General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Another overheating Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another overheating Thread

I've had this G35 for about a month now, bought it from a private seller. Has some codes it's been throwing but it has started to over heat now.

The first time it happened I was on the highway and it put me into limp mode. (Wasn't thinking to check the temp while driving in the highway and it has never over heated before) got out and it puked coolant all over the road. Could not find a leak and my coolant resivour was dry.

Now it will stay cool while driving, and will even idle for 20min before starting to over heat. I can drive it around town for a little while and it will be fine. Then out of nowhere, it starts to over heat. No visible leaks anywhere. It just fills my overflow tank, and occasionally shoots out of it if I'm not watching my temp. I changed the radiator cap and it still does it. I have noticed the top hose will be hot and the bottom one will be ambient temperature.

Bought a new thermostat and will be putting that on tomorrow. Hopping that will fix my problem.

I know there's alot of over heating threads, but my problem seams weird to me and I haven't seen anyone with the exact same as me. Any help from you all would be appreciated.

If the thermostat doesn't work I'm going to get a radiator. If that doesn't work then I guess it's a head gasket problem? If that's the case is that something I could do myself, and if the head gasket is blown will just replacing it fix everything. Or do I need to get a whole new engine?

Old 08-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Before you start throwing parts at your overheating issue, you need to have your cooling system pressure tested! And don't keep driving your G or you'll be asking us where to find a new engine! There's less than 1/2 dozen issues that cause over heating, pressure test will pin point the problem!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 08-27-2017 at 11:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 07:38 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Could be a thermostat or circulation related.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:36 AM
Update

Was very worried it was head gasket related. So I bought a block tester with fluid and it stsid blue the whole time I was pumping it. Changed my thermostat, flushed the coolant, put new in. Bleed the system about 10 different ways I found online. Even put it through multiple heat cycles and kept adding fluid. Now everything is all good, so far no more over heating. It's only been two days but before the over heating started to happen I could hear water flowing from behind my dash. So I'm pretty sure it was just an air Bible that got trapped by the thermostat or something of the like.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:59 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
pretty sure it was just an air Bible
Those air bibles man, gets you every time.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Those air bibles man, gets you every time.
Starting to make a gurgling sound behind dash again on start up. It's so hard to get all those d**** air bubbles out. Pisses me off. I've done everything possible.
Anyone know if it's normal for the over flow to fill up a little after driving?

Old 09-04-2017, 11:45 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yes that's normal, did you use the bleed valve located up near the battery to help remove air from the heater core?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.