General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Possible DIY tranny flush?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Possible DIY tranny flush?

All,
I just helped my friend flush his mazda3 5 speed auto tranny last night doing the following procedure.

1. Drain the tranny fluid in the pan (car off)
2. Replace drain plug and refill with new fluid (car off)
3. Attach 3/8" plastic tubing and clamp to tranny cooler oulet and place other end of tubing in a bucket that has been marked with levels for 1-10 quarts.
4. Start the car in park. (old fluided started being pumped out) We tried refilling with new fluid while it was pumping it out, but it pumped it out too fast, so at each quart increment we turned off the car and refilled to where we thought full would be.
5. Towards the end we would run the car in reverse and drive ( the parking brake was on and the car was on ramps) and older looking fluid would come out when in those gears.
6. Once we got 8 quarts out,( that's how much the mazda holds), we noticed that the fluid in the tubing was bright red so we replaced the tranny cooler oulet hose back to the transmission and buttoned everything back up.
7. With the car off the ramps we let the car idle in park and checked the level (we added a little).
8. We then drove around for about 15 minutes in city driving conditions
9. We then checked the fluid level again while it was idling.

In terms of hardness, this was no harder than a oil change. He wanted to flush it because he had never done anything to the factory fluid until now (55,000 miles).

Would this technique work on a g35 auto transmission? Anyone done something similar? I have read that some just do a drain and fill, but I haven't done anything to my transmission, except for checking the level, and I have almost 40k miles on my 06 sedan. I wonder if this is overkill and if I should just drain and fill.

Last edited by miltoda; 08-16-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check the service manual.

not sure about the AT's but MT is no different than changing the
diff fluid.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by miltoda
All,
I just helped my friend flush his mazda3 5 speed auto tranny last night doing the following procedure.

1. Drain the tranny fluid in the pan (car off)
2. Replace drain plug and refill with new fluid (car off)
3. Attach 3/8" plastic tubing and clamp to tranny cooler oulet and place other end of tubing in a bucket that has been marked with levels for 1-10 quarts.
4. Start the car in park. (old fluided started being pumped out) We tried refilling with new fluid while it was pumping it out, but it pumped it out too fast, so at each quart increment we turned off the car and refilled to where we thought full would be.
5. Towards the end we would run the car in reverse and drive ( the parking brake was on and the car was on ramps) and older looking fluid would come out when in those gears.
6. Once we got 8 quarts out,( that's how much the mazda holds), we noticed that the fluid in the tubing was bright red so we replaced the tranny cooler oulet hose back to the transmission and buttoned everything back up.
7. With the car off the ramps we let the car idle in park and checked the level (we added a little).
8. We then drove around for about 15 minutes in city driving conditions
9. We then checked the fluid level again while it was idling.

In terms of hardness, this was no harder than a oil change. He wanted to flush it because he had never done anything to the factory fluid until now (55,000 miles).

Would this technique work on a g35 auto transmission? Anyone done something similar? I have read that some just do a drain and fill, but I haven't done anything to my transmission, except for checking the level, and I have almost 40k miles on my 06 sedan. I wonder if this is overkill and if I should just drain and fill.
erdog & I did a similar flush on his G35. Next weekend we'll be installing a magnefine in-line transmission filter also, and I'll make a DIY video for that.