Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Differences in aftermarket intakes for auto sedans?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences in aftermarket intakes for auto sedans?

I recently just purchased an 06 G35X and have seen threads about intakes not fitting because it was not made for an automatic trans, Is there specific intakes that the auto transmissions use? Im specifically looking to get a Greddy Airinx or a ztube and pop charger set up.

TIA

Old 07-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Who told you this? From what I know, auto or manual, any aftermarket intake made for the G35 fits either transmission, coupe or sedan.

Personally, I would not do the pop charger unless you make your own heat shield or modify the existing "heat shield" on the pop charger.

Stillen Airboxs is the best in my opinion

Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
^^^^ plus 1 for the stillen intake. Pop-chargers just dont have a finished look IMO

Old 07-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Any opinions on the greddy Airinx intake for the G? This seems to be a newer intake on the market.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by Duff0000
Any opinions on the greddy Airinx intake for the G? This seems to be a newer intake on the market.
I've never heard of it.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:53 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock is the best for performance. look for DaveB's threads. if you're going for sound, stillen.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by absolutg
stock is the best for performance. look for DaveB's threads. if you're going for sound, stillen.
It hasn't been proven that stock is best. There's no doubt in my mind that the stock airbox of the VQ35 is very good; therefore, many aftermarket intakes yield little to no performance at all, depending on the specific aftermarket intake.

But I do believe that the Stillen intake can be a better intake (better flow), although the difference is minimal.

For me, its either Stillen or the stock airbox modified. Any other intakes usually have many cons over pros.

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2007, 08:08 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you read all the insanity daveB went through with testing intakes? most conclusive evidence as far as i'm concerned.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by absolutg
have you read all the insanity daveB went through with testing intakes? most conclusive evidence as far as i'm concerned.
you might be confusing DaveB with DaveO... DaveB has not done any amount of real world testing of intakes... DaveO has boatloads of real world data. funny how their user names are so similar however their info is so incredibly different.

If you want viable info - read everything... if you are able to do some analytical evaluation and talk to MANY people that have actually used various products, you will be mod fortified and able to make truly informed decisions.

This post is not up for debate or dispute. It is simply a good word of advice for those that are serious about making their G perform.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just installed ztube and popcharger i couldnt be happier man its LOUD atleast for me it is i love it. I have never heard the ztube/stillen is the stillen much louder than the popcharger?

Also another question does a heatshield make a hell of a difference? or is it just minor thing not even noticeable?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Originally Posted by toymachine2009
I just installed ztube and popcharger i couldnt be happier man its LOUD atleast for me it is i love it. I have never heard the ztube/stillen is the stillen much louder than the popcharger?

Also another question does a heatshield make a hell of a difference? or is it just minor thing not even noticeable?
The popcharger is louder than the stillen. As far as the heatshield goes you defn need it, it dosent do much, but without it you are sucking hot air straight from the motor.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Sorry for the newb question, but the Z tube can be installed onto the stock filter box correct? It seems all you get from it is sound.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by kleicoupe
The popcharger is louder than the stillen. As far as the heatshield goes you defn need it, it dosent do much, but without it you are sucking hot air straight from the motor.
The heatshield has to be all or nothing. The stock airbox is a true heatshield because it seals the filter from both hot air and radient heat. The JWT PC heatsheild is just a plate that shields the filter from radient heat, but not hot air. The Stillen CAI is a step in the right direction, but the front and driver's side portions of the airbox are wide open exposing the filter to hot air, especially from the nearby radiator with 200+ degree fluid. It's beyond me why Stillen just didn't make the entire box enclosed. It would have been so easy and such a better design.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Duff0000
Sorry for the newb question, but the Z tube can be installed onto the stock filter box correct? It seems all you get from it is sound.
Yes and yes.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 AM
For those debating on whether or not which intake system is best or most/least restrictive take note of this article and notice how many of these race modified Z/G's are running slightly modded stock intakes and also that they're some of the most powerful and quickest around the track:

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/featur...2/z33_v35.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Differences in aftermarket intakes for auto sedans?