Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen Dual Exhuast Problem Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Dual Exhuast Problem Sedan

Does anyone how to silence the stillen dual exhuast for sedan. The sound is starting to get to me, i love the extra hp but would like it silent such as a silencer for certain exhuast.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:19 AM
Re: Stillen Dual Exhuast Problem Sedan

AFAIK there isn't such a thing as a silencer for the Stillen exhaust. What you could try is adding two more resonators to the system, one for each bank. Just off the top of my head I think there's enough room behnind the Stillen resonators to add another resonator. How long of a one I don't know. You would have to get under the car and measure to get an idea of what length of a resonator you can use. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. I would be very interested to see the results if you do end up using more resonators.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium

Old 03-08-2004, 12:26 PM

How about some dynamat ?

-T

'03 Sedan 5a: BS/G, Prem, Aero/Body, Sport, Nav
Click for MODS or Vote at Online Showoff

Old 03-09-2004, 04:18 PM

Dynamat is only good for enclosed areas such as trunk, door pannels etc. good idea though

Old 03-10-2004, 05:06 AM

Well i went to a muffler shop today and they couldnt figure out anyway to do it. I guess i have to stop stepping on the gas hard all the time and start light footing once in a while now.

Old 03-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will trade you my stock system, straight across for your stillen, i will even pay shipping? Just messing.

you can always cut out stillen resonators and put larger ones in that way you should have more room to work with

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Custom Catback, Custom Intake Tube, HyperGround Kit

Old 03-11-2004, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the tip but ive decided to keep the exhuast as it is. Since i already spent so much might as well just enjoy it as it is without spending more.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

G35Performance (enthusiast )
03/10/04 02:06 AM

Well i went to a muffler shop today and they couldnt figure out anyway to do it. I guess i have to stop stepping on the gas hard all the time and start light footing once in a while now.

They couldn't figure anything out? Sounds fishy to me, I'd use another shop. Looking at the system the resonator's look like their 14", that explains to me some of the noise issues. You should be able to remove them and install a pair of 22"by 4" Magnaflow mufflers as resonators. That should take you in the direction that you want sound wise. Next step would be to find a muffler that has less of a straight through design. But the problem with that is it's next to impossible to find a muffler that has it's outlet pipes towards the bottom of the muffler body, meaning the replacement would have to hang down a bit for the tail pipes to clear the rear bumber facia. I'd do the resonator replace first. My custom system would have 22" Magnaflow resonator's, but my X-crossover was a touch to long, I could only fit 18".

Just remember, anything you do can alway's be reversed in the unlikely event that it's not a positive step forward. I recommend that you advise the shop to do any install with the notion that the work should be done to make reversal easy.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 03-13-2004, 01:38 AM

One thing you might want to try is grounding cables. When I compared the sound of my car to another without them (and similar intake, plenum, exhaust), it was both more silent and smooth. They really make a big difference. Gordgee sells them (if you haven't seen the big thread yet).

2003.5 6MT Brilliant Silver G35 Sedan
Injen CAI, Crawford Plenum, Stillen Exhaust
<font color=blue>GroundingGear™ Equipped</font color=blue>

Old 03-13-2004, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I actually have stillen powerbox, dual exhuast, and grounding cable i bought from someone on this forum(sorry forgot his username). Yea i will try and dynamat the car since i might upgrade the sound system later.