General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Oil Change..regular and synthetic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change..regular and synthetic

OK...so I got my G35 04 sedan a few months ago...Love my baby!

I changed the oil myself not too long ago and its time for me to change it again...here's my dilemma

When I changed it I changed to regular and then noticed that the sticker that the dealer had placed on the windshield had an S on it so Im guessing that Synthetic was used prior. Is it safe to go back to Synthetic at this point...car has 70,000 miles btw..

thank you for all your support in advanced!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, just go back to Synthetic.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Thank you! I was thinking of going back to it...

Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
you can switch at when ever. it does not matter. people say that if you ran conventinal for over 100k then the carbon deposits or what not is helping keep the seales good. and switching to higher detergent oil aka synthetic can cause some issues

Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Stick with synthetic !

Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks everyone! you guys are awesome...Synthetic it is this weekend

Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
you can switch at when ever. it does not matter. people say that if you ran conventinal for over 100k then the carbon deposits or what not is helping keep the seales good. and switching to higher detergent oil aka synthetic can cause some issues
people do say that, but its completely UNTRUE.

dino oil or syn oil , you can always switch them up. even tho they dont state it, i think most companies are doing synblend.(cheaper) They dont wanna advertise it because some people want to stay with the older dino/regular oil.

if you doing 3k intervals just use regular oil.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My service maintenance package recently ended for my G so I now have to do oil changes...

My car is an 06 Coupe with 92k miles (although I got new block at around 50k because of oil consumption)...

It's been getting regular oil from the dealer (which oil is it by the way).

Also should I go with synthetic instead? Would you guys recommend Royal Purple? or another brand?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:10 PM
why you buy royal purple, your paying least $3 more for the name. None of the studies have shown them to be ANY better then the other TOP guys out there but their price is HIGHER.

if you want syntheic stuff, Amsoil, Redline, Penzoil Plat/ Ultra, Mobil 1 E.P. are all very good and considered the better branded oil in terms of protection, additives and detergents. For me i get whats on sale at the time because i feel they are all the same.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
why you buy royal purple, your paying least $3 more for the name. None of the studies have shown them to be ANY better then the other TOP guys out there but their price is HIGHER.

if you want syntheic stuff, Amsoil, Redline, Penzoil Plat/ Ultra, Mobil 1 E.P. are all very good and considered the better branded oil in terms of protection, additives and detergents. For me i get whats on sale at the time because i feel they are all the same.
RP is bad for the VQ anyway. Stick with Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Motul

Old 11-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
m1 sucks m1 ep is good.

castrol oils produce great uoa's

PP is also great.

I don't see a point for amsoil its more expensive for nothing ground breaking.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Been using Pennzoil Ultra since it first came out this year and been loving it. Price dropped from $35 to $28 so it's even better. Pair it up with Mobil 1 oil filter and you're good to go. Maybe over kill, but I like knowing I'm getting the best protection since I drive A LOT.

Anyways, as long as you change your oil at reasonable times it's really all the same crap. I just like the idea of Pennzoil cleaning your motor for sludge should you have some. Plus for the same price as others (if not a bit more by a couple of dollars why not?).

Old 11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by petro2342
Been using Pennzoil Ultra since it first came out this year and been loving it. Price dropped from $35 to $28 so it's even better. Pair it up with Mobil 1 oil filter and you're good to go. Maybe over kill, but I like knowing I'm getting the best protection since I drive A LOT.

Anyways, as long as you change your oil at reasonable times it's really all the same crap. I just like the idea of Pennzoil cleaning your motor for sludge should you have some. Plus for the same price as others (if not a bit more by a couple of dollars why not?).
many people found ultra to be a waste of the money compared to Platinum. Price difference at my wal-mart is a mere 2.50$ per 5qt jug. But UOA's show almost no difference even tho the formula is SLIGHTLY different. I assume this is kinda like normal 350z VS a nismo 350z, 3hp couple of body kit stuff and $10k more.

But there are plenty that love the ultra, its just more people use Penzoil plat and pocket the $2-3 bucks. Pending on your OCI your mobil 1 filter might not be overkill. If you doing 3k-5k oil changes with ultra and mobil 1 filter then most people would say your wasting money as you should easily be able to make it 7500 miles. I got the go ahead to run 6k on castrol GTX with a pureone filter from blackstone, the wear on my oil at 4200 was great. But i'm staying in 5500 miles.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I understand completely what you're saying and I do agree. However it just makes me feel better by using the combo I have and it doesn't get as dark as quick as Mobil 1 (not that it really means anything besides it's doing its job). I'm not going to cry about a couple of dollars here and there either. I drive a lot and change my oil probably every month an a half so I know it'll be clean. FYI, I change mine between 3,750 - 4,500 depending when it lands on the weekend.

Maybe for the heck of it I'll send my oil in to see when is the recommended time I should change it.

Does anyone here find it strange that time to time you consume oil? Like I would maybe go through a quarter of a quart and other times it would be the same as the first day I changed the oil? I checked my oil last week and it was on the half mark like the day I changed the oil 3,500 miles ago. Maybe it depends on the driving too. Anyways I'm not too worried. I believe my VQ is really healthy.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canadian
RP is bad for the VQ anyway. Stick with Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Motul
I got my car recently and changed the oil using Royal Purple because we get an insanely great deal here at Auto Meter products on that oil. What affect has it done to my VQ? Why is it bad for it? Can you please explain this. The previous owner used Mobil 1 I am changing it this weekend and will be using the same. Thanks in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Change..regular and synthetic