G37 V36 Sedan 2009 + Discussion about the G37 Sedan

Questions about G37

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Questions about G37

I have a 2006 G35 Sedan (automatic) that I really enjoy driving. But it is getting up there in miles, so I have been planning to trade it in for a newer model G37 Sedan for a while now.

I took a 2010 G37 base Sedan (automatic) for a test drive tonight and I was very disappointed. The car felt huge and the acceleration felt laggy compared to my G35. It had PLENTY of power when it did kick in, but it felt like it took 1-2 seconds for that power to kick in (probably much less time than that in reality, but it just felt that way). Also, the steering felt looser than with my G35. All in all, I just felt a lot less "connected" with the road in the G37.

This has left me very confused. The G37 has more HP, better gas mileage, and a ton of glowing reviews. I expected to enjoy the newer G37 as much as my G35, if not more. Yet driving it left me feeling really disappointed.

Is this the path that Infiniti chose to take with the G37 Sedan (i.e. more luxury, less sporty)? Are the older G37s more sporty, or do all G37 years drive pretty much the same? Should I be looking for a "Sport" version of the G37 instead of just a base version?

I would really appreciate some help from people who understand how the various G Sedans drive. Otherwise, I might find myself trading in my G35 for a new Mustang.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Try driving a 6MT and see if you still feel that way.

If it has to be an automatic, then at least drive a Sport model, and be sure to drive it in DS or with the paddle shifters.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:05 PM
I just wanted to post some comments in case anyone else is in the same boat as I was.

I was able to test drive several different G37s, including a Sport model. In the end, I wasn't impressed with any of them. I didn't really care for the proportional power steering. The throttle response felt very non-linear to me (push too little and it barely moves, push too much and it takes off like a monster). All of the cars felt big and heavy to me rather than agile and sporty.

I have decided to look into other brands (BMW, Audi, etc.) to try to find a car that feels just as sporty as my existing G35.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
I heard the same things about the g37 coupes.. They don't feel as tight and connected to the road as the 35..

Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
why not wait another year to see how to new G sedans would perform?

I think the G37's are nicer and better than our old G35.. but i am not sure if it's worth the upgrade..

Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I honestly felt the same way about it once I test drove a 09g37s...it felt like it wasnt connected to the road...but I took the plunge on a 11g37x and I'm really loving the ride...I guess one test drive wouldn't give you the experience your looking for because its only 30-45 min test drive...

Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got a new 2012 G37 Sport idk what you guys are talking about but this thing hauls @ss. This thing pulls pretty hard and it even past 5k rpm not like the old G35. I still haven't pushed it hard cus I'm still in the break in period, but so far I like better than the old ones. It rides stiffer than the old G's the front brakes looks really massive compared to the Brembo. The interior looks somewhat different specially the front seat of the car I like the seats on the sport cus it hugs better and the controls are not pushing against your thigh anymore. It drives tight I feel the car responds better in quick lane changes. Well that's my 2 cents on the matter good luck with your choice of replacement.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Folks, I see a lot of comments posted here about the G37 without proper clarification as to whether they are referring to the sedan or the coupe; likewise, any comparative references to the "G35" can be ambiguous as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sedan

Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had a loaner g37x sedan for the last couple of days and I feel the same way as the OP. Although I can notice the power difference, it just doesn't seem as peppy unless I really stomp on the pedal. It could be the computer not learning my driving habits. The car also feels very unstable at higher speeds. I can't wait to get my 06 sedan back.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I traded a 2005 G35x for a 2012 G37. When I first drove the G37 (loaner a while ago) I thought it was a massive let down - it felt big and the engine seemed a bit rough and I didn't see the point. I later went to a dealer and took a test drive. The salesman was young and up for it so I basically hammered the car around the local roads. And when I say hammered I really mean hammered.

If you care about driving dynamics do the same thing and let us know. You might be surprised.

Is the 37 a game-changing improvement on the 35. No. Its a little faster, a little tighter, a little more polished, a little more luxurious. Good things - they didn't ruin what they had.

Try not to get a ticket and do warn the salesman (hi Jon).

Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Caracicatriz
I've had a loaner g37x sedan for the last couple of days and I feel the same way as the OP. Although I can notice the power difference, it just doesn't seem as peppy unless I really stomp on the pedal. It could be the computer not learning my driving habits. The car also feels very unstable at higher speeds. I can't wait to get my 06 sedan back.
I am currently in a '12 G37 (non sport) and agree. It's faster, but the auto kickdown takes a second or two (feels that way at least) and I couldn't see the car being twice what I pay now. I'd rather have a bunch of mods - cash in bank- or a motorcycle for the same monthly.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Felt the same way the 1st time i drove a g37x while mine was getting worked on at the dealer. I loved my 2 g35x's and my o6 lakeshore slate g35 6spd sedan but none of them even with full cat backs, pulleys, intakes, spacers or plenums could keep up with my stock o9 g37xS. They are a little bigger but the tq comes on at lower rpms and and they rev to 7500rpm so keeping them in the power and more of it is much easier. Not to mention they're all capable of running a quicker 1/4 mile times. But if you like the 35's more I suggest you keep one because it is a little easier to control when they get loose and my 35's all got better mpg. They're also a little easier to work on and less expensive to modify. Making me miss my 35=)

Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm getting work done to my 06 g35x and they gave me a 2011 g37x. Inside it looks a lot better than the g35. I instantly noticed the gas pedal isn't as touchy as the 35. As far as power its a big difference, floor it and this car takes off quickly. Now my girl hates driving my car due to how touchy the brakes and gas pedals are and she says the g37 is easier to drive. I would agree. Overall its an amazing car.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shaner25
I have a 2006 G35 Sedan (automatic) that I really enjoy driving. But it is getting up there in miles, so I have been planning to trade it in for a newer model G37 Sedan for a while now.

I took a 2010 G37 base Sedan (automatic) for a test drive tonight and I was very disappointed. The car felt huge and the acceleration felt laggy compared to my G35. It had PLENTY of power when it did kick in, but it felt like it took 1-2 seconds for that power to kick in (probably much less time than that in reality, but it just felt that way). Also, the steering felt looser than with my G35. All in all, I just felt a lot less "connected" with the road in the G37.

This has left me very confused. The G37 has more HP, better gas mileage, and a ton of glowing reviews. I expected to enjoy the newer G37 as much as my G35, if not more. Yet driving it left me feeling really disappointed.

Is this the path that Infiniti chose to take with the G37 Sedan (i.e. more luxury, less sporty)? Are the older G37s more sporty, or do all G37 years drive pretty much the same? Should I be looking for a "Sport" version of the G37 instead of just a base version?

You will pay less for a Mustang GT and get more performance.

I would really appreciate some help from people who understand how the various G Sedans drive. Otherwise, I might find myself trading in my G35 for a new Mustang.
I totaled my 03 G35 6MT in 09 and bought a 09 G37 S sedan 6MT. The Akebonos suck compared to the Brembos, the clutch travel is LONG, the steering and suspension is loose and sloppy. The power and better fuel economy is there but I'm not very happy with this car and wish there was one in stock to drive before I bought it. (The car was 4 states away and 6MT were hard to find.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions about G37