Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

PLEASE HELP! NEED ADVICE! Hydrolocked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP! NEED ADVICE! Hydrolocked

My car was towed back to the dealer after my engine died driving thru 6" of water at about 5 mph. I have an injen CAI. The dealer doesn't know the extent of the damage but said they won't cover it. What should I say to my insurance company to hopefully get them to cover it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Old 07-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awww...note #1..when ever i take ur car to dealer remove any engine mods..cause they wont warrenty it if there see 1 thing..which sux...but u engine is dead....sry i have the injen cai also..but i didnt go thru any puddles..but with my lexus gs400 i did cause i forgot i had the ram air..and it sucked in water..just like ur car did n crack my engine block so my insurance bought me a used engine...dam man...i sry to hear this...but this was my experiense with this problem...only suggestion is stay away from water...when it rained here last i was going into a puddles n remebered my lexus n i turned around..it sux but its worth saving the engine

Joe

Old 07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
always take out the mods b/c your warranty is void b/c of the intake. the insurance company CAN deny your claim as well

Old 07-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear, that sucks
The dealer after seeing your CAI is of course gonna deny warranty service. My only idea would be to remove your aftermarket parts and take the car to another dealer and play dumb.

Good luck

Old 07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
all infiniti's are linked so if you went to another dealer and they wrote in: VOID WARRANTY -- then you're screwed

Old 07-07-2006, 12:15 PM
If your G is at the stock height, I don't see how driving through six inches of water at 5 mph would generate enough energy to hydrolock the motor. You'd have to submerge the filter completely OR have enough forward momentum to force a large quantity of water 2' up and back to the motor.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The CAI extension goes pretty low I believe.

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2006, 12:30 PM
I have an AEM CAI, which I'm going to guess puts the filter in roughly the same location. The bottom of my filter sits at least 10 inches off the ground.

I'm just trying to show how the CAI can't definitely be the problem. If the CAI isn't definitely the problem, Infiniti can't deny warranty service.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:36 PM
He'd have a hard time explaining a hydrolock without mentioning a CAI. I don't think Infiniti would honor the warranty if he was all stock and drove into 3 feet of water causing the hydrolock. Your going to have to pay to fix the engine yourself or sell the car as is.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup..this is the end of his g...sux

Old 07-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
why didnt you have a bypass valve? that sucks so much....-_-
Don't try another dealership they are all linked throught some network. I am so sorry man...

Old 07-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Socal_G_sedan
why didnt you have a bypass valve? that sucks so much....-_-
Don't try another dealership they are all linked throught some network. I am so sorry man...
wow - it seems unlikely that water at that speed could be forced into the CAI...I'm wondering, does the Injen have a bypass valve or do they sell one as an option? I'd like to have one in case of this happening where it can't be avoided like the freeway...

Old 07-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
As long as you let it dry for a while before driving it again, you just have to change your oil and plugs and your car should be fine.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:21 PM
I did this twice when I had a Wrangler. The first time I went into a pretty deep 'puddle' and had to be towed out. The engine would not turn over..and being me being nieve, since it was a stick I tried to push start it. Blew a rod out of the oil pan. After having the lower half of the engine replaced, of course, was 4 wheeling again and again got stuck in a 'puddle.' This time i followed my mechanics advice and got towed back home, pulled the plugs and let the engine dry out for a day or two. Put the plugs back it and she turned over. Never had a problem.

Good Luck.

Chris

Old 07-07-2006, 05:25 PM
THE BATMOBILE
damn that sucks, sorry to hear...........like everyone else said, your only shot is to remove the intake and go back to the dealer............good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! NEED ADVICE! Hydrolocked