Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Borla install and review.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nice, thanks.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds great, I'd love to hear one in person. Is this the full Borla cat back? How much did you pick it up for, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm glad the Borla is working out for you, Jeff. I probably would have kept mine if I had a 6MT and could vary the operating rpms to stay out of the resonance range. I just couldn't handle the noise and NVH. I'm a picky little *itch though The 05+ midpipe gave me the sound I want, so I'm happy now. I wish I had the bling of the exhaust though. Having all that piping peeking out the back of the car was pretty sweet.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I bought it used. They go for around $550-$600 shipped. Yes it's the one in the picture. Full cat(s) back.

Originally Posted by hoenignd
Sounds great, I'd love to hear one in person. Is this the full Borla cat back? How much did you pick it up for, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Red Card Crew

I'm actually experimenting on how to avoid the resonance also. Ie... accerlate a bit faster than ease off the gas and cruise etc..

I'm having a hard time finding dyno figures though. Should be almost what the Stillen type 1 does?

Originally Posted by DaveB
I'm glad the Borla is working out for you, Jeff. I probably would have kept mine if I had a 6MT and could vary the operating rpms to stay out of the resonance range. I just couldn't handle the noise and NVH. I'm a picky little *itch though The 05+ midpipe gave me the sound I want, so I'm happy now. I wish I had the bling of the exhaust though. Having all that piping peeking out the back of the car was pretty sweet.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha. This is what I get for not reading the instructions.

I think I installed the Y portion upside down. In the pic, the BORLA is on top. The instructions have the Y resonator blank on the bottom. I was noticing that if you install it upside down like I did, it tucks really tight. I don't think there's a flow problem. Each side should be indentical. I suppose worst case, I could drop it and flip it over. But since it doesn't rattle, I'm going to leave it. Unless someone knows more than I can chime in with any possible problems.

Dave, I'll keep an ear out for the sound. I plan on monitoring the mileage also

Drove it to work today. There is a tad bit more vibrations but I think it's from the resonance.
My borla had some fitment problems and the Y pipe rubbed on the Transmission mount had to have it bent out to keep it from rubbing. Also i remember having the same problem on install on witch way the y pipe goes.. They don't really state it in the Directions at all.

Has anyone with borla exhuast had their y pipe taken out and replaced the muffler with just pipes? Im thinking about having this done..

Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ Hotness
My borla had some fitment problems and the Y pipe rubbed on the Transmission mount had to have it bent out to keep it from rubbing. Also i remember having the same problem on install on witch way the y pipe goes.. They don't really state it in the Directions at all.

Has anyone with borla exhuast had their y pipe taken out and replaced the muffler with just pipes? Im thinking about having this done..

I was wondering the same thing. I installed my borla about a month ago and would like a little more sound.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Red Card Crew

I thought I had mine upside down. But after really looking close at the pdf instructions, you can see that the "borla" on the Y is shown installed toward the ground. ie.. visible if you look at it.
From what I can tell, if you install the "borla" up, it will cause that portion to hang down lower. So I don't know why yours hit the tranny mount.

I'm not sure why you want to get rid of that muffler. I assume because it's hitting? It would be really loud IMHO if you replaced it with straight pipe and there would be no scavanging from each side. It would require a H or X pipe.

If it's hitting, you could try installing it upside down and see if that gives you clearance. I doubt it matters which way you install the Y. The flow is the same

Originally Posted by VQ Hotness

Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Red Card Crew

Well I can tell you this exhaust doesn't rasp at all. But I think most don't unless you go test pipes or maybe some hi flow cats

Originally Posted by DeadCellShadix
Nice man /props on DIY. I plan on either getting Borla or Stillen. Its kinda 50/50 right now. Although i do like the way Injen sounds as well. Im mainly looking for the deep sporty sound. Not the high performance raspy sound. But grats bro..

Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Well I can tell you this exhaust doesn't rasp at all. But I think most don't unless you go test pipes or maybe some hi flow cats
I didn't get a rasp either. It had a pretty loud snarl on start up in cold 20 to 30 degree weather though.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Well this is why I'm putting straight pipes in place of the Y pipe and its muffler.

The muffler lays to low and is in the middle of the car so it Scraps on a lot of speed bumps, but not to bad but over time its become a nasty gapping hole. The only plus side to it is that supposedly when I'm on it and i shift gears the bottom of my car is illuminated by a blue flame.

So I'm going to put some pipes in place of the muffler and see how it sounds.

Last edited by VQ Hotness; 10-12-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Red Card Crew

wow. Hey, I bet you could cut that resonator off and have someone weld in an X pipe. Might pick up a few hp

Old 10-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Omg Its Growing Hair !!!!

Lol

Old 10-12-2007, 05:13 PM
I think i just ran a dog over. But Explain this X pipe?

Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Red Card Crew

For instance, the Stillen Gen 1 uses and X pipe instead of a huge muffler. It's supposed to be loud though. But if you are going with straight pipe, might as well try to gain a few hp w/ this. I've read a few Z guys doing this

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Borla install and review.