General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Transmission leak location question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission leak location question

Have a transmission leak in my 04 g35 coupe and its pretty descent as it leaves a spot in the driveway after sitting overnight. Having to check daily and fill as necessary and can smell it burning when the car is idling. I kinda have a idea where it might be coming from but not sure 100%.

Should there be a bolt in the location in the picture? I can't tell if its coming from that but it kinda looks like it and there isn't really any fluid dripping from another location. The pan is to the left of the pic and the presumed bolt missing is on the passenger side. I also tried to look at some part diagrams of the transmission and couldn't really find anything what I was looking for so I am hoping somebody could help me with this

Thanks

Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Tough to say. Have you tried jacking up the car, thoroughly cleaning the area around the pan, then letting the car idle for a few minutes to see if you can spot the leak?

Old 03-16-2016, 09:13 PM
I removed the one on the drivers side and it had some transmission fluid on it so I went ahead and went to hardware store to get a matching bolt to put on the other side. I have already cleaned up the pan somewhat and never did notice any fresh fluid around it so I am hoping this is the problem

Old 03-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Small bump..

Didn't fix it and after cleaning the area up, it just seems to be all coated in it again like its a spray pattern and just coats the area. Also when the hood is up, I can smell it burning it off and there is some very clear but visible white smoke under a flash light that is coming up from behind the motor. Kinda stumped at this point.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Maybe the gasket in the pan is bad? There are also some lines that run to the radiator. What kind of car is this rwd or awd?

You can clean the whole area and spray athletes foot spray there and let it run. Any leaks should be seen. You could also buy some uv dye for oil/atf/fuel, put it in, and see if it leaks with a flashlight and some glasses.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Well I bought some dye and ran it through and after checking it throughly with the UV light it seems like its coming from the crankshaft position sensor. I didn't get a chance to pull it out yet to see if had UV on the actually part that sits in the transmission but I was curious if the crankshaft position sensor would actually "see" fluid which I didn't think it did so kinda has me confused unless Im misunderstanding something.

Last edited by JoshsG35; 03-28-2016 at 10:50 AM.