Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Installed XO2 exhaust (HKS Clone)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice~ sounds just like my friend's HKS...
im thinking of getting them...
350Z guys proved that it has similar hp gains as the real HKS...

i need to get rid of my greddy SP2 1st....

Old 05-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

EDIT: Added pics below.

Pepepr and anyone else who's installed this exhaust, did you have any exhaust leaks? I installed this on my G35 last Sunday and had some major exhaust leaks at 3 of the flanges (at both ends of the extension pipes, and the driver side muffler connection). I got back under there today and loosened it all up and attempted to fix it, but it's now worse than before

I noticed that the flanges on my extension pipes are completely out of wack. I laid them flat on the ground flange side down, and one of the flanges was not flat, it was angled more than all of the others. I tried installing the pipes every possible way, and there's no way this thing will ever seal properly.

Last edited by deviant1; 05-13-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 05-14-2007, 07:56 PM
They're supposed to warranty their stuff for 1 year, so my suggestion would be to start by calling them up.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my extensions had the EXACT same problem. I had some extra paper/metal-like gaskets & just doubled up on the gasket on the drivers side, no more leak for me. You could just buy an extra gasket, trim it and install...

ps: otherwise I'm VERY happy with the exhaust, sounds great, pretty good quality. Gets a 9/10 from me!

(edited for spellin & gramma) haha

Old 05-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Those two extensions were the last thing I installed because of that problem. I spent an extra 10 minutes test-fitting the extensions in place without gaskets, until I found the right combination. Both fit nice and flat after you get them in the right place.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by deviant1
EDIT: Added pics below.

Pepepr and anyone else who's installed this exhaust, did you have any exhaust leaks? I installed this on my G35 last Sunday and had some major exhaust leaks at 3 of the flanges (at both ends of the extension pipes, and the driver side muffler connection). I got back under there today and loosened it all up and attempted to fix it, but it's now worse than before

I noticed that the flanges on my extension pipes are completely out of wack. I laid them flat on the ground flange side down, and one of the flanges was not flat, it was angled more than all of the others. I tried installing the pipes every possible way, and there's no way this thing will ever seal properly.

If you look at the extension closely, you will see that one side is flat. this side to toward the rear. on the other side it will crooked/ angle abit. install it with this angle }"/====|" if you look from the side toward the front. If you are unlucky enought to get one long and one short extension then you will need to double up on the gasket and reused your old gasket for the front or rear. Remember you get what you paid for.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:40 PM
UPDATE: I contacted Invision Performance and they're gonna send me a new set of extensions.

FYI, I tried arranging the pipes in every way possible, and there is no way this thing will ever seal properly. The one flange is just short, and the angle is off. Even if I doubled the gaskets here, when I tighten it all down it will just pull apart the flange at the other end.

If the new ones come in with the same problem, I'm just gonna have a machinist shave them down so they are even.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:42 AM
Pepepr you will realize in a year or two why this "XO2" exhaust is $1000 cheaper than HKS.

You will realize it when the sound and the condition of your exhaust change as time goes on.

You want to know the difference? Go look into the metal grade of their exhausts and you will know, the amount of corrosion protection among a lot of other characteristics of various metal grades varies.

1 of the main thing i can tell you is the 'Alloying' content, when adding small amount of different metals (ex: Cr, Chromium) into Stainless Steel, (In this case, I believe that Exhaust systems usually use Ferritic Stainless Steels) the pricing of the overall product will greatly increases, of course it also have to do with how much alloying you are doing to the system.

Without going further into any detail, you GET what you PAY for. You really think a company would make the same quality exhaust as another company, but only to sell it for less than 1/2 the price of them? I am giving you some of the 'actual technical metallurgy information' regarding this matter.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
people are just hating...

Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 AM
No retard, it's call knowing the detail and living in a fairytale

Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by iChiBahN
Pepepr you will realize in a year or two why this "XO2" exhaust is $1000 cheaper than HKS.

You will realize it when the sound and the condition of your exhaust change as time goes on.

You want to know the difference? Go look into the metal grade of their exhausts and you will know, the amount of corrosion protection among a lot of other characteristics of various metal grades varies.

1 of the main thing i can tell you is the 'Alloying' content, when adding small amount of different metals (ex: Cr, Chromium) into Stainless Steel, (In this case, I believe that Exhaust systems usually use Ferritic Stainless Steels) the pricing of the overall product will greatly increases, of course it also have to do with how much alloying you are doing to the system.

Without going further into any detail, you GET what you PAY for. You really think a company would make the same quality exhaust as another company, but only to sell it for less than 1/2 the price of them? I am giving you some of the 'actual technical metallurgy information' regarding this matter.

I agree with everything IchiBahn says about the quality of the metalurgy, this is usually the difference between vender parts but does anyone have the actual content of the HKS vs the XO2 exhausts? Without a factual comparison of the compositions this is still just a theoretical discussion. Could they be the same composition? Doubtful. Is there a premium applies to the HKS system because of the name, Probably. I would say HKS has built in their RD and that is where part of the $1000.00 difference lies.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
enjoy it man, i got a team mate who has his sitting here at shop awaiting to get it installed

congrates man all that matters is that you like the exhuast

Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by iChiBahN
No retard, it's call knowing the detail and living in a fairytale

hey jacka$$... i didnt call you a name until now for a reason.... theres no need for name calling. i didnt buy the exhaust cuz it was an HKS replica. I bought it because it was a cheap mod and if i didnt like it, i could unload it easily. i dont care if i gained 1hp or 20hp. i like the way it sounds and thats all i wanted. i dont get why people like you have to chime in and rain on peoples parade. there have been a few threads that have been hijacked by the haters. give it up man... no one cares.

have a nice day.

Last edited by Pepper; 05-18-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
I am liking this exhaust and the price is attractive, should I just buy extra gasket pieces? from where? hardware store?

Old 07-13-2007, 03:12 AM
I think I may get this exhaust too. I'm not a big fan of replicas...but I can't justify spending 1300 on the HKS.