G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

it was time for me to test drive the all new

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it was time for me to test drive the all new

my buddy calls me b/c his lease on his m3 is about to run up so he has been has been looking for another car. he can't get no new m3 sincew it wont be out from some time and the price is not a go for him any more, so now he needs to move onto some thing cheaper. he has been looking at the cayman-s (not really cheaper), the audi tt, 335i and today he called me to go look at the g37.

his local dealer ship refused to even let him see it so i had told him that my brother test drove the car last night at my local dealership. he came to pick me up and off we went in persuit of the test drive.
we got there adn there was a graphiteg37. fully loaded automatic with black interior.

i dont like the rear end but every thing else seemed fine. people kept telling me that ones you see it in person ur mind will change. well my mind did not change about the rear end. every thing else was about the same. i liked the front end, the 19" wheels. the navi. i especially like the rear view camera. some thing small but cool to have.

my buddy drove it fisrt since he wants the car and the car felt good. it moved nice, shifts were extremly pleasant how ever the car did feel faster in full automatic mode. he got the car up to about 75mph. great what so ever for the car. so we pull back into the dealer ship and i was like **** it snce i am alllready here i wanna drive it.

so the guy lets me drive it and i liked it. imprssed by the smoothness and the way the car took turns. i mean for a sport luxury car it did jut what i expected. i got it up to about 85mph and took some nice wide turns verry easily.

all in all the car is great, just not sold on the rear end. my brother (owns a 03 g35) was the same as me. did not really like the looks but the powers was there and the interior was nice.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:50 AM
I kind of wasn't feeling the taillight cluster the first time i saw it but after seeing it again it grew on me. The thing to fix this is to smoke out the rear lights especially if your getting black it will make a big difference.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess you don't like the rear end.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I hear ya...I can't get over the looks, the rims, etc...so far either...I loved my 03.5 Sedan, but I really love the new Sedan...and I cannot even compare the looks of the G37 to my current 05 Coupe...from the rims to that spoiler to the front end, etc...the interiors may be far better, but they new G37s are heavier, smaller in the trunk, smaller in the rear seat, and no faster...I don't care what Sport Z says, but only C&D has gotten a 13.9 from what I have read and every one else is running low 14s at 101-102 which, while trapping faster, is not getting there any quicker...

Old 08-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by bosssho
I hear ya...I can't get over the looks, the rims, etc...so far either...I loved my 03.5 Sedan, but I really love the new Sedan...and I cannot even compare the looks of the G37 to my current 05 Coupe...from the rims to that spoiler to the front end, etc...the interiors may be far better, but they new G37s are heavier, smaller in the trunk, smaller in the rear seat, and no faster...I don't care what Sport Z says, but only C&D has gotten a 13.9 from what I have read and every one else is running low 14s at 101-102 which, while trapping faster, is not getting there any quicker...

I hate reading posts like these...Are most of your races from a stoplight? If they aren't, then the 37 is a good amount quicker. The high horsepower and low torque setup will not mark a difference on launch. The advantages will be once the car gets going. For the most part, the car is meant to be quick around the turns. Hence, the reasoning for being able to rev it out and still produce power up high.

But "NO FASTER?", come on, you really need to give that a rest. Looks are subjective, but the power is there. That is not something you should really ever have a sound argument with. I'm sorry, but I hate magazine racers.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
also remember these preview cars are not broken in yet

Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 AM
a few people say they dont like the new look of the G37 because there so use to the one that looks identical to the 350z. But like the saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wasnt really feeling the car looks on pictures because it didnt show how the front fender flowed with the car. But after seeing it in person I ordered one right on the spot. And most people on these forum are so use to seeing fixed up G35 copues. Fix the new G37 up and it would look a whole lot better than the current coupe. Now I own a g35 coupe how can anyone say the G37 its not faster than the G35 coupe. I test drove the new G it seems more than slight quicker probably about a second faster from 0-60. I bet you most people who say the new car is not faster are to heavy are just reading with other people put on there forum and haven't even test drove it yet.

Last edited by RoCkY86; 08-11-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:36 AM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoCkY86
a few people say they dont like the new look of the G37 because there so use to the one that looks identical to the 350z. But like the saying goes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wasnt really feeling the car looks on pictures because it didnt show how the front fender flowed with the car. But after seeing it in person I ordered one right on the spot. And most people on these forum are so use to seeing fixed up G35 copues. Fix the new G37 up and it would look a whole lot better than the current coupe. Now I own a g35 coupe how can anyone say the G37 its not faster than the G35 coupe. I test drove the new G it seems more than slight quicker probably about a second faster from 0-60. I bet you most people who say the new car is not faster are to heavy are just reading with other people put on there forum and haven't even test drove it yet.
Without getting into a pissing contest over 0-60 times...I believe your statement here is a bit of an exaggeration. In fact, it may only be .3-.4 tenths faster, if that. The 200 lbs weight gain and only 270 lb-ft of torque do not help.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:34 AM
No I compared it to mine. And yes it does seem that much faster i didnt say it really is. But it felt that way. Plus 0-60 who really cares its my observation when I hit the 60 mark.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Initial G
I hate reading posts like these...Are most of your races from a stoplight? If they aren't, then the 37 is a good amount quicker. The high horsepower and low torque setup will not mark a difference on launch. The advantages will be once the car gets going. For the most part, the car is meant to be quick around the turns. Hence, the reasoning for being able to rev it out and still produce power up high.

But "NO FASTER?", come on, you really need to give that a rest. Looks are subjective, but the power is there. That is not something you should really ever have a sound argument with. I'm sorry, but I hate magazine racers.
your right the car def felt faster when allready rolling. the car was able to take turns quit nicely with a good amnt of speed in the paddle left. i feel that also b/c the car has not been borken in nicely but just every one has been beating on it since day one.

it no m3 quick but it does pack a nice amnt for a daily driver.

i am sure that after a while we all will get use to the looks or at least most of us. the car does look sexy from the side. like the front and so far still hate the rear. soon people will sump endless amnts of $$$$ in them and all will be forgotten

Old 08-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Initial G

Listen, while I understand having the car means you like it and obviously want to defend it, and obviously want it to be better than its predecessor, I think you need to step back and re-read what I wrote.

While, to be fair, I have not looked into 30-50 mph and 50-70 mph differnces b/t the G35 C and G37 C, I am 100% talking about racing at the track, which if you look into my sig and at lot of my posts over the years, you will see that is where I am talking about. 0-60 is also very important b/c it's where most impromptu races happen that don't get anyone arrested or in trouble...and the Drag Strip is where you can let it all hang out. Yeah, on the highway you should pull a stock G35 Coupe, but you won't be pulling my Coupe unless you do some mods.

As for going around corners faster, again, not faster than mine with the older lighter rims and Stillen Sway Bars...but yes, better than a stock G35 Coupe I am sure...but unless you are road racing or going game 7 on Highway on and off ramps...I don't see much of a reason to cheer here. The new BMW, while costing more, is a C-hair slower than the old M3 and far faster than the G37 through about 130 where I think the G37s higher HP takes over...but how many times to you get to experience that type of scenario...that is where I am coming from.

Yes, as far as the looks go...they are subjective...and the car probably will grow on me...but, as I said, compared to the new Sedan, which I owned an older one...I love the new sedan from every angle...and I would have loved to have said the same thing about the new coupe...

Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Listen, while I understand having the car means you like it and obviously want to defend it, and obviously want it to be better than its predecessor, I think you need to step back and re-read what I wrote.

While, to be fair, I have not looked into 30-50 mph and 50-70 mph differnces b/t the G35 C and G37 C, I am 100% talking about racing at the track, which if you look into my sig and at lot of my posts over the years, you will see that is where I am talking about. 0-60 is also very important b/c it's where most impromptu races happen that don't get anyone arrested or in trouble...and the Drag Strip is where you can let it all hang out. Yeah, on the highway you should pull a stock G35 Coupe, but you won't be pulling my Coupe unless you do some mods.

As for going around corners faster, again, not faster than mine with the older lighter rims and Stillen Sway Bars...but yes, better than a stock G35 Coupe I am sure...but unless you are road racing or going game 7 on Highway on and off ramps...I don't see much of a reason to cheer here. The new BMW, while costing more, is a C-hair slower than the old M3 and far faster than the G37 through about 130 where I think the G37s higher HP takes over...but how many times to you get to experience that type of scenario...that is where I am coming from.

Yes, as far as the looks go...they are subjective...and the car probably will grow on me...but, as I said, compared to the new Sedan, which I owned an older one...I love the new sedan from every angle...and I would have loved to have said the same thing about the new coupe...
So after reading all that, what exactly is your point about comparing a stock car vs. a modded car? The only thing I got was that you like bragging about your car, which isn't a bad thing, I'm sure it's awesome. But really, comparing your car vs. a stock G37 demonstrates nothing. Put those same/equivalent mods on the G37 and then compare. For now let's try and stick to comparisons where we have some sort of established baseline, stock vs. stock.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Orbie
So after reading all that, what exactly is your point about comparing a stock car vs. a modded car? The only thing I got was that you like bragging about your car, which isn't a bad thing, I'm sure it's awesome. But really, comparing your car vs. a stock G37 demonstrates nothing. Put those same/equivalent mods on the G37 and then compare. For now let's try and stick to comparisons where we have some sort of established baseline, stock vs. stock.
Dude...Re-read my initial post...it says what is 100% TRUE...the new G37, in 0-60 and 1/4 mi times, DOES NOT live up to expectations. PERIOD.

I know all VQ engines come alive at 8-12K on the odometer, but Magazine to Magazine, if you compare 03-07 G35 Sedan and Coupe Times, the the new G37 is not what the new BMW 335i is to the old BMW 330i...end of story, and that included nothing about my car...

Old 08-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Some people just take performance numbers a little too seriously for their own good...

Old 08-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Dude...Re-read my initial post...it says what is 100% TRUE...the new G37, in 0-60 and 1/4 mi times, DOES NOT live up to expectations. PERIOD.

I know all VQ engines come alive at 8-12K on the odometer, but Magazine to Magazine, if you compare 03-07 G35 Sedan and Coupe Times, the the new G37 is not what the new BMW 335i is to the old BMW 330i...end of story, and that included nothing about my car...
Ok I'm confused then, my post was in response to your post which I quoted in mine. Go back and re-read that, in several places you compare your modded car to a stock G37...that is what I was responding to.

If you're referring to your debate with InitialG, then who's expectations are you saying it doesn't live up to? your's? Do you work for Infiniti and know what their targets were? is it stated specifically anywhere in official documentation that the G37 is supposed to be to the G35 as the 335 is to the 330?

I respect your opinion and to be honest it didn't live up to MY expectations either, but let's be realistic here there are more expectations in this world than just your's or mine. Truth is (talking about magazine #'s) the fastest auto times for the G37 are as fast or faster than any G35C 6MT times stock for stock I have seen. That means the slowest G37 is as fast or faster than the fastest G35C stock times, that's a pretty good metric to me. Edmunds posts 13.8 @102 for it's G37 6MT stock which is right up there with your modded car, put some mods on that car and I'm sure you can improve on that as well.

Last edited by Orbie; 08-12-2007 at 09:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: it was time for me to test drive the all new