General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Clutch bleed clear tubing size

Old 09-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Clutch bleed clear tubing size

Hey guys, I was wondering what the tubing size is that you use to bleed the clutch slave cylinder. It is not listed in any of the videos or in the FSM. The only thing that I've got so far is that it's close to 1/8" so that could mean that I need quarter inch OD. The reason that I want to know is because I'm trying to piece together a power bleeder today before I leave work so that I have no issues this weekend. Planning to bleed from the slave up using about 5 psi.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
Hey guys, I was wondering what the tubing size is that you use to bleed the clutch slave cylinder. It is not listed in any of the videos or in the FSM. The only thing that I've got so far is that it's close to 1/8" so that could mean that I need quarter inch OD. The reason that I want to know is because I'm trying to piece together a power bleeder today before I leave work so that I have no issues this weekend. Planning to bleed from the slave up using about 5 psi.
Ended up making it so that I can switch out 1/4 od and 1/8 od tubing... Wish me luck... Pic later if someone wants to see this contraption

In the end I used 1/4OD clear tubing like you see on automated industrial equipment. Very common.

Last edited by yosip1115; 09-09-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
fsm states not to use a power bleeder

Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by saywat?
fsm states not to use a power bleeder
Ended up getting it. Not sure if any of the methods I tried were necessary. A lot of others posted about how you will never get it bled without trying vacuum or positive pressure of some sort. So I sided on the safe side and prepared accordingly. I think what helped most was pulling the clutch pedal away and flexing the fire wall a bit to get more travel out of the MS.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:06 PM
naw thats bullshit. ive bled mines a few times in the past successfully and just did the clutch slave. the trick is to pump the pedal quickly (it says it in the fsm). and they mean it literally. when i first bled it i pumped it 5 times steadily but i wasnt doing it quickly enough.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
naw thats bullshit. ive bled mines a few times in the past successfully and just did the clutch slave. the trick is to pump the pedal quickly (it says it in the fsm). and they mean it literally. when i first bled it i pumped it 5 times steadily but i wasnt doing it quickly enough.
Have you ever tried it with a new MS, new line, and new SS? That is why I was worried... 100% dry. When I cracked the bleeder nothing came out, left it for a whole week to see and the reservoir was still full.

I had a lot going through my head from reading horror stories. Wasn't sure if I was air locked or what, bad master, fork adjusted wrong, many things. Turned out to be that I wasn't pulling back hard enough during the quick pumps. I needed to flex the wall to get things moving.

I'm surprised the clear tube size wasn't documented in the manual because you're supposed to use one to get the fluid to go into a container nice and neat. Oh well now we all know.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:24 PM
when u change any of those parts the fluid will need to be drained.so everything will be empty. i never needed to do the ms yet but im sure if i can do the slave i can do the master (no pun intended)

and no why would they need to tell u wat clear tube size u need. jus eye ball it if the tube u have is alittle too big jus zip tie the tip to make the diameter smaller. the fsm is not gonna be detailed nor is it there to hold ur hand and tell you every single detail. it doesnt tell u how many times to pump the brakes or how many times to bleed. its jus stuff u gotta figure out on ur own. the fsm was designed for people with some car experience so theyre not gonna go into detail with everything. to them it probably doesnt matter wat size tube u use so long it goes over the nipple thats all that matters

Old 09-09-2015, 03:27 PM
The FSM is for mechanics to follow to do their jobs, no?

I asked this because my two days a week are valuable and I'm working on the car in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE so I need to come 100% prepared. One mistake and that's one week lost. Gotta think of every possibility. Winter's coming! I want a car to hop into, not frozen numb fingers lol.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:30 PM
yea like i said its for people with car experience. its not written for complete noobs so its not gonna go into every detail. im not saying ur a noob but by the way ur whining about the fsm not stating what tube size to use is a bit funny to me.