Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Test Pipes On 2007 G35S Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Pipes On 2007 G35S Sedan

Any idea if I were to install test pipes on my 07 G35S sedan if it would trigger a code? Also will it hurt or gain performance. Basically what are the pros and cons. Any feedback is welcome.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think any one yet makes test pipes for the 07. There is a thread on my350z about a new 07 Z Roadster(with the same HR engine), here: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260222.

If you follow the thread, a bone stock 07 Roadster was driven straight to the shop, where an exhaust and a set of test pipes were installed. The test pipes in particular showed nice gains. The exhaust showed gains as well, but only way up in the rpm band.

The flanges on the exhaust manifolds were different, so Sharif had to take the stock cats and cut the forward flanges off of them. He then cut the flanges off a set of TurboXS test pipes for the DE engine, and welded up the flanges from the stock cats.

Now - I don't know if the stock cats different between the 07 Z and sedan. They haven't in the past, but it's always a possibility. At this point, I'd recommend removing the cats and taking some photos of them, then posting them here.

Let's assume that the cats are interchangeable, and that the welding trick works. Do you really want to cut up your stock cats, or do you want to wait for model-specific test pipes to become available? I personally don't like the idea of cutting the stock cats. At some point, you will need to put the cats back on the car. What happens then? Pay the dealer way too much for new OE cats? Try to find a used pair online? Or cut the pipes/cats again? It's just not worth it IMO.

If you want feedback on test pipes themselves, then spend some time in the exhaust section. All of the behaviors we've experienced with test pipes on gen1 cars will continue to apply to the 07's.

And I have to assume that the ecu would throw a CEL with test pipes. There's always the non-fouler trick, possibly.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's alot of helpful information on that thread, thanks...

Do you think the result would be similar on my 07 G35S sedan currently with a Stillen catback system?

I purchased a set of Invidia test pipes for a 06 G35 coupe. Supposedly they will fit on my 07 Sedan. Do you think it will fit? Also if it throws a code what is the remedy? I also have the O2 simulators.

Btw do you know of any reputable shop in the Los Angeles area to install the test pipes. I tride but the bolts were extremely tight and difficult to reach, I also busted 2 extensions trying to break loose the bolts.