Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

solo z tube

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
solo z tube

would a z tube fitted on its own without an aftermarket filter like the JWT pop charger make the car sound good as they are always talked about together.
Does the sound come more from the z tube or the p/charger.
Only asking because im a bit worried about the water ingress risk as our roads often get flooded.
( i did search first )

Old 09-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah with the z tube and stock airfilter the engine is less baffled...if you put a pop charger you shouldnt get water in the engine cause its not a CAI.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:22 PM
I have it and IMO the only sound difference is it's a bit louder above 4k RPMs. And it tends to whistle a bit under 4k RPMs.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by bigd23
I have it and IMO the only sound difference is it's a bit louder above 4k RPMs. And it tends to whistle a bit under 4k RPMs.
love the wistle...very unique..

Old 09-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bigd23
You have it without the pop charger you mean? and do I understand this right.. a pop charger with the ztube will add alot more sound to it or is bigd23 referring to he has both and its not much of a difference. I am dying to get a ztube but to me.. its not worth having to worry about even a remote chance of hydrolocking.....

so pop charger and z tube make a big sound difference or only a difference over 4k?

pop charger and z tube are fool proof for rain? No worries at all about water with this setup?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by LI-G35Driver
You have it without the pop charger you mean? and do I understand this right.. a pop charger with the ztube will add alot more sound to it or is bigd23 referring to he has both and its not much of a difference. I am dying to get a ztube but to me.. its not worth having to worry about even a remote chance of hydrolocking.....

so pop charger and z tube make a big sound difference or only a difference over 4k?

pop charger and z tube are fool proof for rain? No worries at all about water with this setup?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris, Pop charger and ztube you will hear a sound difference...at idle maybe a hissing...Z tube shouldnt have a high hydrolocking probability besides...you arent running a Cold Air intake when its the ztube and popcharger..

Old 09-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by abcquackyxyz
Chris, Pop charger and ztube you will hear a sound difference...at idle maybe a hissing...Z tube shouldnt have a high hydrolocking probability besides...you arent running a Cold Air intake when its the ztube and popcharger..
Thanks.. can I ask what the CAI adds then? Is it sound, power, both?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO ANY OF THE AFTERMARKET KITS REALLY IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE?? OR JUST THE SOUND?? WILL A K&N OR AMSOIL BE JUST AS GOOD OR DO U REALLY NEED TO GET RID OF THE AIR BOX AND SILENCER????

C A I = COLD AIR INTAKE ,, USUALLY A TUBE LEADING TO CLEAN UN -HEATED AIR HUNGLOW IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT....

Old 09-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Brian
Originally Posted by LI-G35Driver
Thanks.. can I ask what the CAI adds then? Is it sound, power, both?

Thanks,
Chris
CAI adds both. The true Cold Air intake uses a longer, bent tube to relocate the intake down just behind your bumper - so it's significantly lower (about 12" off the ground) and THAT is what puts you in danger of sucking up water in a rainstorm. Compare that to your stock intake which is pretty much between the top of your front grill and the bottom lip of your hood. Big height difference there. There are water traps that you can get that help prevent water from being sucked up into the engine when you have a CAI.

How loud is that whistle the Z-tube makes? Do you like it or is it kind of annoying?

Old 09-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys... you guys are great... now I have info to make decisions.. great thread!

Chris

Old 09-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have my popcharger laying here ready to be installed but i dont have a Ztube..will it really make a difference or should i just keep the stock tube?

Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 PM
just for kicks - try my .10 intake mod before installing the POP. Let me know your thoughts. I can almost guarentee you will love it.
https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/117726-poor-man-s-10-pop-charger.html

Old 09-21-2006, 11:39 PM
im getting two for my 07

Old 09-22-2006, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by BigShow
i have my popcharger laying here ready to be installed but i dont have a Ztube..will it really make a difference or should i just keep the stock tube?
Ohh Ztube doesnt make the whistle ,its the popcharger or CAI that makes it whistle

YOu should put the Ztube with the pop charger cause with the stock tube it baffles some sound and plus you are losing .5 inch diameter on the stock tube...

Old 09-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by OU812G350
DO ANY OF THE AFTERMARKET KITS REALLY IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE?? OR JUST THE SOUND?? WILL A K&N OR AMSOIL BE JUST AS GOOD OR DO U REALLY NEED TO GET RID OF THE AIR BOX AND SILENCER????

C A I = COLD AIR INTAKE ,, USUALLY A TUBE LEADING TO CLEAN UN -HEATED AIR HUNGLOW IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT....
a minute amount of performance increase not really noticible but the sound is tottally different

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: solo z tube