General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Front wheel hub install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front wheel hub install

I have been fooling with this right side hub for two days now. I have removed the seized hub out. Now how do you get the new one back in.
I read a write up if you want to call that on here. The guy doesn't give any details on how to "work it back in."

This is on a 07 g35 sedan

There is a magnet sensor to put inside the back cap of the hub that is mounted to the car. I don't see a way to install the hub back on without removing this sensor.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
That sensor is for the abs/wheels speed, you don't need to remove it but it's recommended to prevent knocking it about. The hub/bearing assembly should slip back in the same place the old one came out from, make sure it's clean of rust and other debris. Also, are you sure it's in the correct orientation?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
That sensor is for the abs/wheels speed, you don't need to remove it but it's recommended to prevent knocking it about. The hub/bearing assembly should slip back in the same place the old one came out from, make sure it's clean of rust and other debris. Also, are you sure it's in the correct orientation?

Yeah that's what I was hoping but no such luck. There was no way the sensor would have slipped in the hole without removing it.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If the hub is absolutely locked into place then remove the entire hub assembly knuckle so you can apply force to it from the rear. In the past I've had to use longer hub mounting studs and tap on them from the rear (since the only threaded part is the actual hub and not the knuckle) Just be careful since the hub is a cast item and not forged. You can also use a large diameter shoe for a press and get it on the backside of the hub and either press or hammer it out. Support the knuckle and dust shield so they aren't damaged during the process, use wood or something that will deform without damaging the metal.

Worst case scenario like someone drove it through the ocean and it has literally become one piece of metal, you can always buy a new piece.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
The sensor takes just one bolt to remove it, if it's in the way then remove it?

Also, does the old hub fit back in where it's supposed to go? Maybe your replacement is different?

Old 09-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Everything was a pita but it all worked out. Thank you for the replies. I put the 4 bolts back in and used a punch to tap each corner slowly out. This was a northern car, every thing on it is heavily corroded. The one bolt that held the sensor in place, the hex head snapped off. So I had to drill it out and retapped with a 6mm. I replaced with a stainless bolt with anti-seize. Now on to the next project. The rear end is leaking, I hope she isn't dry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.