General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Tick/Knocking noise coming from the engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tick/Knocking noise coming from the engine

(My car is a 05 G35 coupe Rev Up 6 speed 103k on the odometer) First off I baby my car most of the time shifting from 2500-2700 rpms on daily driving and just commuting from work to the house and what not. I have a 3.69 gear in my V35 coupe and lightweight wheels(18lbs advan racing), one piece lightweight driveshaft etc so I don't have to gun it as much as a stock G to get going. Once in awhile i'll get on it some but still not very hard, but when I do occasionally I will hear a knock coming from the engine. My car has full bolt ons with around 285 whp NA and 5 maps with my tune (ranging from race, daily driving, fuel conservative etc) but I daily on my fuel conservative tune. I have had a lightweight crank pulley on for only about 5-7k miles and wondered if that could have something to do with it but one of my mechanics (he's a G35/37 mechanic ranging from performance to swaps) says they can go 100k miles with them and no problem. Should I swap back to my OEM crank pulley and or just get a full engine diagnostic? Also I might just upgrade to some Z1 performance heads but I'm looking for the best alternative.

On a side note: When I casual drive it I usually wont hear any knocking noise, it usually happens when I get on it more.

Last edited by GSpeedRevUp; 12-10-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Check your oil level. Some of these cars are known for having an oil consumption problem.

The following users liked this post:
GSpeedRevUp (12-20-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 09:06 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Check the basics first before you worry about your mods, because that is a whole other issue we can't help you with.

Oil level is primary. when was your last oil change? Then go from there.

The following users liked this post:
GSpeedRevUp (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Check your oil level. Some of these cars are known for having an oil consumption problem.
Yep that was the problem. I did an oil change at about 3300 mileage a little over the 3k mark and it fixed the problem, but the thing is i check my level regularly and fill up my oil when needed. I even buy an extra tub of oil for this reason, though when i drained my oil it had only about 3.5 quarts in it. I know all of the oil doesn't drain on an oil change alot of it stays in the engine, but i really didn't think the oil consumption was this bad lol even adding oil when needed. I do have a Rev Up model and i know these consume oil like a dehydrated person in the desert. Also our oil dipsticks suck for reading oil and yes i know check the oil before you have even started the car or driven it. Thanks for the help though guys. If you hear a small type knocking noise and you baby your car it's most likely your oil level is low or u need an oil change.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Right. When you check it warm a lot of residual oil will catch on the dipstick and it cannot be accurate.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine got fixed by replacing the lifter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.