General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Coolant leak ?

Old 07-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant leak ?

Looks like its leaking somewhere under the thermostat .i believe its the ac compresor not sure maybe the water pump. Helppppp lol

Old 07-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Sure hope it's not the water pump - for which timing cover had to come off o.O

Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
The correct way to find a leak is to have your system "Pressure Tested" which will pin point exactly where the leak is coming from. This way you can have whatever needs replaced without your repair being a guessing game and wasting your $$...Gary

The following users liked this post:
telcoman (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If thats coming from near the T stat it could be a bad clamp.. Just got done replacing my radiator & t stat, and had a huge leak afterwards.. ended up being a crappy clamp not holding tight enough on the smaller t stat coolant line..

Check your clamps.. Are you overheating at all?

If its not your clamps, the hose itself might be bad. Get a pressure test done, as Gary suggests.. Thats what pinpointed my bad clamp after replacing the radiator & t stat.. If you do that, and its not the hoses or clamps, that looks to be in the vicinity of the water pump "weep hole"

If your water pump is failing, or has a bad gasket, it will ejaculate coolant out of the weep hole to prevent coolant from entering the timing cover.

Best of luck! Please do keep us posted. Also, if it is the pump, you dont NOT have to remove the timing cover as advised above. Just an FYI

Old 07-18-2017, 02:28 AM
Thanks guys appreciate the help. I actually did overheat today my temp gauge is at 3/4. I am going to try to get a pressure test done tomorrow after work.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Hmm.. I ran into this same issue literally about a month back..

Started over heating and dumping coolant everywhere.. Does your cabin heat work? If not, you DEFINATELY have air in the system.

My leak ended up being my radiator. Was very hard to pin point it (did so without pressure test )

when you OH, try turning the cabin heat on 4 @ 90degrees -- as long as you're driving, this should prevent you from hitting H. You will see it drop drastically as you drive with the heat on. The only time this DIDN'T work for me was when my leak got so big, to the point where id loose about 2-3 quarts within 3 city blocks of driving. Once your system gets below half way, you cant stop the overheating at that point.

If I were you I would take that intake tube off, start the car, and look at both t stat hoses, and inspect gasket as well.

Do you overheat if you just sit idling? or only once you drive a little bit?

Old 07-18-2017, 02:10 PM
It runs at 3/4 normal I'm running no thermostat. I dropped off my car at the shop this morning . They are going to diagnose.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Also, you do have a couple of coolant lines that run under the intake tube as well. Be sure to check the one that connects to the underside of your throttle body

Old 07-18-2017, 02:11 PM
You were running it without a T-Stat? lol

Old 07-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Yeah lol so it's shouldn't over best.
Most people i talk to say waterpump idk
but the shop says they're going to diagnose right so they fix the problem instead of just dumping money on parts it doesbt need

Old 07-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Well if you overheated with the t stat off, its definitely not the t stat lol..

If the leak is coming from below t stat area, its more than likely the waterpump gasket failing, and pushing the fluid out of the weeper.

I thought my issue may be a bad pump/gasket, and I ended up getting quote 425$ up here in the Mil/Chi area.

If it is the pump/gasket, don't let the shop spend the time taking the timing cover off, as it isn't needed at all. Have them change the tensioner & gasket(just get a new pump while you're at it)

Keep us posted man!!

Old 07-18-2017, 02:32 PM
And to further clarify procedure to getting to the pump; there's actually an access port on the timing cover.. I believe its 3 or 4 10mm bolts... Will save your mechanic a lot of time, and save you money on getting a new timing chain as well (always recommended to replace the chain if you open the case)

Old 07-18-2017, 02:34 PM
The shop quoted at 300? Is that good

Old 07-18-2017, 02:35 PM
F**k yeah that's a steal. I'd say let them do it however they want at that price lmao

Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Hopwfully shes back to normal soon

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.