Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Hydrolock behavior?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrolock behavior?

Sorry guys, I should have posted this here....

Ok I have a 2006 Coupe and an AEM intake came with the car and was installed by the dealer for the previous owner.

I read all about hydrolocking etc and it made me nervous and that is why I bought a stock air box from a local member that is in transit now.

The AEM intake tube stretches all the way down to the lower front left grille and it actually sits right there at the bottom, right behind the grille. Therefore there is easy access for water to spray in there.

I notice whenever I go for a touchless car wash, afterwards, the car seems to hesitate and "buck" when accelerating. This goes away after awhile.

Today I went for a car wash and it was doing it more frequent than usual
and when i reached my destination I let the car sit there for maybe 2 hrs and then, when I drove it after, there is a "Check Engine Soon" amber light on all the time as well as the hesitating behaviour still occurs.

Is it possible that maybe there is water or worse yet, soap suds etc in my engine motor?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah on idle, the car will stay reving at 1000 RPM and then in short splurts, shoot up to 2000 -3500 and more sometimes.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe you have a leak somewhere. either that or moisture is confusing your airflow sensor.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned
Hydrolock is when you suck up water and it gets ingested to the cylinder(s) and when compression stroke occurs................. OUCH!!!! Could be MAF. See if the dealer is willing to change it out. At first tell him it happens without warning and no pattern. If nothing happens then mention the car wash. Usually the Maf works or it doesn't. Could be dirty but if it only happens after the car wash. At least ask them to clean it for you. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Well i took it into the dealer this morning and on the way there, it stopped the hesitating and bucking motions. phew....

They said that maybe a little water got up in there. But there is nuthing wrong and they reset the code.

The service engine light is off now.

Thanks for responding guys and for your suggestions

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.