G37 Coupe V36 2008+ Discussion about the G37 Coupe

Code p0720 please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 convertible
Code p0720 please help

Hello: I have a 2010 g37 convertible and check engine is on with code p0720 (output speed sensor circuit or revolution sensor) and code u0101 (lost comunication with the tcm).
I see many videos, different models that the sensor was replaced and problem solve but the problem is that i don't see videos for the infiniti to fix it by myself and i don’t see the sensor either in the car,maybe because is inside the transmission,the deal is that i called infinit dealer and told me that with the sensor only problem don’t fix,i have to replace all the valve body module,solenoids,sensor,oil,etc to fix it and cost me aprox $2,500.00 dollars,please i need an advice or various opinions of people fix the car by their own or take it to other technitian that is not infiniti because 95% take infiniti cars to infiniti dealers to fix it or buy new one.
i know that infiniti technicians in dealers work by hour and commissions and i think i don't need to buy all this things,only the sensor but i first have to take off the sensor and prove it’s damage to buy a new one and fix it.
so waiting for you answers and i hope not to be wrong

Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Salesmen work on commision, service does not.

Yes the sensor is internal in the transmission, it's not really a difficult one to replace. Remove the exhaust, the propeller shaft, the oil pan, now you can see the wire so use a couple blocks of wood on the transmission where the pan was to support the tranny but leave enough room for you to still be able to unplug and re-route that wire. Next once the transmission is supported by a jack remove the crossmember, the tailshaft housing. Now there is a single sensor on the output shaft, it looks similar to the cam/crank sensors on the engine (it's just another phase sensor but for the transmission) held down with a single 10mm bolt. Unbolt it, pay attention to how that wire is routed back along the valve body so you get it back EXACTLY like it was.

Only use a new OEM Genuine Nissan sensor, don't even risk buying anything else because this job takes a while to complete and you don't want to be doing it again in a year.

It's probably just the sensor that went out, but you're having the communications error as well which MIGHT be a failed TCM.

If they're only going to charge you $2500 for those components including installation then that's a hell of a deal. Those RE7R01A transmission aren't exactly cheap to work on.

The only way to "prove" the sensor is not working is to monitor it real-time with an oscilloscope. I have no idea how you would do that with a sensor mounted inside the transmission.

I'd say just pay the man and get your vehicle working again, wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion and price quote from a local reputable transmission shop. The Nissan FSM literally states that with an output shaft code and ANY OTHER transmission codes to just replace the entire transmission. Mostly to guarantee the problem is fixed the first time so the customer isn't making repeat visits for the same code. A local reputable transmission shop will usually give you the option to replace only the worn components which is this case is almost certainly the sensor and POSSIBLY the TCM.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:51 PM
G37 convertible
I found a local transmission mechanic to change the sensor first ,there's a way to verify the sensor and is with a multimeter, I hope with that fix because I do not have so much money to invest more in it, that car I just bought it in the street and they ripped me off, I'll fix it this time because I like it but if it keeps giving me problems I'll have to leave it,which me luck and thanks for the advice

Old 03-24-2019, 01:54 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
No you cannot VERIFY it's working with a multimeter, it's a phase sensor and requires the use of an oscilloscope. Many times those phase sensors will ring out with a DMM but end up dropping frequency when they're actually running and thus the computer doesn't recognize the signal.

There's a really good chance it's just a bad sensor though which is good for you.

Good luck.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:45 PM
G37 convertible
Works nice only changing the sensor

I take it to the transmission mechanic, replace only the sensor, also take transmission plug out,check and clean all the area, then put back in and it works, only cost me 300.00 and in Infiniti dealer charge me 2,200 to 2,500, thanks God what a relief