G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   Intake & Exhaust (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust-23/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP! NEED ADVICE! Hydrolocked (https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/106758-please-help-need-advice-hydrolocked.html)

mbroschak 07-07-2006 11:56 AM

PLEASE HELP! NEED ADVICE! Hydrolocked

My car was towed back to the dealer after my engine died driving thru 6" of water at about 5 mph. I have an injen CAI. The dealer doesn't know the extent of the damage but said they won't cover it. What should I say to my insurance company to hopefully get them to cover it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Scootch 07-07-2006 12:01 PM

awww...note #1..when ever i take ur car to dealer remove any engine mods..cause they wont warrenty it if there see 1 thing..which sux...but u engine is dead....sry i have the injen cai also..but i didnt go thru any puddles..but with my lexus gs400 i did cause i forgot i had the ram air..and it sucked in water..just like ur car did n crack my engine block so my insurance bought me a used engine...dam man...i sry to hear this...but this was my experiense with this problem...only suggestion is stay away from water...when it rained here last i was going into a puddles n remebered my lexus n i turned around..it sux but its worth saving the engine

Joe

da mayor 07-07-2006 12:03 PM

always take out the mods b/c your warranty is void b/c of the intake. the insurance company CAN deny your claim as well

speedgeek 07-07-2006 12:05 PM

Sorry to hear, that sucks :(
The dealer after seeing your CAI is of course gonna deny warranty service. My only idea would be to remove your aftermarket parts and take the car to another dealer and play dumb.

Good luck

da mayor 07-07-2006 12:12 PM

all infiniti's are linked so if you went to another dealer and they wrote in: VOID WARRANTY -- then you're screwed

bwassul 07-07-2006 12:15 PM

If your G is at the stock height, I don't see how driving through six inches of water at 5 mph would generate enough energy to hydrolock the motor. You'd have to submerge the filter completely OR have enough forward momentum to force a large quantity of water 2' up and back to the motor.

jersey-G 07-07-2006 12:26 PM

The CAI extension goes pretty low I believe.

bwassul 07-07-2006 12:30 PM

I have an AEM CAI, which I'm going to guess puts the filter in roughly the same location. The bottom of my filter sits at least 10 inches off the ground.

I'm just trying to show how the CAI can't definitely be the problem. If the CAI isn't definitely the problem, Infiniti can't deny warranty service.

Archangel 07-07-2006 12:36 PM

He'd have a hard time explaining a hydrolock without mentioning a CAI. I don't think Infiniti would honor the warranty if he was all stock and drove into 3 feet of water causing the hydrolock. Your going to have to pay to fix the engine yourself or sell the car as is.

Scootch 07-07-2006 12:38 PM

yup..this is the end of his g...sux

G SEDAN 07-07-2006 01:35 PM

why didnt you have a bypass valve? that sucks so much....-_-
Don't try another dealership they are all linked throught some network. I am so sorry man...

Nightops 07-07-2006 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Socal_G_sedan
why didnt you have a bypass valve? that sucks so much....-_-
Don't try another dealership they are all linked throught some network. I am so sorry man...

wow - it seems unlikely that water at that speed could be forced into the CAI...I'm wondering, does the Injen have a bypass valve or do they sell one as an option? I'd like to have one in case of this happening where it can't be avoided like the freeway...

dofu 07-07-2006 04:44 PM

As long as you let it dry for a while before driving it again, you just have to change your oil and plugs and your car should be fine.

budzync 07-07-2006 05:21 PM

I did this twice when I had a Wrangler. The first time I went into a pretty deep 'puddle' and had to be towed out. The engine would not turn over..and being me being nieve, since it was a stick I tried to push start it. Blew a rod out of the oil pan. After having the lower half of the engine replaced, of course, was 4 wheeling again and again got stuck in a 'puddle.' This time i followed my mechanics advice and got towed back home, pulled the plugs and let the engine dry out for a day or two. Put the plugs back it and she turned over. Never had a problem.

Good Luck.

Chris

truplay8 07-07-2006 05:25 PM

damn that sucks, sorry to hear...........like everyone else said, your only shot is to remove the intake and go back to the dealer............good luck