General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

G35 coupe cranks but no start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe cranks but no start.

So recently I bought a g35 coupe, when I bought the car it had a dead battery, the car only ran with jumper pack. I bought a battery and put it in, and after that the car wouldn't start even with jumper pack. It would crank then start, but it would shut off right away, sometimes I can give it a couple revs. Like 2 weeks later we scanned again and it only read one code for crankshaft position sensor. Which I replaced prior to scanning, I also replaced the pigtail for the crankshaft sensor. And it didn't do a thing.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:30 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There's a few things that can prevent fuel and ignition, both cam sensors, crank sensor, fuel pressure. Chances are it's one of those items if the motor will crank normally. Rev-up motors have 4 cam sensors.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
There's a few things that can prevent fuel and ignition, both cam sensors, crank sensor, fuel pressure. Chances are it's one of those items if the motor will crank normally. Rev-up motors have 4 cam sensors.
We sprayed starting fluid in, so it's not a problem with the fuel, and it's 2004 so it's not rev up, I don't think it's the camshaft sensors, because if they were bad the car would still start and run, but it would run like crap.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:58 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Pull a spark plug, plug it back into the coil pack, with a leather glove on hold the ground strap (hook part of the plug) onto the metal of the intake manifold (or any other grounded metal on the engine/chassis) and crank the motor. If you see spark then the sensors are at least sending enough of a signal for the ECU to fire the coils.

Yes a failed cam sensor can prevent the motor from starting, the ECU controls spark and fuel and won't fire without cam/crank sensor signals.

Just on the off chance it's something simple and obvious, have you tried adding a single gallon of fuel to the tank?

It's possible (and high likely) that if you replaced that cam sensor with a non-OEM unit that the computer just won't read it. These machines are INCREDIBLY picky about sensors and it's strongly recommended to only use OEM ones from Nissan/Infiniti

The following users liked this post:
telcoman (11-06-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 08:26 PM
Yeah I put more than a gallon of gas, that didn't work. I already checked the sparkplugs, checked like 3 off em, it had spark.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:41 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'd clean the MAF, check the entire intake tract for obvious rips/tears/leaks, perform ALL the resets as specified (use a timer with seconds, timing is critical for proper reset) and try again.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/g35...procedure.html

Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 PM
I bought new mad sensor, and the whole intake. I will try to reset it again, thanks for the help.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
So, it started when you put starting fluid in the system?

I don't believe Nissan/Infiniti will run if the camshaft/crankshaft goes finally out completely. I think it needs both signals to turn the injector pulse on, so if your car ran off starting fluid, but it's not turning the injectors on that's probably why. Does your RPM gauge move when you crank?

Old 10-28-2017, 09:11 PM
No it didn't start

Old 10-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I'd check the other 3 spark plugs to make sure all 6 are firing and then if you read the FSM there is some resistance checks you can do on the sensors (cam/crank). Just because you bought a new part doesn't make it good, I've had a few replacement parts that ended up being bad before.

Try unplugging the MAF also the car should run in a default rich mode if that is an issue.

You can also try holding the pedal to the floor while cranking it.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:23 AM
I've had the car for a while now, and kind of sick of trying to find the problem, I will just bring it to a shop so they can run a diagnostic test, and then I would replace or fix if it's not too serious.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:48 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'd recommend going to Nissan for it, you'll pay the same for a diagnostic fee pretty much no matter where you go so might as well take it to the people that have the actual machine and manual to test it.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:31 AM
thanks man

Old 11-12-2017, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Maxmenov
I've had the car for a while now, and kind of sick of trying to find the problem, I will just bring it to a shop so they can run a diagnostic test, and then I would replace or fix if it's not too serious.
Did you ever get it to start and what was the root cause of the problem?
Was it out of gas and is that why there was no follow up?

Telcoman

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.