Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

throttle body spacer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ballisticus
Be careful ye Northern folk. This thing will isolate your TB from the heated plenum and it could allow the plate to freeze open. That would be bad.
Good point! This spacer is aluminum and about 3/4" thick, so you should still get enough heat transfer from the plenum to prevent the TB plate from freezing in the winter.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by ballisticus
Be careful ye Northern folk. This thing will isolate your TB from the heated plenum and it could allow the plate to freeze open. That would be bad.
Good point... and those with MD copper Iso Therm kit make want to re-think... I'm in So Cal and I have coolant shut off there anyway. I searched the Internet and the only product I could find that has a spacer for the VQ was this one:
http://www.car-stuff.com/performance...e=22&category=

The Ebay is another option - that one looks better, but I'd like to find the company website that makes it...

Also I'm still working on finding out if the one Shawn Church dyno'd is in production. At least we know that one has been tested. The theory might be the same for all but design nuances like angle of the rifling/vanes (whatever you want to call it), the depth/length, might contribute to one being a better choice than the other?

Old 04-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
I carefully tested one myself on the Z and it did nothing up or down.

I can't comment on what Shawns results were, he told me the same thing. And Shawn is credible... so I seriously looked into it. I just didn't see any effect in my testing... and if I saw even 1 verifyable HP, I would have researched this subject very heavily.

But I won't say no just yet. If any one wants a free pre/post dyno of their TB spacer just let me know.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I carefully tested one myself on the Z and it did nothing up or down.

I can't comment on what Shawns results were, he told me the same thing. And Shawn is credible... so I seriously looked into it. I just didn't see any effect in my testing... and if I saw even 1 verifyable HP, I would have researched this subject very heavily.

But I won't say no just yet. If any one wants a free pre/post dyno of their TB spacer just let me know.
Thanks for the post Tony - this is exactly what I was calling you for this morning... I may take you up on the pre/post dyno offer (maybe we can test the Lizard Skin Thermal properties too)... I'm trying to find some specifics about the unit Shawn tested... which one did you dyno?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
The reason I posted this thread was because I have used one before on a GM truck that I had and it was a decent mod. I just didn't see any posts saying that anyone used one. You guys have been very helpful and let me know what else you may find about it.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Good point... and those with MD copper Iso Therm kit make want to re-think... I'm in So Cal and I have coolant shut off there anyway. I searched the Internet and the only product I could find that has a spacer for the VQ was this one:
http://www.car-stuff.com/performance...e=22&category=

The Ebay is another option - that one looks better, but I'd like to find the company website that makes it...

Also I'm still working on finding out if the one Shawn Church dyno'd is in production. At least we know that one has been tested. The theory might be the same for all but design nuances like angle of the rifling/vanes (whatever you want to call it), the depth/length, might contribute to one being a better choice than the other?
If you look at the EBay units - they specifically mention Church's - Shawn's place...so that is the one he used.

Rick

Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
If you look at the EBay units - they specifically mention Church's - Shawn's place...so that is the one he used.

Rick
I didn't see anything that mentioned Church's... do you have a link? He told me the one he used - and I can’t find any info about them... maybe they started manufacturing the product for production - and that's what's on ebay? If you have info/link on the Church automotive mention I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by OCG35; 09-25-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
helix makes one for the vq...helix power tower do a search

Old 04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by g35rcr
helix makes one for the vq...helix power tower do a search
I'm only interested in the one that Shawn Church tested...

Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 PM
tb spacers do create horsepower. im not sure about 8 hp but if indeed it is ''rifled'' then yes, i could see that benefitting the vq. all that air has to hit that 60 degree bend right after the tbi and if the rifling helps the air to take that bend quciker and not back up the incoming air behind it then it should add hp. once again not much, but noticeable. its like the few turbo cars ive tuned, when we removed some of the intake piping that had bends and curves and swapped them for straighter pipes it made more hp.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I stopped by Shawn's place today... and have made contact with the manufacturer... I hope to be testing the one Shawn has soon. Tony has graciously offered his time and equipment for testing and DaveO is interested in testing... if the results are the same as Shawn saw (or even a decent fraction of it) this could be worthwhile... Time will tell.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I stopped by Shawn's place today... and have made contact with the manufacturer... I hope to be testing the one Shawn has soon. Tony has graciously offered his time and equipment for testing and DaveO is interested in testing... if the results are the same as Shawn saw (or even a decent fraction of it) this could be worthwhile... Time will tell.

Keep us updated! Let us know what the outcome is! If it works...two words "Group buy"!

-Sean

Old 04-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
Keep us updated! Let us know what the outcome is! If it works...two words "Group buy"!

-Sean
heck yah

Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM
TB spacer

I ordered one off of e-bay...

Now the million dollar question is.... which way/direction do you install the rifle bore to supposedly help with directing airflow?

I'm going to get a new Z-tube and cut it back a bit so that there are no crimps. I'll also probably get rid of the crinkle rubber tube that connects the z-tube to the MAF and replace it with something smooth... I know smooth tubes were worth over 10hp on my Viper GTS... if I could get 1-2hp or even better throttle response, it would be worth it..

Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 AM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, seems like a lot of back and forth. Im tempted to order one myself but I dont have easy access to a dyno for pre and post results. If I did, Id be all over it. I just feel that without dyno numbers, it'd be a placebo mod.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: throttle body spacer?