Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Injenn cai water prevention

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injenn cai water prevention

hey guys, its tough to keep a convo going when the threads start to get lengthy.. so im figured id start a new thread on this, sorryyy

I got the injen cai (rd1990p)and I want to get something to prevent water from getting sucked in and possibly hydrolocking my vehicle without losing performance although you have no hp gain with g35 intakes..

Im debating between the Injen hydro sleeve and the Aem Bypass Valve

heres a link for the bypassvalue
http://www.racezero.com/webstore/ite...-inch--20-403S

cant find a the hydro sleeve at the moment..whatever

now from previous descision, its better to get the bypassvalve because you could go to the point of submerging your cai and no water would get in
but Ive heard that it increases temperature...now I know our intakes do nothing performance wise for us.. but would i lose performance elsewhere since its making the temperature hotter.. im thinking yes?

sorry for making the thread on this, I just need a clear answer on it before I buy, and thanks to those who have helped thus far

Old 02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
there would really be no point to a CAI if you add a bypass or any other sort of safety mechanism. just drive safe, alert, and steer clear of any puddles.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by brooklynite
there would really be no point to a CAI if you add a bypass or any other sort of safety mechanism. just drive safe, alert, and steer clear of any puddles.
whats your explanation behind that?

Cai's for g35s are for sound really and the bypassvalve would eliminate the chance of the cai sucking in water

Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 PM
I currently have the hydroshield and think it is fine, I had bought the bypass valve and after looking inside it as I installed it, I noticed alot of little plastic pieces and metal springs
The last thing I wanted was either this spring or some little plastic piece breaking off and going into my intake (there is nothing between that bypass valve and your intake plenum)

Talking with the guy that I ordered it from he said they never heard of this happening but I was going to be damned if I was going to be the first
I took that bypass valve off the very next day

now alot of people are trying to point out that the hydroshield is not waterproof, it's not suppose to be, just water repellent, seems like not alot of money for a little more security, plus I make sure not to drive through any ponds.

Just some food for thought

Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 PM
just be careful and dont drive through puddles..if you really need to. just make ur intake a short ram during the rainy season

Old 02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tonys-G
now alot of people are trying to point out that the hydroshield is not waterproof, it's not suppose to be, just water repellent, seems like not alot of money for a little more security, plus I make sure not to drive through any ponds.
haha very true with the ponds

price wise, they are relatively the same (about a $15 difference)
I dont know much about the bypassvalve and seeing that I dont and not many others do either I think ill just get the hydro sleeve and todd it on the filter

not a definite, many some of the guys who know/use the bypass valve will tune in

Old 02-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Rphillips6487
hey guys, its tough to keep a convo going when the threads start to get lengthy.. so im figured id start a new thread on this, sorryyy

I got the injen cai (rd1990p)and I want to get something to prevent water from getting sucked in and possibly hydrolocking my vehicle without losing performance although you have no hp gain with g35 intakes..

Im debating between the Injen hydro sleeve and the Aem Bypass Valve

heres a link for the bypassvalue
http://www.racezero.com/webstore/ite...-inch--20-403S

cant find a the hydro sleeve at the moment..whatever

now from previous descision, its better to get the bypassvalve because you could go to the point of submerging your cai and no water would get in
but Ive heard that it increases temperature...now I know our intakes do nothing performance wise for us.. but would i lose performance elsewhere since its making the temperature hotter.. im thinking yes?

sorry for making the thread on this, I just need a clear answer on it before I buy, and thanks to those who have helped thus far
bypass valve. The injen sleave doesn't prevent hydrolock. It only keeps the filter clean. I have the AEM bypass valve on my CAI and have nothing but praises to say a bout it. I've had it in on all of my cars since they came out with it. You won't regret this purchase.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:17 PM
damn this is tough...

bypass valve and hydroshield are about same price

bypass, prevents all water, increases temp

injenshield/sleeve protects filter and repells water

i dont think ill ever be going through ponds, and I am up north (NH).. hmm

Old 02-13-2007, 10:23 PM
i live in ny, its not like we get monsoons here but i never had a problem (knock on wood). And there have been plenty of times I hit in the rain just to have fun with the car.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned
hey phillips just seein what u went for your CAI

i have just purchased an injen CAI as well and all these things bout basically flooding your injen is startin to get to me...

let me know what you decide on doin man cuz i will probally do the same

Old 03-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I would think if you have all that stuff inside the pipe, it would create a restriction and totally negate or make the intake perform worse than stock?

Originally Posted by Tonys-G
I currently have the hydroshield and think it is fine, I had bought the bypass valve and after looking inside it as I installed it, I noticed alot of little plastic pieces and metal springs
The last thing I wanted was either this spring or some little plastic piece breaking off and going into my intake (there is nothing between that bypass valve and your intake plenum)

Talking with the guy that I ordered it from he said they never heard of this happening but I was going to be damned if I was going to be the first
I took that bypass valve off the very next day

Just some food for thought