Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

What is a cat back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a cat back exhaust?

I'm sorry to ask such a stupid question. I just purchased a G35 sedan AT and after reading these sites, I'm interested in finding out more about improving the performance of an already great car. The two things I hear about most often for improving power is a super charger and a cat back exhaust. The former I understand pretty well, the latter... not so well. So can someone explain it to me? is 20 or so HP gains manufacturer hype or a reality? I'm assuming the systems give a better (slightly louder?) exhaust note? Do they do anything for stuff like fuel economy? What exactly does cat back mean? Anyways, sorry for the stupid questions.

Andrew

Old 04-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: What is a cat back exhaust?

I've got to step carefully here. A cat-back exhaust is supposed to mean that the new exhaust system has piping that runs from the catalytic converter(s) back to the muffler(s). Thing is, on these cars to truely be a cat-back system you will have to replace the Y-pipe too, not all systems do that. Also, sometimes a system will do away with the Y-pipe by being a true dual exhaust. That is, two pipes one each for each side of the motor.

Here's a pic of my exhaust system, it's show's my car after I replaced the oem premuffler (see where the pipe get's fat just past the blue rear sway bar). Now notice as the exhaust goes to the front of the car that it splits. That is the Y-pipe. It is one of the most restrictive elements on the entire system, make it a priority to either eliminate it by picking a true dual exhast system like the Stillen or Borla. Or replace it with a aftermarket Y-pipe.

I now have a custom true dual system

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 04-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A cat back exhaust is a replacement for all of the exhaust pieces after the catalytic converters. It includes mufflers and all of the connecting tubing after the catalytic converters.

2004.5 DG/G 5AT Coupe with all options
Sidemarker turnsignal mod
GroundingGear™
2003 Yamaha YZF600R

Old 04-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I've seen some systems for the G35 labeled as "cat-back" and they are in fact Y-pipe back. Buyer beware.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 04-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No question is a stupid question man. "There are no stupid questions just stupid people" -Mr. Garrison.

Thanks - Joey Avino