company, they overturned the total loss decision..Yay. A big part of that overturn was that the body shop had priced the automatic version part 28437-JK30B instead of the 6-speed version 28437-JK60B. The price difference was enough to bring me back under the threshold. Yay, everything is great.... until repairs started.

Body Shop can't find the part. Even though it showed up on various online parts dealers sites as being able to order, we are finding out the systems were tied into Infinit USA's system, and well it hadn't been updated and is now obsolete. Ebay has been suggested. Looking on ebay I've found a couple of sensors, but they use Hitachi part number 28437 1NA8A. What I'm wondering is, if anyone is familiar with this part, and if the difference in the part numbers is due to the different mounting hardware, and if the core sensor module is the same. If so, I'd imaging the mounting hardware might be able to be rehabed or fabricated, and the sensor module itself be transferred.

Also, as a last resort, if it is possible for everything else (of course adaptive cruise control won't) to function normally without it. Or if anyone may know of a source that I could possibly pick up a salvage one.

Thanks

Rob

Attached Thumbnails ICC sensor replacement....sigh. 2007 G35S sedan-g35sfront.jpg  
Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy have I learned a lot about this part. You are correct, the original part 28437 JK600, was replaced/ superseded by JK60B in the recall. These were the parts for the 6 speed. JK30B was for the automatic. Then in 2008 the became 1NA8A and 1NA6A (automatic/ manual). This part was shared with other Infiniti's, and continued in the 37's, I believe. Infiniti USA gives a part number, price, and links to dealers in the area. Online the dealers, list prices... I even physically went to one to price the part, they gave me a printed quote, which is what I used to prove the body shop had the wrong part number on the quote, and the price difference put me under the total loss threshold. However, when it came time to order the part, was when we found out it was now obsolete. There is not a dealer in the country with one in stock. I gave approval for them to use a salvage part, and the nationwide search began... Luckily I found one, (will find out if it's correct, and works when it arrives to the shop Monday. But hey, I'll get my G back, and won't have to get a salvage title, since I was able to get the total loss overturned.

Side note for all you other 6-speed G sedan owners. If you find yourself in the same situation I am in, and have to fight as to whether or not it's a total loss, or even if your car is obviously totalled. Ask your insurance for a copy of the valuation. Especially if your insurer uses the third party company CCC One. Not only did they drop many of the features from my car (which they listed in an earlier section of the report) when comparing to other G's for sale. They also used automatics for their price comparison, which NADA guides show is over a $1000 difference in the 6MT's favor. Also they run a comparison of 4 other cars for sale in your area. 2 were close to my mileage (I only have 120K on my 2007) and were valued around 8K, the other 2 had 60K more miles, and were asking below 6K, skewing the average down to 7K. When I ran a national search values on 6 speed sedans (based on sale price) the average was closer to 10K. The adjuster I spoke to, said I wasn't the first person to complain about CCC One's valuation (especially when I mentioned the class action suit against them for this thing), but of course the bean counters, and higher ups, love getting lower valuations, and such the contract remains. Call them on it (have some evidence of the differences), and they'll go back and revalue your car.

Last edited by robacox; 06-01-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo